Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
This is more the norm. Anyone who says they can set up a travel trailer from backing in to functional in 30 minutes no matter how well prepared they are is full of crap.
I disagree. If I don't have to level (most places we go are almost perfectly level.) We are pretty much camping in 20mins to 1/2 hr. We don't carry a bunch of trinkets and do dads to put out. After I unhook, run the jacks down, plug in to electric, cable and water I put out 2-3 chairs and the awning mat put out the electric awning and we are pretty much done. Wife is inside tending to kids with a/c on.

If it takes an hour your doing something wrong or just have too much stuff. I think the folks who take that long either take forever to back in and level or they have half a dozen strings of lights and a TiKi bar to set up.
I will say that I do have other stuff that comes out after we get the basics set up. After I have a beer or two I will get my charcoal grill out and set up the outdoor TV and unload our golf cart, but this is after our trailer is fully operational. I have been known to hook up the sewer hose on the second morning as well.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #22

I think the consensus is 1 hour for your list is reasonable. One idea to consider: I noticed that many of your set up and leveling activities are shared between you and DW. Can you handle that yourself while she does something else? My kids are 3 and 5. I usually get the 5 year old to help me outside (leveling, plumbing/electric hook up). My 3 year old helps my DW. If they don't want to help, we get them playing near the Rv. This frees us up a bit to tackle tasks. The only other idea I can share is to put items as close to the place where you need them. For example, wheel chocks near the tires, electrical adapters near your plug, etc. I can't imagine how many times we all walk around the RV during set up.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #23

I always have my 2 Grandchildren with me when going. I make sure they are part of set-up when we arrive. I have had very quick set ups and then sometimes set ups that took quite a long time. It all factors into our length of stay, the type of campground we are at, the distance I've driven , how tired I am how the kids attitudes and or my attitude is. The minute I pull outta my driveway with camper attached I look at the fact were camping at that time. Its all about the journey for us, not the destination. Plus I'm not trying to work real hard while not at work!!! Another words we don't need the stress of timing ourselves to say were officially camping!!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
We usually try to get the essentials before we leave for the campground. Once checked in and backed into the site, it usually takes us about 20-30 minutes. And setup is not complete until I have a Rum & Coke in hand.
You may be doing it wrong. I set up with a bourbon and coke in my hand. That also may be why it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to set up though but that's beds made...TV channels programmed...everything. I also set up by myself while my wife takes the son for a walk.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
If it takes an hour your doing something wrong or just have too much stuff. I think the folks who take that long either take forever to back in and level or they have half a dozen strings of lights and a TiKi bar to set up.
Or we could just agree we camp a little different. I'm not sure either is right or wrong or either brings too much or too little.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #26

It depends where we're going and how long we're staying. Backing in, levelling, chocking and unhooking takes up the majority of the 20-30 minutes it takes us to set up. That's down drastically from the time it took us to set up our old hybrid, and a lot less time than our old pop-up which was usually an hour or more. The first few times we took our Jayco out after we bought it, we set it all up and then looked at each other, saying, "Is that it? Are we done? What did we forget to do?"

One of our favorite campgrounds has 100% full serviced sites, but sometimes if we're just going there for a 2-nighter, I don't connect the sewer hose until it's time to leave and dump the tanks. Running the slide and awning out takes ~10-15 seconds each. Connecting the water, if needed, takes maybe a minute; if we're going to someplace close to home that doesn't have water on site, I'll fill up at home before we go. Otherwise it's a good 10-15 minutes at the campground. But we don't always have to do it that way. Connecting the power cord takes maybe 20 seconds and is one of the first things we do. Some stuff like the awning mat doesn't always get put out. The lawn chairs are only taken out when they're needed, same with the grill and portable fire pit. The dog's rope is another thing that's done fairly quickly, but 30' of 1/4" nylon rope tied to the step only takes a few seconds to set up.

Inside, starting the water heater and water pump (if needed) are just a flick of a switch. Turning the antenna amplifier on and aiming the antenna don't take very long, either. One of the very first things we do once the trailer is set up enough that we can get into it is to make sure the dog has food and water available. We can fend for ourselves, but she can't.

We keep a pretty spartan campsite, so getting it to the point where we can sit down and relax doesn't take very long; one of the reasons why we got away from the hybrid and into a hard-sided TT.

As for TV channels, before going to a campground that's out of broadcast range of our city, I look at TVFool, tell it where we're going to be, and it tells me which channels to expect and where to point the antenna. It eliminates the guesswork and doesn't' wipe out the presets that we usually use.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
Whether set up takes 1/2 hour or 6 hours. It's still better than sitting behind a desk or in traffic somewhere. I say just enjoy the whole process cause it still beats just about anything else that happens during the week.
This forum needs a "like" button, like FB!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #28

Well with me and wife it usually takes about 45 minutes from starting to back in to site thru sitting down to have a cold beverage. I think for me filling the water tanks takes longer than anything but I do outer stuff while she tackles the inside stuff
Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
(most places we go are almost perfectly level.)

If it takes an hour your doing something wrong or just have too much stuff. I think the folks who take that long either take forever to back in and level

Out of the 11 trips we've done so far this summer, 4 of which I did not have to level side to side which was nice. We currently use a 4ft level in the main area of the camper, if the bubble is between the lines I am happy, and skip the side to side leveling step. If I do need to level, once the andersons are in place, DW is in the camper with a walkie talkie as I slowly move the camper up onto the andersons. I stop when she says to stop over the walkie talkie. Backing in, leveling, chalking and X-chocks is usually 5-10 minutes max and then we get right on un-hooking and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko06 View Post
I think the consensus is 1 hour for your list is reasonable. One idea to consider: I noticed that many of your set up and leveling activities are shared between you and DW. Can you handle that yourself while she does something else? My kids are 3 and 5. I usually get the 5 year old to help me outside (leveling, plumbing/electric hook up). My 3 year old helps my DW. If they don't want to help, we get them playing near the Rv. This frees us up a bit to tackle tasks. The only other idea I can share is to put items as close to the place where you need them. For example, wheel chocks near the tires, electrical adapters near your plug, etc. I can't imagine how many times we all walk around the RV during set up.

Good points, DW doesn't mind helping out at all, she actually gets right into it. I could certainly do everything myself if she was to take the kids off to go for a walk to the playground or swimming. Kids are at the age now (7 & 10) where they could certainly be part of the set up process. Just haven't assigned them any duties up to this point. I have been watching Lakehounds "Has anyone used the LevelMatePro" thread. This could certainly help let me know whether or not I even need to level once we've got the TT in position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #30

How long to set up? By my definition, 15 minutes tops. Now, by the DW's definition, from check in time, till tear down time, lol!

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #31

Once I unhook from the truck it's about 10 more minutes to plug in and hook up water. I don't hook sewer until I need it. The camp sets itself up as things come up like chairs or a grill as needed.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
Whether set up takes 1/2 hour or 6 hours. It's still better than sitting behind a desk or in traffic somewhere. I say just enjoy the whole process cause it still beats just about anything else that happens during the week.
Yeah! For the win! Our set up takes a couple hours due to four wheeler unloading from the Octane and back of the truck. Now that we have been doing it a few years we are getting pretty good. Except that one time this summer when we set up before we realized we forgot to fill the fresh water...LOL It is more peaceful now too.
Now ask me about how long it takes to clean up after four wheeling in mud! The day it becomes more work than it is worth, we will find something new to do.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You may be doing it wrong. I set up with a bourbon and coke in my hand. That also may be why it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to set up though but that's beds made...TV channels programmed...everything. I also set up by myself while my wife takes the son for a walk.
Your pretty close to me. We should meet in the middle somewhere and you can show me how it's done😛
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
One of the very many reasons we upgraded to a travel trailer this year from the pop up that we had for the last 11 years (tenting prior to that) was to reduce the set-up time once we arrived at the campsite.

Most of our camping trips are the typical "arrive Friday, leave Sunday".

With the pop-up it was consistently around two and a half hours to completely set up. Although we have collected many camping items over the years, we decided to have everything dedicated in the travel trailer, even clothes and bedding. We are a family of 4 and do not have any pets that we bring. Kids are younger, so they want to go..go..go.. as soon as we pull in to the site.

Our goal was to have set up time down to about a 1/2 hour with the new travel trailer to maximize our "leisure/family time". Both DW and I have specific tasks that we do once we arrive at the site to tag team the set up process.

OK, so how long does it take for you to set up camp??

I have never owned a pop up, so I can't really say, but the set up items listed seem to be everything except "popping up" the camper. So, however long it took you to get that portion done is how much time you would be saving, but I doubt it took 2 hours. I will give you that your set up list is quite detailed. Here is what my set up looks like in 2 scenarios:

-Once spotted in the site, level side to side, unhitch, level front to back, drop stabilizers.
-Hook up utilities, water, sewer, electric, and cable if we are going to watch "The Walking Dead".
-Extend awning, place patio mats, unload fire wood (daylight/weather permitting)
-Move picnic table, put up my "cooking" table and table top grill. (also daylight/weather permitting)

Scenario 1, left house on time, good commute, arrived in daylight, spotting travel trailer went well, DW and son listening and really helping out: About 30 minutes.

Scenario 2, left house way late, white knuckle commute, passengers spent last 60 minutes saying "I'm bored, are we there yet, or I'm hungry", arrived at dusk, finally spotted trailer, DW and son forgetting everything about RV setup. Setup is still about 30 minutes from the moment I advise them to "kindly" check out the campground, any part of it, EXCEPT the site I am currently standing in......... When the awning is out, it is "safe" to return

My son and I handle all the mechanical type things, the DW will handle the domestic things like covering the table and bench seats with plastic table cloths. My son handles the camping chairs and fire ring things. I just don't consider them set up as sometimes they are left for the next day if it is raining or dark out.

For me, every minute in the truck or setting up is a minute less in my comfy chair by the fire, so we try to get it done quickly and efficiently. The best is seeing my son take charge of his parts, helping me spot the unit, reading the level, adding blocks and directing me up on them, and dropping the stabilizers. Once the chores are done, just kick back and relax till Sun. (And I usually ask for a late check out then so I can putter around a bit longer)
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #35

30 step setup

We don't do 18-22, 24,25,27,29,31-34, 36-38. Takes about 20 minutes if I I have an unlevel site with a 23RLSW.
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #36

If we're there for a week, about a week.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #37

We average 30-45 minutes setup including all utilities, cable, matts, steps, plus interior set up. Once we are aligned and level, I take all the exterior duties and wife takes all the interior such as TV, slides, furniture arrangements, counter tops, adult beverages, etc.

2012 Pinnacle 5th Wheel 36RL, EMS, added jack stabilizers, 2nd AC
2011 F250, 6.7 4X4, 331RR, Firestone air bags, stabilizer, 50 gal undercarriage replacement tank
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle Pete View Post
We average 30-45 minutes setup including all utilities, cable, matts, steps, plus interior set up. Once we are aligned and level, I take all the exterior duties and wife takes all the interior such as TV, slides, furniture arrangements, counter tops, adult beverages, etc.
Gotta get those priorities straight: Adult beverage is required before/during all those other things!!!

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #39

For us, setup and takedown are around a day each.

Critical for me is the fridge. We travel with the propane off. So, the time from arrive at the campsite until the trailer is level and fridge is restarted is most important.

- Back into the spot (try and find someplace near level)
- Level left-to-right using Linx Levelers and driving the TT onto them
- Place the wheel chocks
- Disconnect
- Level front to back
- Deploy the stabilizers
- Put out the front stoop with boot brush
- Turn on propane
- Charge the lines by lighting the stove
- Restart the fridge

Those steps take about 15 minutes. Reverse is a bit less.

All the other unloading and setting up is done (maybe it won't) over then next couple of hours or days. Depending...

Packing up starts the previous afternoon. No hurrying, No stressing.

So in answer to the thread's question, I'm somewhere between "Not very long" and "Doesn't matter".

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #40

Initial setup time for us at a 'normal' camp spot (with its own table, etc) is around 20 minutes. Most of that time is me screwing around with the equalizer hitch, blocks and trying to disconnect the camper from the ball before the back of my truck leaves the ground.

Only exception is when I do something stupid like I did last weekend and was getting ready to plug into shore power when my wife asked 'Did you remember to fill the water tank??' We were at an electric only with bone dry tanks.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
set up, set-up, setting up, setup, time