Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Is RV-specific TP a must?
Yes, I'd never use the regular kind. 22 22.68%
I'd use the regular kind in a pinch but not regularly. 22 22.68%
Regular TP all the way. Never been an issue. 38 39.18%
I use 'tested' but not RV specific TP 15 15.46%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #21

Like so many things in life, you do it 100 times and no problem, and then the 101 and bam...issues. I have seen the issues, and I don't want any, so I use RV tp. Even Scott is now making an RV TP, fast dissolving, must be a reason.

But then, I use a surge protector and a water pressure regulator, rather be over cautious than sorry later

Use what you want and what you feel works best for you and your RV lifestyle, we all use our RV's differently.

Enjoy the RV lifestyle !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #22

Thanks for all the replies and poll taking! I think we're still split on this issue.

I think we'll start with the RV-specific and then switch to "tested" after we can't take the sandpaper any longer!

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #23

I was using RV toilet paper, Thetford to be exact, and found that I was not fully draining my tank. I always took the appropriate steps of filling the tank with some water before using and also use treatment solution. The only way to clear it was to use a wand that broke up the pieces.

I did the test that seems to be the standard test, fill a jar halfway with water, cover it up, give it a couple of shakes, then let it sit' and it wasn't breaking down. I also tried single ply Scotts with the same result. Decided to buy a roll of 'The Big Roll' from Walgreens and that started shredding right down as soon as I shook it, so that's what we use. We don't really do much #2 in the camper (young kids only when they can't make it to the camper baths), so even if it's lesser quality, it works just fine for us.

One difference I think applies to us is that we only camp at state parks, so we don't ever have a full hookup. Our staying for a week is different than someone staying a week at a full hookup facility that can add more water and empty regularly. I am suspecting that of the people that say 'the stuff we use at home is fine' versus the people who have problems, you'd see more of the former having full hookup and more of the latter not.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
I am suspecting that of the people that say 'the stuff we use at home is fine' versus the people who have problems, you'd see more of the former having full hookup and more of the latter not.
It's a good point, I will freely admit that's the case for us (regular TP user); more often than not, we're on full hookups. So far, our longest stay has been 3 nights, so we just empty black once (and most often we need to top it off before we empty), but we leave gray open for nice long hot showers.

The biggest advantage on full hookups IMHO is that I can spend all the time I want rinsing out my tank and making sure I get a thorough flush. I wouldn't want to be monkeying around for 45 minutes if there was a line of cars behind me at the dump station.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #25

We camp at state parks (no sewer) Have found that 2 ply like Angel Soft does not work as it bunches up just below the diaphragm in the toilet. Have to scrape it out with a bamboo back scratcher to get it to fall into the tank. So we use single ply RV type which can be bought at WM in 6 packs for a reasonable price.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #26

tp debate

I tried the test from the video that said Charmin was good--WRONG- even after 2 hours the charmin never broke down. I will stick to RV or any 1 ply- I've never had a problem with those.
utbgcamper mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by utbgcamper mom View Post
I tried the test from the video that said Charmin was good--WRONG- even after 2 hours the charmin never broke down. I will stick to RV or any 1 ply- I've never had a problem with those.
IMO, ever since Mr. Whipple left, TP just hasn't been the same.

Considering how it is used, I would guess that the 'recipe' for TP can vary a lot over time. As long as it passes some very general quality control, with an emphasis on how it feels to the touch, does anyone (but us) really care?

RV TP may be the most consistent for disintegrating, but those in the TP 'testing' category may have to repeat the testing occasionally to be sure the manufacturer hasn't changed the 'recipe.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #28

It has a lot to do with how you use your RV. If you move daily and dump weekly may have less issues with thicker paper, as the agitation will help break it down. If you stay put more and dump while stationary you will have more issues and its more important to use an appropriate TP. It's amazing how long you can use your black tank washer and still have "stuff" coming out the drain....You can fill it several times and still get solids out...amazing. I would assume if you got thick paper, which partially dried out, you would never get it out properly.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote