Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

How do you stay organized?

New to my Jayco and trying to figure out a system to stay less cluttered and messy inside. What do you do to keep organized and where do you put the dirty clothes?

I have under queen bed storage, under the dinette storage, bathroom linen storage and lots of upper cabinets in kitchen area. I have no idea how to store things to make life easy in the camper. Help!

Thanks!
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

We use a large bag under the queen bed storage for dirty clothes. We use a lot of plastic containers with lids of various sizes for all kinds of storage. Small ones stack up in cupboards. Large ones hold lots of things under the pass-through and under bunk storage. We use baskets and caddy's for silverware and stuff like that. Everything is set up so we can quickly take it out of the trailer to a picnic table at meal time, or into the house when unpacking, etc. Most of it, we developed over several outings - we keep a little notepad in the top drawer (junk drawer) and jot down improvements to make before the next trip...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

This is what we use for added storage.

We used to cram a laundry basket between the bed and wall which worked okay for dirty cloths. Under bed storage is okay too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7751.jpg  
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

When travelling/on the road, we have a laundry bag that rides in the tub.
When at the site, the laundry bag goes in the big wardrobe in the bathroom.
With a small TT, everything has to be in its place and dealt with promptly.
Example: The dishes get done immediately after eating, they don't pile up in the sink. Clothes, books, games, etc. get put away in their place when done.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
New to my Jayco and trying to figure out a system to stay less cluttered and messy inside. What do you do to keep organized and where do you put the dirty clothes?

I have under queen bed storage, under the dinette storage, bathroom linen storage and lots of upper cabinets in kitchen area. I have no idea how to store things to make life easy in the camper. Help!

Thanks!
Gotta agree with dewey and gone campin....plastic totes, laundry bag. never leave things laying around after use. Wash and dry dishes, put away shoes, games etc...
Camping is supposed to be fun not cluttered.
Many of us take too much stuff along on a trip in case we may need it...HAHAHA...my DW laughs at me cuz I tend to over pack...but I have a plastic bin for everything.:-)
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

I think my wife has totes for the totes...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Where do you keep all the totes? I have minimum floor space in my 22' TT. We do't even really have room for shoes so we aren't tripping on them.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Where do you keep all the totes? I have minimum floor space in my 22' TT. We do't even really have room for shoes so we aren't tripping on them.
When we get to the site everything is unpacked leaving empty totes that stack inside each other. I usually then put them in my vehicle.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Me and my wife don't have problems with junk sitting around but when the twenty something kids come down the camper looks like a bomb went off inside
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #10

The nice thing about totes is they are waterproof.
If you have things you don't need right away, they can go in the back of the pickup. We have a tonneau cover so that helps too.

Come to think of it, your dirty laundry can go in a tote and in the back of the pickup too!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
The nice thing about totes is they are waterproof.
If you have things you don't need right away, they can go in the back of the pickup. We have a tonneau cover so that helps too.

Come to think of it, your dirty laundry can go in a tote and in the back of the pickup too!
Yes! Good idea!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #12

We use clear shoe box size totes to stack things in the upper cabinets. They sit 2 high and are easy to get in and out. Also have one of those wire multi space file holders that sits sideways in a cabinet and holds paper plates and napkins, etc standing on edge. But as others have said, less is better. We had our pup for 19 years before trading for a 17z and when I was cleaning out the pups limited storage (even less storage than now) I found stuff in the back of drawers and cabinets that hadn't been used for that whole time. Needless to say it didn't get transferred into the new one. And why were there 22 hot dog forks when there was only 5 of us?
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Sterilite Storage Boxes and wicker baskets that stack.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #14

Totes for all the outdoor stuff. Inside I have pretty good cabinet space, but the laundry we just use one of those popup bins for the kids and one for us. We usually do a load or two during a week long stay so we can put it away.

Dishes are always dried and put back because that usually is the worst part of it.

I also got a folding foot rest that is great for storing the games, shoes or loose ends when we are out. It doubles as a table for the kids to play games on in their bunk room and a seat as well. It holds a lot and folds up in 10 seconds for moving. Looks better than a tote and has more uses.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

One of the things that could be helpful to know is which model tt you have. For an extreme example if you have a small 17z verse a large 5ver, the storage issues are so different.

Our 23B hybrid has a lot of storage space, but during transit but the stuff bounces around, and makes a mess. The cabinets that hold plates, cups, and similar is always a mess. In one cargo hold I found a computer paper box fits nicely and I put my misc cargo hold stuff in there.

Shoes can be a pain, I found I was able to remove the wood panel under my jsofa to put shoes there. Luckily on my unit there is a skirt that hangs down from the sofa sofa and now with the missing panel you do not see them. I added shelves to one half of the wardrobe, that fit decorative boxes, that hold our clothes. We do not take showers in out htt, it's to small. So our laundry basket, trash can, jug of travel water sits in there.

As others have said, everything has a spot, everything in its spot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #16

Pretty much on the same page as everyone else.. Totes... For both inside stuff and outside stuff. We use the underside of the dining bench to store dirty clothes in a large industrial plastic bag.

Outdoor, Totes for fresh water supplies, sewer supplies, leveling and such, grilling supplies, etc..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #17

storage

The biggest thing we did, and some may not like the look of it, was remove the fabric covered board under the jack knife sofa and the under the bed "box" which was too heavy to lift anyway with the memory foam mattress and use laundry baskets. Pics are from our old camper.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
B&W 3600 Companion
2006 Terry Dakota (traded)
PR Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #18

We use plastic totes for alot stuff. Dirty clothes go in a large laundry bag that we keep in the bathtub. If it gets in the way we move the dirties to a plastic tote that stays in the covered bed of my truck.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #19

Quote:

Thanks!
Things get stored based on normal use. For example, we bring a crock pot for some meals, but only use it infrequently, so its in a difficult to get to spot on the back of the u shaped dinette. Things that can hang are life savers, for example we have a hanging knife storage, paper towel holder, plastic bag holder (dog cleanup). Lots of hooks in the bathroom from towels.

Laundry goes into a collapsible hamper, which can be in the shower when moving and a hall when camping.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #20

We are limited in cargo carrying capacity. Only have about 300 lbs to play with.
We plan on laundry once a week.We carry some dehydrated food and soups and limited canned goods.

Space is not a problem We carry clothes for eight days.

It helps to come from a tenting background. We have two of each utensil and plate and bowl and small pots and pans aside from one spaghetti pot.

The only significant weighty thing is a portable table ( 5 lbs) and two camp chairs ( about 5 lbs each) and two computers and a TV

Probably we will carry beer though in the fridge. I allowed about 20 lbs for fresh refrigerated food for four days. If we boondock more on future trips, we will dehydrate more food

Well not buy ice. We freeze soda bottles. That way we do not have to run propane and possibly forget its on when fueling.. And the food will stay cold without a mess if the freezer has those soda bottles.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote