Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Hooking up Backup Camera

Hello everyone, I have recently purchased a 2015 Ford F250 and a 2015 Jayco Eagle HT 29.9 BHDS.

My question to everyone is, I want to hook up a backup camera to my fifth wheel, but have it run through my display screen on my Ford F250 when I place the vehicle in reverse.

I have 4 extra auxiliary outputs in my truck that I can use to hook up the camera and run power to it. What I want is when I place the vehicle that is hooked up to my fifth wheel in reverse and flick one of the auxiliary switches, I want it to over ride the backup camera on the truck and switch and display the backup camera on the fifth wheel.

Is this possible to do or will it cost too much or am I crazy.

I hope this makes sense.

Can someone please help.

Thanks
tikokoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to xtampa
Sounds like we are in the same boat, I'd love to see if I could link it to my screen and throw one of the auxillary switches to access it. otherwise I'll just set up a dash board screen and use it. I'm also driving an F250 FX4 2014
Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 PM   #3

So, it's a little complicated. Your stock truck receiver can be used to see both cameras. Your going to run into trouble if you want it to see one or the other in reverse. You will only have one port for a backup camera. That means you will need a way to switch between cameras. You could just run both cameras into a A/B switch, push a button for which camera you want to see.
Another option is to run the trailer camera into one of the additional ports on the stereo. That will give you another problem, when you switch to reverse your stock truck camera will switch on. I don't know the specifics of your truck, but can you turn off that camera now if you want from the stereo? If you can, that would solve that problem. I just remembered another problem you will probably have with either of those setups. For the video to work while you are moving (forward or reverse), your truck will probably stop you from seeing any additional camera on the screen, you will need to lock out the parking brake signal to the stereo. It's a safety feature built into all stereos with screens. It is easily modified.
Personally, what I did was a combination of both. First, I replaced my stock radio with a pioneer DVD player. Then I watched a YouTube video on how to lock out the parking break signal on that stereo. Then I installed a camera on my truck under my bumper and ran it into the backup port on the pioneer. Then I connected a camera on my boat trailer and was using it running it into my auxiliary port on the pioneer. Then when I drive down the road, I can switch on the pioneer from one camera or the other - the pioneer lets me turn the backup camera on or off.
Now that I also have a travel trailer, I have three more cameras I can watch (drivers side, rear, passenger side) because I have a 4 port switch running into the auxiliary port on the pioneer. The cameras run into that, then one port runs out to the stereo. I just have the switch box mounted below the pioneer. Just push a button and switch from one camera to any other camera.
For power, the cables always have power to them. Only work if a camera is plugged in. They are always hot, and I have them connected to a fuse. The connectors get a little buildup of green corrosion from time to time that needs to be cleaned, but other than that, it has been pretty simple to operate.
You could easily do all of this work yourself, but any stereo shop should also be able to set you up too, for a price.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #4

well as for me I got a rand McNally Rvnd 7730 with the 7 inch screen that has a hookup for backup camera on it . I haven't hooked it in yet but it might be an option. plus you get an rv gps unit too. it has a lot of options and was right at 300 on amazon
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
Site Team

How to wire your backup camera for reverse only

Do you have experience with electronics? If so you can make a switching interface to automatically select the 5th wheel's backup camera when in reverse or anytime the 5er is connected to the TV and will automatically disconnect the TV's backup camera.

The "OFFICIAL" Ford 7 pin wiring has the CENTER pin on the plug designated as "REVERSE", which I believe is yellow. The EAGLE does not have the yellow wire connected to anything, but has a wire nut on it in the 4x4 electrical box that the TV cord terminates in. My 2012 F150 has this feature.

If you are interested in a wiring diagram, I can make one up for you. The hardest part would be locating the wire that currently activates your TV backup camera when in reverse.

Options:
1 - Automatically disconnects the TV camera and activates 5er camera "ONLY" when it is connected to the TV, and in reverse. (Can be used as a rear view camera while traveling)
2 - Automatically disconnects the TV camera and activates 5er camera when the 5er cable is connected to the TV, for travel. Camera will stay on as long as the 5er is connected to the TV.
3 - Manually switch between TV camera or 5er camera.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FORD 7 Pin Connector.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #6

Don, I see where you are going for power to switch, but how would you get his video to switch from one camera to the other when in reverse only? I think that is what he is looking for, although I think we are both suggesting he make it so you can also see as you drive forward down the road too.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Don, I see where you are going for power to switch, but how would you get his video to switch from one camera to the other when in reverse only?
With out going into great detail, where the TV's rear backup camera is (tailgate area) you would run the power lead through a small 12VDC relay(s) that would under normal conditions power the TV's backup camera and when the 5er's connected to the TV, it would open the lead to the TV's camera and send it to the 5ers camera.

Don
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #8

I get that, but on his stereo, how would he get it to switch inputs for the video. The power switching I understand, but his stereo will only have one input to the backup camera port. This means his cameras power may switch on to the RV, but it will be a dead signal at the stereo for video.

Maybe I just worked it out in my head, are you thinking he can use an RCA splitter at the rear of the truck? That might work, so long as you could turn off the power to the truck camera as you suggest. Otherwise, the two signals would cancel each other out and wouldn't switch at best.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

You might be able to use this device. It adapts the Ford system to allow multiple cameras. Not sure if it's gonna work for the '15 tho.http://https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch2.htm

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post

Maybe I just worked it out in my head, are you thinking he can use an RCA splitter at the rear of the truck? That might work, so long as you could turn off the power to the truck camera as you suggest. Otherwise, the two signals would cancel each other out and wouldn't switch at best.
The video signals (both cameras) would be run through a separate relay activated by the power to camera relay.

To determine if the 5er is connected, (and I assume that the 5er has a yellow wire in the TV>TT wire loom) you would make a small incision in the TV>TT cable at the TV, pull out a small length of the yellow wire (Ford's backup designated wire) put a connector on it and use this to activate your power relay. The 5er's yellow wire will only have power on it when it is plugged into the TV.

Don
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #11

My f-150 came with a plug to cap the camera connector if I ever removed the tailgate. For this instance, I'd investigate t-ing off of that plug for both cameras. Then only the signal wire needs to be put on an A/B switch. Effectively, both cameras would be powered when in reverse, but you are only using the selected video feed.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
My f-150 came with a plug to cap the camera connector if I ever removed the tailgate. For this instance, I'd investigate t-ing off of that plug for both cameras. Then only the signal wire needs to be put on an A/B switch. Effectively, both cameras would be powered when in reverse, but you are only using the selected video feed.
Thanks Flapper, you could use the plug to adapt to the 5er camera. That would be the easy way of doing it.

I do not have the Ford backup camera option so I was not sure as to how they did it.
Don
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #13

I did something simliar with our last 5th wheel. I had a backup camera installed but no monitor. The wires were cut near the pin. I spliced in a 4 pin plug on the end. I added a 4 pin to my truck. I have a dvd player. I ran it into that, put in a switch for power for the camera and it worked quite well. It seemed like the only time I used it was to watch what was going on behind me while driving.

Tags
backup camera, f250, ford