Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #21

My truck has push button doorlock so i keep my main set of extra keys in the truck.

I also use the 751 key to gain access to another set of key on the trailer... Like said just about everyone you would run into will have the 751 key....

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #22

After finding a few of those crushed magnetic key cases when walking the dog I'm glad that my mode has always been to tape a spare vehicle key into a wiring harness.

I generally wrap the key in some waxed paper and then use black electrical tape to secure the key to a harness under the vehicle. Before hood locks I'd tape it under the hood somewhere. Now I generally tape to the harness for the trailer lights/hitch. After a short time the tape ages and blends in with the harness. Besides that, who knows what harness repairs needed extra tape?

That said, hiding a key in the refrigeration access panel of a travel trailer sounds like an excellent plan. Gotta do that.

Changing over the storage door lock to different number...
As was mentioned. Those doors can be levered open with a screwdriver even quicker than one can operate the lock. You won't keep anyone out that is really determined.

I suppose I should start locking my storage doors?

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #23

I thought about the magnetic key holder, but I'm afraid that it would fall off the first bumpy road we drive down. That's why hiding the key holder inside the bumper came to mind. But I do like the idea of hiding the key inside the exterior fridge panel.

I also don't think the average RVer knows that the 751 key is universal; no salesman or RV tech has ever told me that and the only place I hear it mentioned is online forums. Other RVers we sometimes camp with didn't know it either, and I've shared the "secret" with those I know who won't abuse it.

And I hesitate in letting DW carry around an extra set of keys in her purse. Sometimes it seems like it's a bottomless void where things go to disappear forever....
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #24

We carried a spare door key in a magnetic box that I tucked inside the bumper curve on our old pup. The bottom of the bumper stopped the box from sliding down and we never lost it. With the HTT I put a box in with the water heater controls. If someone wants to break into the trailer they will, but at least we can keep the casual opportunists honest.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'd like to do this. Can you share some links for what you used? Or link me to your write-up or something?

I have too many keys, and it's getting annoying.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ets-14167.html

The above thread has a website link where I got hatch cyclinder locks that are keyed to the trailer's factory Global Link door key. So one key opens everything and it's nice to get rid of the universal 751 that everyone has. ThreeButchers helped me figure out which one I needed if I recall.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
It's just for my convince because these trailers are super easy to break into.
Unbelievably easy. Almost anyone with a camping trailer has storage compartment door keys that will fit the storage doors on every brand of trailer made for the last 10-15 years - maybe earlier. Unlock a pass-thru door, then crawl in and push the bed up, and you're inside.

That's something that would probably be noticed in a campground, but not at a storage facility, or in an unlit storage space beside your house - especially late at night or when you are gone..

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
I keep a complete set of keys for all the trailers locks in an extra large magnetic key holder hidden on the frame of the trailer. The standard size ones won't fit all the keys.
http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-Pro...KA7T31GGGMJC7A

X2
Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
My wife and I each carry a key. So we'd both have to loose our key to have an issue.

+ 2,3,4 lost count
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #29

I keep the spares in the TV, not the TT.

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I'm planning on taking a set of the trailer keys to a locksmith some time in the new year and having an extra set or two made up just in case. I had actually lost a set of keys for our old hybrid once -- never found them again -- but fortunately I had a spare set in the truck. Not an experience I want to repeat. Then I got to thinking, is there a way of hiding a set of emergency keys on the outside of the trailer, some place out of sight, easy to get to, and won't get lost? You can get those magnetic key holder things for your car, and I know there's plenty of exposed steel on a travel trailer to stick it on, places like underneath the frame, inside the bumper, and so on. Has anyone done this?
I have replaced the storage hatch locks with a combination lock. I would just send in one one the kids through the compartment and lift the bund and your in. However, you can put the spare in the compartment then its locked up!
grizzlypower2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #31

It's all about the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlypower2001 View Post
I have replaced the storage hatch locks with a combination lock. I would just send in one of the kids through the compartment and lift the bunk and you're in. However, you can put the spare in the compartment then its locked up!
Less the kid, that is exactly how we handle it too. Granted, someone motivated enough can get into whatever they want ... but hiding our spare TT and TV keys deep within a combo-locked storage hatch is a degree of security with which we are comfortable - and we don't need a key to get to the key(s). Kinda like our storage lot - it is a keyed/camera/well-lit lot within a compound where there are 24-hour guards who require touching the ID pass card before granting entry. Neither will stop those fully motivated from breaking and entering and stealing, but it sure reduces the size of the population who would! It's all about the odds AND the quality of your insurance

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #32

My expedition has a combination lock so I keep trailer keys in it and an extra expedition key in the trailer.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #33

I keep a set on my regular keychain, a set in my glove compartment, and a set hidden in an over size hide a key box. Plus my wife carries a set. Lol!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ets-14167.html

The above thread has a website link where I got hatch cyclinder locks that are keyed to the trailer's factory Global Link door key. So one key opens everything and it's nice to get rid of the universal 751 that everyone has. ThreeButchers helped me figure out which one I needed if I recall.
That's PERFECT! Thank you!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #35

FWIW, when I lost the keys to our hybrid and had another set made, the locksmith had a heck of a time finding the proper key blanks (yes, I went to a real locksmith, not the kid at the hardware store! ). He found that the key blanks for "The Club" steering wheel lock were the right ones, just a little too long. It was no problem for him to grind it down to the right length.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #36

Just have to share ... since we're discussing security/theft/locks-and-keys! We JUST finalized securing our new 6-v Trojan T-145 batteries (click to see pic) and dual-propane tanks with shackles. Again, just a deterrent - won't stop someone REALLY motivated but probably will cause them to look elsewhere for easier targets.

BTW, we also lock-down our Electrical Management System and 2 generators when being used.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #37

I picked up one of these and bolted it to the frame

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.k...000167065.html
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #38

Just be sure NOT to do what a customer did years ago. He had a small accident with his pick up. Preparing to replace the front grille , I opened the hood, with the INTERIOR hood release. There, high up on the firewall, behind the engine, was his spare key in a magnetic key holder !!! Yes, no thief could find the spare key, but the owner could not access it if his truck was locked. I always think of this when someone mentions hiding a spare key.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Hope you don't put it where road grime will get to it...........you might not able to unlock it. It should be mounted inside a rainproof bag. It never hurts to have a spare key around in emergencies.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote