Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Help! Think I have the dreaded POOP mountain

I have read and read some more about this issue, and we are always careful making sure there is water in the black tank, only dumping when almost full. We bought a 33RLDS in April used (2012) the previous owners used it for 1 season. I am really starting to think we bought it with this issue. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that even after adding the right amount of chemicals there would start to be an odour after a few days. we would empty the tank fill it again and empty again a few times ,add the right amount of water and chemical and go home for the week. Upon returning everything would be fine then day 2 a smell, even checked pipe on roof not blocked.(of course our sensors are showing 2/3 full) This past weekend I had hubby turn the water off and I stuck a flash light down hmmm appeared the tank had not emptied completely, so I stuck a toilet brush as far as my hand would reach and started brushing what I think is the bottom and whatever I could reach. the brush was full of little bits of toilet paper (we use the rv type) at one point some more liquid started to drain.

So my main question is since we are on a seasonal site and there is no way of taking the trailer for a little spin around the block what should I do to solve this issue. I just bought a king flush but the water pressure at the park is not great. I do plan on hooking it up and giving it a try. I honestly think I need to add some type of safe chemical and let it sit to break up the crud that seems to have formed!

I told hubby once this problem is solved NO MORE TP in the toilet!

Not a happy camper at this moment. (never had this problem at all with our previous trailer)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

Open the valve and dump hot water from a 5 gallon pail right through the open toilet valve. This should get things going. Then flush the tank with regular water if equipped with the flush. Close the valve, dump 2 more pails of hot water in there and let it sit for an hour or two with a cup of pinesol then fill to the top and pull the dump valve. Flush again and treat as you would normally to start a week. This should get you back to a good tank that will require less flushing overall.

The hot water will aid in breaking down the TP mountain and paper faster than cold and the 5 gallon dump will hit the pile with some force.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Thank you so much I was just asking hubby if he thought hot water might do the trick! Thanks again will try this ASAP!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

Our 33rlds has a flush from the factory. I guess yours does not? I notice I always have troubles getting a complete flush without using it. Maybe that's why they come with it now.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Our 33rlds has a flush from the factory. I guess yours does not? I notice I always have troubles getting a complete flush without using it. Maybe that's why they come with it now.
If we had one from the factory we would know its not hiding in some compartment???
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

N,o our fitting for the flush is right above the gravity water fill hole which I thought was a dumb place for it. lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Along with the other suggestions, I would use a little more water with each toilet usage..... helps the chemicals control odor and break down solids.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

According to my wife, Calgon. See said to put some in with clear water, let set, then drain. Repeat as necessary, your results may vary.
We seriously limit the TP put into our tank. Any solids for that matter.
Once you do get ready to move yours, I would give the black tank a good amount of fresh water then stop and drain that after sloshing for many miles.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Along with the other suggestions, I would use a little more water with each toilet usage..... helps the chemicals control odor and break down solids.

Bob
And if you can don't dump until the tank is full. The extra water will help loosen things up. Also Rid-X now has a RV product on the market and it does help liquify the solids.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #11

Original poster, check and see if you hqave the black tank water spinner. The location will be on the center of the TT where the fresh water fill and your city water hook up are. If you do have this feature start using it. It works well and prevents issues like the one you presently have.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

We use tons of TP. I guess we like our butts clean. lol. I only add a blue pouch to help control odors as I don't think any solids really break down in 2 or 3 days no matter what you put in there. Having a flush is a huge help in getting it all out and if you don't have one, I would get one..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #13

I've heard that you can dump a 5 pound bag of ice cubes down the toilet and then drive to your next camp ground and it will break up the solids in the black tank. By the time you get there the ice will melt and help liquify everything.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstarsmoon View Post
I have read and read some more about this issue, and we are always careful making sure there is water in the black tank, only dumping when almost full. We bought a 33RLDS in April used (2012) the previous owners used it for 1 season. I am really starting to think we bought it with this issue. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that even after adding the right amount of chemicals there would start to be an odour after a few days. we would empty the tank fill it again and empty again a few times ,add the right amount of water and chemical and go home for the week. Upon returning everything would be fine then day 2 a smell, even checked pipe on roof not blocked.(of course our sensors are showing 2/3 full) This past weekend I had hubby turn the water off and I stuck a flash light down hmmm appeared the tank had not emptied completely, so I stuck a toilet brush as far as my hand would reach and started brushing what I think is the bottom and whatever I could reach. the brush was full of little bits of toilet paper (we use the rv type) at one point some more liquid started to drain.

So my main question is since we are on a seasonal site and there is no way of taking the trailer for a little spin around the block what should I do to solve this issue. I just bought a king flush but the water pressure at the park is not great. I do plan on hooking it up and giving it a try. I honestly think I need to add some type of safe chemical and let it sit to break up the crud that seems to have formed!

I told hubby once this problem is solved NO MORE TP in the toilet!

Not a happy camper at this moment. (never had this problem at all with our previous trailer)
I've used the flush king for years. I do find it necessary to backflush 2-3X to get it all(for the most part). TTis light enough to rock back and forth which may or not help. Fill it 2/3 to full and pull the gatevalve. Haven't had any odor probs
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #15

If you're going to be there every week, why not try to fill the tank with water and cleaners (Pine Sol, calgon, sewer juice, or even RidX) and leave it for the week?

Top off and dump your tank first like you normally would, then fill with water and cleaner or what not, let the mixture dissolve everything in your tank during the week. Then when you get to the site next Friday, dump the tank first thing, close the valve, fill with fresh water and dump again. This is the first thing I would do, try to get the tank as clean as possible, and start from scratch.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstarsmoon View Post
I have read and read some more about this issue, and we are always careful making sure there is water in the black tank, only dumping when almost full. We bought a 33RLDS in April used (2012) the previous owners used it for 1 season. I am really starting to think we bought it with this issue. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that even after adding the right amount of chemicals there would start to be an odour after a few days. we would empty the tank fill it again and empty again a few times ,add the right amount of water and chemical and go home for the week. Upon returning everything would be fine then day 2 a smell, even checked pipe on roof not blocked.(of course our sensors are showing 2/3 full)
I felt like I was reading my exact story. We bought a private party used 2012 JayFlight earlier this year, taken it out on three trips for a total of 16 nights. Each trip by the evening of day 2 the bath room would start to stink...

- Initially thought the toilet was being flushed with fan on -- Nope
- Checked "one-way" plumbing vent under bathroom sink -- Nope, that is grey water only from sink and was working just fine.
- Checked roof vent and its vent freely and not to close to roof vent -- Nope that is all looking good.

Last resort, I drained the tank as good as I could, installed the "Quickie Flush", let the caulking cure and proceeded to rinse the tank. I was shocked at the amount of material I flushed from that tank.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #17

I used a scrap piece of 3/4 PVC...put down hole...stirred around a little..fixed it. Thru away PVC.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

A 10 pound bag of ice and 5 gallons of water dumped in just before a drive (tow) with several stop n go's has been known to break up the solids.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
I used a scrap piece of 3/4 PVC...put down hole...stirred around a little..fixed it. Thru away PVC.
This makes a lot of sense for a trailer that is not moving. Use a LOT of water with each flush. Out trailer sits for 6 months at a time and after dumping I always fill the toilet two or three times to the top and dump it into the tank. It is not unusual for a toilet to smell after a few days.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
Original poster, check and see if you hqave the black tank water spinner. The location will be on the center of the TT where the fresh water fill and your city water hook up are. If you do have this feature start using it. It works well and prevents issues like the one you presently have.
I don't think we have that but I am going to double check for sure!