Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

How long...???

First off, thank you for the answers to my questions thus far. Here is one more for you. Jayco 25BHS with twin 30 gallons propane tanks. How long can I expect my propane to last if I run the gas heat and heat ONLY during 25 to 30 degree weather starting out with the tanks completely full? I intend to keep the digital thermostat at 68 degrees.
Sparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

Sparkler, this is somewhat subjective. Based on your other questions, I will base my answer on the assumption that you are not utilizing any other gas (refrigerator, stove, oven, and water heater). Actual length will vary depending on how cold it gets.
I can only guess based on my own personal experiences. Worst case scenario, a week and half. In my opinion, that is a lot of usage. Hopefully others will chime in on this.
I have been out boondock camping in temps below zero and burned through one 30lb tank in 6 days, but that was utilizing only the onboard heater, and utilizing the refrigerator, and water heater and cooking etc., because we were staying in it.
I always maintain a full extra 20lb tank. I never leave home without it, even in the best of times and shortest of trips. In the worst situation I can always change to the 20lb tank and take the 30lb tanks and get them filled.
I know some people on this site have gone entire camping seasons and not emptied two 30lb tanks with normal use.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #3

There a lot of variables that would go into that question. How much sun, how much wind, etc.. I wouldn't expect much more then 4 days per tank if I were guessing. When dry camping,we use a Big Buddy heater that connected to our propane supply. Uses a lot less propane and no battery power. We supplement that heat with the furnace to help regulate the temperature and provide some heat to the tanks and water line. I can get 5 to 6 days per tank out of that setup in temperatures around 30 degrees.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #4

3 days to 4 weeks is my answer.

How many hours per day do you anticipate needing to keep your camper 40 degrees warmer than the outside temp? Are you opening doors during this period? Glacier package? At a plug in site I'm assuming since you aren't factoring in the fridge or hot water. Missing some info.

Setting your thermostat at 68 degrees and then going to bed in 25 to 30 degree weather is going to eat your propane pretty fast. I crank mine down to 50 at night and the LP lasts a LOT longer. That may be extreme for some people though.. every degree lower you can handle it, especially when you are just sleeping anyway will give you a lot more milage out of those tanks.

If you are plugged in, you can save a metric ton of propane / year by getting a ceramic heater to supplement your furnace. Just a thought.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

7 days per tank is what I budget for cold weather camping...nights in the high 20*s or low 30*s. That 7 days is really just running while sleeping, running fridge on gas 100% and water heater only for a few hours a days when we are using hot water.

If you want to leave water heater on the entire time and run furnace during the day too, I would be cautious and budget for 4-5 days.

Upgrading to a digital thermostat helps to better control the LP usage too. The OEM analog thermostat in most trailers is garbage.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Site Team

When we have power we use a small electric heater on low along with the fireplace.

There are to many factors in your question to even make an assumption but if you check your LP switchover indicator after a few days, you will know when half of it is gone.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote