Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

How do you know when Propane Tanks are low?

Newbie question:
How do you know when the propane tanks are low before it actually runs out? I just took delivery Tuesday of a Flight 22FB, my first TT. The dealer said to only open one tank at a time. Ok, but how do I know when the propane is about to run out for that tank so I don't wake up in the middle of the night freezing?

Thanks

earl9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2

Well like on my Jayco Eagle I got automatic switching tank which have a red/green indicator that tells you when it turns red that the first tank ran dry and should be removed and filled. So you don't have to shut it all down just flip the source lever and pull the tank.

I'll have to get a pic for ya...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

I picked up a propane gauge at Wally World. It has a nice dial. Tells you when it's time to switch tanks.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

they say not to do this, but i usually leave both tanks on... and take them to refill every 5 trips or so (they still only need half refill). I'd go with Tanker's suggestion though (i will do the same)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

Geez, I thought if you had two tanks they all had the automatic switchover valve any more. You learn something new every day. Here is a link to the Marshall valve on my unit. Maybe it will help. And it does work as we have camped a couple weeks in the mid 20's and switched over a couple times during the cold nights.

http://www.dyersonline.com/marshall-...regulator.html

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Geez, I thought if you had two tanks they all had the automatic switchover valve any more. You learn something new every day. Here is a link to the Marshall valve on my unit. Maybe it will help. And it does work as we have camped a couple weeks in the mid 20's and switched over a couple times during the cold nights.

http://www.dyersonline.com/marshall-...regulator.html
No, they do not all have the auto changeover feature, as mine does not. It appears the Jayflight line does not have them. I have thought about adding one but do not use that much propane. I only turn one tank on at a time so I always know I have a full tank in reserve. I always use an electric heater so the furnace does not run much. I use the electric hot water heater instead of propane, and only run the frig on propane when towing. And I cook outside quite a bit. That all added up to less then one 30 lb bottle being used last season. Now if you do a lot of boondocking, propane use would of course be considerably more, thus increasing the chance of running out in the middle of the night.

-Lee

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #7

For those that have auto change over regulators... This is what it looks like...

Where you open both bottles and select your primary tank like mine is on the left tank as primary. The window shows green because the bottle is still got fuel left.

But when the bottle runs out and switches over to the secondary tank the window turns red and now you can remove your primary bottle and take it to be refilled without shutting down the RV. You can leave the RV running on the second bottle. Just remember to flip the supply valve to the other side...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4304.jpg   DSCF4305.jpg   DSCF4306.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #8

Hey Moparman, that was a nice demo with good pictures. Should explain that to anyone.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Hey Moparman, that was a nice demo with good pictures. Should explain that to anyone.
Thanks... Fairly easy to do... Just turn off the main tank while you have the stove burner going and the red disc falls for you. So now you know how to test the change over function so you know it works...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the pics Mopar. If I understand how it works: you would open both propane tank valves, point the primary valve to one of the tanks, when it runs out the red indicator shows and the Marshall automatically begins taking propane from the secondary tank. One can then disconnect and remove the empty tank to be filled. The purpose of switching the primary indicator is because the remaining tank is now the primary tank.

So the black lever is just an indicator of primary tank rather than a switch valve?

earl9653 is offline   Reply With Quote