Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
I have had an Artic Fox and it was fantastic. I'm in the East where there are few if any dealers. So that's why I now have a Jayco. We have had issues with it!!!! It just came back from the factory in May for repairs. With the way Jayco has handled my warranty work, I'm not at all sure that I would jump ship even if I could. I think Artic Fox is a first class manufacturer. The Fox that I used to own had some furnishings that were subpar. So did the the Jayco. All companies are working to cut cost so that they can be competitive. Grand Design is too new to evaluate. They have very little history to pass judgment on. What ever you get, make sure that you get the double pane windows. Either Jayco or Artic Fox are good units. They both have two year warranties. The dealership would probably be my determining factor.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
Originally Posted by josieo View Post
as Amish build these coaches including the furniture so as well helps with problems that you won't have as many places to go to fix everything if you ever need it even.
And that Amish thing is a BIG sales pitch that Jayco uses. Trouble is, ever stop at an Amish furniture store? Nice solid stuff but poor finish work. Jayco is no different. Solid products but the fit and finish leaves something to be desired. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but each Jayco I've owned needed a little TLC to align and fix minor issues in the first few months of ownership.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
All appliances, tires, frames and even the rubber roofs have their own warranties. The manufactures warranties are typically 2-5 years, and longer on the roofs.
I'm going to check this out but not sure it is factual. Just sayin

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have a coworker that has had a few campers with both electric and hydraulic levelers and slide outs drives. He has told me he never wants another unit with hydraulics again. He had numerous issues with hydraulics leaking, blowouts, and so forth.
I've had 3 motorhomes. Both of the units with hydraulic levelers had issues. One needed the pump replaced the second needed the hydraulic rams replaced. Both repairs were $250-$400 range (DIY).

I can't live without a slide, sorry... But they do add complication.

And yes, appliances may have their own warranties, but generally the replacement of an appliance is about 50% of the cost of the repair... And you can't USE the warranty unless you have a "certified" tech come check it out and diagnose it. That is, the warranty will save you labor costs that you're going to incur even if DIY.

The bigger question is - if you buy at a dealer what is the dealer's reputation for service quality and turn around time. We've got a bunch of dealers where I am, all of them have fairly bad service reputations and wait times. They'll do a great job at selling you an RV.. At fixing it, not so much...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
DW and I have looked at the following Arctic Fox, Grand Design and of course Jayco. I have to admit I kind of posted this Q before but the title really sucked.. So sorry if anyone feels this a bad re-post...

Wife and I currently own a 07 30.5BHS and we are in need of a different floor plan, kid is all grown up now and the bunk room is now just a BIG closet LOL

So we have been looking at Jayco, Grand Design, and Arctic Fox. I have to say I like my current Jayco and would buy another but I have to admit I really love the hydraulic auto leveling system, its fast easy and fairly stable. that is on the Grand, and even the SF has the electric version. ... But not even an option on the Jayco? Looks to be on the 2015 now for now
The other 2 brands have larger hot water heaters
The day night shades don't really block day like I would think they should.

Anyone know why Jayco hasn't started using hydraulic systems yet? jacks, slides ETC?
Have the slide issues with the Schwintek system be resolved yet?

Frustrated shopper right now need help.
Anyone have things I should look at in comparison to the other brands.... we almost have too many options "dealers" locally.
Dave, the Arctic Fox that I had was equipped with a 10 gal. hot water heater of a different manufacturer. I thought originally that it was a step back to go come back to a 6 gal heater. Time has proven me wrong. The water temps. on the Atwood are hotter from the start and the recovery time is much faster. Maybe the newer 10 gal. units are faster. That I don't know. From our experience and needs, a larger hot water system would not be a plus. On the slide systems, I really don't think one system is better then another. Its what you are used to. Ive had hydraulic pumps in dump trailers. In time there is always some oil seepage either in the tank , pump or hoses.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
I currently own a Nash, made by Northwood, the same company that makes the Artic Fox. I love my Nash, it is well built and feels solid. Its too small and too old and had a leak that it took too long for me to find. I would take another Nash or Artic Fox in a heartbeat, just can't afford it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Most dealers are not so much at fixing.

greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote