Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Help with black tank

My wife and I are ate one of the few Oklahoma lakes that is not flooded. Been here since Saturday. This morning I went to drain the black tank into the tote, and the tank got about half full and the tank is plugged up. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do to unplug it. Planned on being here for another 3 days. Can someone please advise me how to remedy this stinking problem? We have a Jay Flight and never had this problem before.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

You could try elevating your Sewer hose above the level of the tank. The roof level would be good . Then fill the hose with fresh water to create a head pressure on the tank and open the black tank valve. Hopefully this additional head pressure would dislodge whatever is blocking the line.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

A clothes peg, some gloves, and a long stick.. Ewwww
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
My wife and I are ate one of the few Oklahoma lakes that is not flooded. Been here since Saturday. This morning I went to drain the black tank into the tote, and the tank got about half full and the tank is plugged up. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do to unplug it. Planned on being here for another 3 days. Can someone please advise me how to remedy this stinking problem? We have a Jay Flight and never had this problem before.
This can happen when your stationary, and not able to use the flush system. What paper are you using? Do you use plenty of water with each flush? May be able to fill the tank with fresh water, especially if you can put it in with a hose. Even a full take of water may help dislodge what is most likely a paper blockage.

Otherwise, I would go to a dump station with water available, and as stated above, use a stick to see if it is blocked near the gate valve. Doing so where, if it "un blocks with force" it will be retained in the damned up dump area, which you can then rise off.

Good luck

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not sure how the clothes peg is or would work, Skaling.
Mdany, I kind of wondered about head pressure, but I don't know that I can hold up that line.
Wags999, my black tank was full to begin with that was the reason I was trying to dump it to the tote. As for toilet paper, we are using Scott's brand single ply made for RV and try to use plenty of water. We have been camping in a trailer for almost 10 years and never had this problem before, so I don't know if there is a foreign object in there or if we've just been negligent in our procedure.
Either way the problem exists. I'm wondering now if something like a flush king would give enough head pressure to move the blockage?
Thanks again for all help,
Poppy
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 AM   #6

I think the clothes peg is for the nose
Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 AM   #7

Another thing to check is the valve handle. On my old rig, the extension rod from the valve to the handle became disconnected and I could not close the valve. That was on my Grey tank though, but something to consider especially with an enclosed underbelly.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Thanks mdany. I don't have an enclosed underbelly, and I can see that the rod is still connected to the valve.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Cue Tips, those **** wipes are always problematic. It's amazing, even when using all the proper paper etc, how the tank really doesn't drain clean. I drained mine yesterday, ran the tank flush for maybe two minutes, opening and closing the valve to allow water to build up, and my tank indicator shows 3/4 full. Indicating something is on the sensor. Will run the flush again today and see what happens.

May of been a long time building up and then let go and got clogged in the drain. Most likely paper dried, hardened and can almost be like a rock. I have seen it before on campers rigs...again took it to the dump station, opened it and got a short rod to unplug and let it go ! Not fun, but don't know of another way.

Washing while dumping seems to be the only way to make sure you don't have a problem in the making, and of course, using only the right paper, no cue tips, no tampons, no wipes etc. This is not your home plumbing system and it does have smaller piping and openings
Good Luck.

Google the "Geo Method" for keeping your tank clean...worked on other RVs I have had well.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

Unbeknownst to me, my wife added a second bottle of treatment last night. This morning I filled the tank with a pressure hose and it broke through. So, I'm in good shape now. Thanks again everyone. Your the best.
Poppy
Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #11

It is a toilet paper dam at the outlet. Looks like you got it going.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

Enjoy, what lake were you camping? I just got back from Carl Blackwell myself up near Stillwater.. Was gorgeous!
Coach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #13

Hey, Coach33. Just got back and all is unloaded. We spent the week at Canton Lake. It's still about 4 feet below normal.