Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

How do you know when Propane Tanks are low?

Newbie question:
How do you know when the propane tanks are low before it actually runs out? I just took delivery Tuesday of a Flight 22FB, my first TT. The dealer said to only open one tank at a time. Ok, but how do I know when the propane is about to run out for that tank so I don't wake up in the middle of the night freezing?

Thanks
earl9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Well like on my Jayco Eagle I got automatic switching tank which have a red/green indicator that tells you when it turns red that the first tank ran dry and should be removed and filled. So you don't have to shut it all down just flip the source lever and pull the tank.

I'll have to get a pic for ya...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

I picked up a propane gauge at Wally World. It has a nice dial. Tells you when it's time to switch tanks.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

they say not to do this, but i usually leave both tanks on... and take them to refill every 5 trips or so (they still only need half refill). I'd go with Tanker's suggestion though (i will do the same)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Geez, I thought if you had two tanks they all had the automatic switchover valve any more. You learn something new every day. Here is a link to the Marshall valve on my unit. Maybe it will help. And it does work as we have camped a couple weeks in the mid 20's and switched over a couple times during the cold nights.

http://www.dyersonline.com/marshall-...regulator.html

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Geez, I thought if you had two tanks they all had the automatic switchover valve any more. You learn something new every day. Here is a link to the Marshall valve on my unit. Maybe it will help. And it does work as we have camped a couple weeks in the mid 20's and switched over a couple times during the cold nights.

http://www.dyersonline.com/marshall-...regulator.html
No, they do not all have the auto changeover feature, as mine does not. It appears the Jayflight line does not have them. I have thought about adding one but do not use that much propane. I only turn one tank on at a time so I always know I have a full tank in reserve. I always use an electric heater so the furnace does not run much. I use the electric hot water heater instead of propane, and only run the frig on propane when towing. And I cook outside quite a bit. That all added up to less then one 30 lb bottle being used last season. Now if you do a lot of boondocking, propane use would of course be considerably more, thus increasing the chance of running out in the middle of the night.

-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

For those that have auto change over regulators... This is what it looks like...

Where you open both bottles and select your primary tank like mine is on the left tank as primary. The window shows green because the bottle is still got fuel left.

But when the bottle runs out and switches over to the secondary tank the window turns red and now you can remove your primary bottle and take it to be refilled without shutting down the RV. You can leave the RV running on the second bottle. Just remember to flip the supply valve to the other side...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4304.jpg   DSCF4305.jpg   DSCF4306.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

Hey Moparman, that was a nice demo with good pictures. Should explain that to anyone.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Hey Moparman, that was a nice demo with good pictures. Should explain that to anyone.
Thanks... Fairly easy to do... Just turn off the main tank while you have the stove burner going and the red disc falls for you. So now you know how to test the change over function so you know it works...
Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the pics Mopar. If I understand how it works: you would open both propane tank valves, point the primary valve to one of the tanks, when it runs out the red indicator shows and the Marshall automatically begins taking propane from the secondary tank. One can then disconnect and remove the empty tank to be filled. The purpose of switching the primary indicator is because the remaining tank is now the primary tank.

So the black lever is just an indicator of primary tank rather than a switch valve?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

Its actually a valve too... Hard to explain that the direction it point is biased for that tank till it run out (0 PSI) then flips over to the second.

You should change the black lever over so now that it biased toward the full tank. This (I think) also prevent it from leaking back on that open hose too. (guess)

I've not had a bunch of time to play with everything yet...

(I just found out I got a timer on my microwave! Ohhh... Wow!)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #12

I keep one tank open and the other closed. When I get the red indicator I shut off the open tank and flip the valve, then I open the second tank. Just remember to fill the empty one. There is nothing worse than having both tanks empty.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #13

You do not have to flip the lever over. The Marshall flips to the full tank. At least mine did. I think the Jayco regulator is also auto switching, but you never know which tank you are running on. If one feels lighter than the other you can disconnect it and take it for a refill. The pigtails that connect the tank to the regulator have check valves in them so you can disconnect when needed.

Also, I'm having to replace a Marshall regulator for leaking. Open a valve and the green indicator on top will show. Close off both tanks. The green indicator stay visible indefiinitly. If you see red, then you have a leak and it's time to start looking. I narrowed mine down to the regulator. No propane leak regardless how small is acceptable.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

Hey, I think you got it! I think that is what Mopar Man was explaining. That is how I think mine works also.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #15

A quick way to check you level is to take a container of really hot water and pour it down the side of the tank. Then feel it with your hand. Where the hot metal turns to cool metal is where the propane level is. A gauge is better, but this will give you a feel for how much you got (pun intended).
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #16

Sometimes you'll even get lucky and have a frost mark where the propane level is at...

Or better yet...
Old 02-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #17

Auto reg

I swapped my OE reg for an automatic changeover reg from Camping World. Easy to do, even used yellow pipe thread tape instead of the white tape Jayco used and checked for leaks with soapy water.

Reminded me of when I was a kid my dad worked for the natural gas company back east. As a 10 year old boy I'd help him run some gas lines for space heaters, BBQ grills, or gas-AC.... after we'd tighten the gas line he'd check the joints for leaks with a match. Occasionally he'd have a little pop of flame that he'd blow out and fix the leak. I did it that way too until I got my first job in industry and learned about soapy water...now you buy it in a spray bottle.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
Okay, so this about the 5th time I've seen this and have to ask.....
My dealer told me, under no circumstances, should I ride with the propane tanks turned on. I asked my DMV, they say you can't (CA anyway). Are people driving their RVs around with the propane on and things, like the fridge, running?
Thanks guys.
Jim
Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #19

Yes, over hills, through valleys and tunnels.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #20

Wow... I've been driving around with my previous RV's with everything burning... (Water heater, refridgerator, heater, etc)

But I plan on running my refridgerator when I travel...