Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #41
Use teamwork while you can

After I have backed in takes 20-30 minutes...max. I have tried to keep it easy. I have a 95 f350 longbed 4dr and a Jayco 19ft... getting into a spot with my truck is what takes longest. I travel alone most trips so it gets interesting at times.
I used to travel with kids and a pop up. Rule was if you want to go you have a job, my youngest had to put out the blocks, older handled the hose and electrical. Inside they also had jobs, they were proud to be active and 'depended on' so we could all have fun. Working as a team made it fun for all of us.

Most important is that you enjoy your time together.
Attached Thumbnails

sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #42
With our Motorhome it takes us about 15-20 minutes to set up, doesn't take long too long to push some buttons, DW and work as a team in parking, and setting everything up, we take out 3 or 4 chairs, mat, fire ring, Bikes off the rack, If we are towing it takes an extra 5 minutes to unload the car and disconnect dolly, store on site. When we had a TT for 10 years it use to take us about 40 minutes or so to set up. I also don't sweat it IF the sewer isn't hooked up immediately if we have something planned for that first evening, I hook that up whenever I get around to it. Electric and Water are always hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #43
Greatest of them all

Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I'm right around 45 minutes from the time I land the trailer on the site to completion of setup. DW takes care of most of the inside stuff and I do the outside. Level, stow hitch / bars, connect utilities, (if available) X Chocks, setup grill, setup Coleman screened in room, setup chairs, unload and stack firewood. Then its first cocktail time. I do find setup relaxing...
I love this. Very well said, don't rush take your time you are on vacation. I will try to remember this the next time I am rushing to set up.
2014 Ram 1500
2016 Jay Flight 267BHSW
JayFlightJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #44
It is almost always just the wife and I (we are empty nesters). If we don't have to mess with leveling too much it takes us around 20-30 minutes tops. I don't rush it. My wife and I are minimalists so the most that goes outside are our patio carpet and two chairs.. that's it. Park the TT (level), crank down support jacks, extend the slide and if not too windy extend the awning, plug in power and water (we rarely camp where there is sewer), .. eat dinner.
Jim & Shari
2015 Jayco Jay-Flight 26RLS TT
2006 Ford Expedition Limited 5.7L
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #45
DW & I pack & prepare TT on the day before we leave for CG. Once we arrive at CG, we fire up the walkie-talkies and DW spots for me to back into site. I do all the heavy labor with set-up, plus the electrical, water and sewer. Normally it takes about 1/2hour to get into the TT before I have a chance to start relaxing. Normally it is so hot & humid here in SE Louisiana, as soon as the A/C is running, I consider the TT set-up so I can suck up some cool air. ............ Swampy
Jim, Susie, Jimmy & The Chihuahua Crew, & Dusty Dog
2008 Chevy Silverado LS, 4.3L, V6, 2WD, 3.23:1

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #46
Haven't read all the responses, but we're right at 30 minutes most days.

One place we save time is in the "other" stuff. I won't set up my grill or stove or camp chairs until it's time to actually use them. Once we're done using them, I usually stow them again. Sometimes our chairs come out right at the beginning, but usually not until later in the evening. I'll also do several other little "setup" items at my leisure throughout the evening of arrival. We'll be sitting around yapping or watching the kid play with his truck and I'll say "I'm going to set up the lights (or whatever) now", and I'll do it. Usually with drink in hand! LOL!

We tend to concentrate on the "must haves" upon arrival, and we both use the 2YO to "help" us so he stays engaged. This includes leveling and disconnecting the trailer from the truck, installing/lowering all stabilizers, and connecting to "services" such as power, water and sewer. DW gets the AC going, sets up our water station inside along with fixing a snack for the young'un, filling the dog's water bowl, deploying the awning and other inside general setup. Most of the other stuff happens as we need it to throughout our trip at a much more leisurely pace. You won't see us buzzing around like bees right when we get there. More commonly, we get parked, get hooked up and hang out inside to cool off for a bit before you'll even see us outside. And I would certainly not describe our pace on initial setup as "hurried". We take our time and make sure it's done right.

We're on vacation, there's no sense in hurrying anywhere!!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #47
Seriously? I mean seriously? That sounded like us with the pop up camper we just sold for the travel trailer. OK now seriously once we boxed all the stuff up from the pop up and then moved into the new travel trailer yeah that took time because I wanted it done right. The pantry? I have really nice wicker baskets from Wal Mart. On line and wow. Everything has a place unlike a pop up. Once we are pulled in? Less then half an hour if that. I just have to remember how to do the awning and undo the hitches. Otherwise? Once I get started on dinner? I am ready to go. Heading to Cleveland Wednesday nite for 3 nites. Love my hotel on wheels.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #48
Depends on if the "sun is over the yard(arm)" or not! If it isn't yet time to "splice the mainbrace", then about 1/2 hour; HOWEVER, if Happy Hour looms - 8 - 10 hours. Sorry, you know how retired sailors are.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #49
We're always packed and ready with most everything in the TT before leaving. I start the fridge and do a complete road-readiness inspection the evening before. The next morning, we put our refrigerated stuff in, hook up, and go. When we get there, I back in or pull through and do the leveling and all the outside stuff, after starting the AC or heater for her. The OP does a lot of stuff we don't do unless otherwise needed. Our average set-up time is about 20 minutes... and the electric tongue jack and stabilizers help immensely... I'm OLD...
Jack and Delores, Weatherford, Texas
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH TT, 2014 Ram 4X4 2500 CTD
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #50
I have never worried about set up time. I get the basics done and then just take my time doing the rest. I actually enjoy that part of camping. And, I NEVER rush breaking camp. Too many little tings that can get over looked.

RobEstoker is offline   Reply With Quote

set up, set-up, setting up, setup, time