Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

High Voltage At Home Base Site

My home base site is in a residential area and for the past two morning at a few minutes until 6:00am my PT50C shut off my power. It comes right back on after the 2+ minute delay. For those that don't know, the PT50C is set to shut off power is the incoming line voltage exceeds 132 volts and the fault code set was high voltage on leg 2. I reported it to the power company both times and a lineman just left. All checks out fine here, but there is an industrial plant a few blocks away that he told me has caused some issues with large electric motors being overloaded, etc. He asked me to report it again tomorrow if it happens and he will run it up the ladder to engineering this evening.

My point is even at a residential site shore power isn't 100% perfect all the time.

Again, I will never ever plug in anywhere without my PT50C being inline.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

You may want to have your own residential panel and wiring checked for an open neutral. It's a condition that can often cause voltage spikes.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Team

It can cause havoc in a rv, especially if it comes and goes. The PT50C should shut it down.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
You may want to have your own residential panel and wiring checked for an open neutral. It's a condition that can often cause voltage spikes.
This is true.
But normally if the voltage is correct at the power company transformer, not much on your end will change it.
The industrial load may be the cause, but not at fault.
Utility companies sometimes switch capacitors and regulators on time vs load.
If this is the case and the industrial plant had a large load off line for maintenance or repair, you would see a spike in voltage.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Team

You can insist that the local power utility put a temporary voltage/current data logger on your lines coming in, but you need to make sure that you have eliminated any and all in house possibilities. Like have you purchased anything new that is electric (motor...), do you have a ground rod that is properly installed by the electrical box? All connections to the outlet that you are using to connect to the TT are tight? Hot, Neutral and Ground connections are tight in the service panel? Possible that an existing house AC compressor motor may be going bad? Fridge or freezer in the basement going bad? Try another outlet?

If it continues, and they prove that it is external to your location, you can have the local power utility go to the industrial complex and monitor their main service to them to see if they may be the cause of your problems. If they are, the utility will investigate the problem and possibly install new/different type transformers at the site or add a add a power capacitor bank to their incoming service to eliminate spikes an fluctuations. Are the neighbors turning on their electric water heaters for the 6 am showers? You know the ones that have to work everyday..

If you are sure that the problem is external to your residence and the power company will not do anything, you may want to look into installing your own power capacitor (Not sure of the exact name) for 220VAC.

Good Luck,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Yes, you should all connections. I bad neutral connection can cause an voltage increase in one or both legs of 240 volt. If you can't find the problem call the utility, the trouble man should have a Super Beast that replaces the meter and puts load on the service wires. It will let you know the voltage of both legs under load as well as checks for bad neutral on the service.
If its not the utility fault then call good electrician to find the bad neutral connection on your side of the meter.
J Harlen Company Inc. - Super Beast Combo Secondary Service Conductor Tester
Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
2X As an electrical contractor I see this regularly. It causes light bulb to "blow", televisions, microwaves, anything electronic or a compressor to burn up.
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralex View Post
2X As an electrical contractor I see this regularly. It causes light bulb to "blow", televisions, microwaves, anything electronic or a compressor to burn up.
Wouldn't it also cause the meter to spin like a top and jack up your bill? Or am I asking about a few pennies?
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #9

A bad connection will not cause the meter to spin faster.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 AM   #10
bap

It's highly doubtful that if the OP had any problems with his residential power system that it would occur at the exact same time every day and only at that time.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
It's highly doubtful that if the OP had any problems with his residential power system that it would occur at the exact same time every day and only at that time.
If the power company lineman was right and the industrial plant close by has been causing some feedback issues, it could certainly happen at the same time every day. Such as when they turn on a big load to start the work day?

It didn't happen yesterday morning or yesterday at all. The jury is still out this morning since it is 5:39am right now.

But I don't care how doubtful it is, I know what happened two days in a row at the same time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 10-28-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrmike View Post
A bad connection will not cause the meter to spin faster.
I was wondering about the voltage spikes from the power company.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #13

I'm sorry, I didn't re-read the whole post by the OP. I didn't know it was only 2 days in a row and the exact same time each day. But still, a loose neutral will cause some serious funky electric stuff to happen!
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #14

I'm hoping this will be the end of this thread.

On 10-31-16 a transmission engineer with my local utility called and was doing some research from his office and then came to my site. He said their substation which is 1/4 mile from me had a capacitor bank that switches on about the same time of day I was having the spikes. He said they made some adjustments at the substation and to let him know if it happens again. They do have a recording meter on my line and also a couple of my neighbors that didn't even know there was a potential issue.

This was 5 days ago and not a problem since so I'm getting more confident each day that the problem was found and fixed. The engineer called me late yesterday just to follow up prior to the weekend. I appreciated his call and he said to call him anytime day or night that I have another episode and to write own the the voltage of each leg as soon as I can after the episode.

So far so good. He was impressed with the EMS-PT50C. He also commented that my neighbors, all residential homes, had no clue of this issue which is why he was checking their lines too.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #15

You should not have a difference on a single leg. I suspect as others here, the problem is with your wiring. Check your neutral wire connections on both ends.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #16

My wiring is fine and has been checked by a licensed electrician as well as the power company (yes they did take a look see on my side of the meter). I had another spike yesterday morning and the voltage on each leg right after it happened was 122 and 124. I'm waiting for the power company to install a recording meter on my line to see what the problem is. This install has been ordered. The power company thinks the problem is definitely on their side of the meter and they are working to find it and fix it.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #17

This reminds me of a work site condition in Texas many years back where every Wednesday our 2 megawatt transmitter system would overload and trip out around 8am . By the time we troops got to all of the power sub stations to reset all was fine...

Turns out the local line transmission line manger did his PM every Wednesday on our massive 267KVA Transmission line grid by manually running up his line regulators and then watching them get corrected by the system...

When confronted one of his comments was he noticed the load jump every time he did this and was always thinking it was his equipment doing it. Never considered he was cause of an overload and the reset of substations at our location.

After we had the discussions with him it all cleared up after that. We fought this problem for around six months before we realized what the power company was doing...

Have no idea how this fits your problems just passing along what I got from reading your post... Brought back some good memories from the past...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #18

Just one more question. Does your electrician know your on a 50amp RV service? Its not something electricians see much unless they have experience with boats and RV service. I am sure you know there is no other circuit like it in your home.

I hope the power company finds their problem.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 11-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Just one more question. Does your electrician know your on a 50amp RV service? Its not something electricians see much unless they have experience with boats and RV service. I am sure you know there is no other circuit like it in your home.

I hope the power company finds their problem.
Actually the 50 amp circuit is similar to any 50 amp 240 line. The 30 amp 120 is somewhat unusual in that some will mistake it for a 30 amp 240 volt line.

The main difference is the 50 amp line is used typically as two 120 volt legs, rather than as a 240 volt line.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Actually the 50 amp circuit is similar to any 50 amp 240 line. The 30 amp 120 is somewhat unusual in that some will mistake it for a 30 amp 240 volt line.

The main difference is the 50 amp line is used typically as two 120 volt legs, rather than as a 240 volt line.
A 50amp 240 volt line has 3 wires, 50amp 3 pole (which is RV service) has 4 wires. A lose neutral on RV service can be the cause of one of the legs going "wild".In standard 240 volt wiring a lose connection will cause a voltage drop. They are very different in how they fail and how they work.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle