Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #21

Usually cable it to a tree or such and use a lock designed to make it more difficult to defeat. Note I said "more difficult" not impossible. I think its all about making it difficult since most thieves are lazy. If its laying there they might grab it. If its out of sight, cabled up, and I'm not going to be gone on any regular schedule; I think Im pretty safe.

You can definitely go too far on this subject. Its sort of like people who spend $500 / door for special locks at their house and all someone has to do is break a window and climb in. I don't advertize what I have, at home or at the campsite.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #22

Well it happened this weekend at the CA state park CG...one of the families in our group had their Honda EU2000i stolen in the night.

We were 4 families all camped in row; 3 Gensets between us, (2) eu2000 and an eu3000. All were locked up with cable and lock to our TT frames. The one taken had basic 3/16 bike cable and pad lock. You could see where they made several attempts to cut the cable with what appeared to be bolt cutters before they simply cut the lock.

I'm thinking that since I simply had heavy gauge cable and a more robust lock mine became less of a target. The 3000 was probably just too heavy for them.

According to the ranger, 3 Honda EU2000 were taken that night. All from sites on the perimeter and each locked with similar big box store bike lock cable.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #23

Almost makes me think there needs to be some sort of alarm system, that can be set, for these things. Like a loud horn that goes off if they are lifted off the ground.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #24

Buy one of these. Alarm is pretty loud.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Sir.../dp/B00178WLU6
Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #25

Thanks Grumpy, that may just be the answer. At the CG we talked with many folks and some had portable motion detectors set ups that seemed secure, but I was concerned that it would be set off by a raccoon or some other wildlife.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #26

I use one of these: http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/CHPS1312.html. From the website: Protector 1/2" - 13mm hardened boron steel Protector chain in 3.3ft - 1.0m length, made in the UK.
Sold Secure Motorcycle Silver / Bicycle Gold standard approved by Great Britain's independent Sold Secure testing house.
Highly resistant against standard and readily available bolt-cutters. It will take a massive monster cutter and a huge person to cut this chain by hand.

Protector 13mm is much lighter than its 16 and 19mm bigger siblings. Still one of the highest-approved chains in its class, made from high grade European raw material and put through a specific hardening process to become hard enough to resist cutters and saws yet flexible enough to withstand freeze and prying methods.

- See more at: http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/C....ajMY9fSa.dpuf

Secure with one of these: http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/DLAB8077.html

Yah its expensive. But so is my Honda EU3000is. The chain is remarkably tough and would require a great deal of manipulation to work through. Which is where the screaming disk lock comes in.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote