Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: How many years have you been camping?
This is my first year Snake 2 1.69%
1-5 years 10 8.47%
6-10 5 4.24%
11-20 9 7.63%
21-30 13 11.02%
31 or more years 79 66.95%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #41

Us "experts" sure do dominate the RV scene. I was amazed by the poll results so far.

Maybe that is why there are so many knowledgeable people on this site.

I feel better already.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #42

How long have you been camping?

When I was growing up, the only camping I did was when I went on trips with my Boy Scout troop. No family camping trips unfortunately.

In my early thirties, shortly after marrying the love of my life and settling down, we both secured excellent careers that gave us the freedom to do what we wanted in our free time.

At this point, a good friend and co worker had stumbled upon a used travel trailer that a friend of his was off loading "on the cheap" due to a divorce. My friend purchased it for a great price and used it with his family of four for a season. They quickly became addicted. I remember the day he called me over to look at it. I think they had been on only a few trips at this point. I looked at this thing and was amazed at the condition it was in. Again, I was a total Noob at the whole camping thing and really didn't have a clue what I was looking at. I just thought the idea of pulling your hotel room behind you and going wherever you wanted was a great concept!

I told him "if you ever want to get rid of this, you let me know!" At the end of that season...he called me. He was ready to upgrade so I got a great deal on his Trail Cruiser bunkhouse. The only problem...I was driving a small SUV at the time as I had taken a break from driving pickups for a while. AH HA! Perfect excuse to get a new truck! So I take the wife, show her the camper and her reaction was the same as mine. So we purchased it...without a truck. Next stop was the Dealer for a new whip!

We used that travel trailer for a few years and took our first born on his first camping trip at the young age of 2 months. We loved it...and he always slept better in the camper. It was a win win!

After checking out a few RV shows here and there, and enjoying time with friends that all had newer campers...we of course got the itch. We also had our second child enter the world and knew it would be cramped to say the least. So we made our first NEW trailer purchase and bought a 2013 Rockwood Windjammer. We enjoyed this camper until just this past August when we took delivery of our 2016 North Point 375BHFS! And I scored yet another new whip as I upgraded my Chevy to a Duramax. Both of these purchases should have been made YEARS ago, but we kind of eased into the whole camping thing.

Now, married for 9 years...two boys (6 and 4) and a TON of camping memories. I wouldn't trade anything we have done...in my career, my schedule is often very difficult and the work is even more difficult...but it's steady and secure and allows us to do what we want to do.

Live for the moment!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #43
Site Team

Almost 70% of us have been camping over 31 years. That's amazing.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Us "experts" sure do dominate the RV scene. I was amazed by the poll results so far.

Maybe that is why there are so many knowledgeable people on this site.

I feel better already.
My thought is beginners usually start with a tent and by the time you're buying a serious camper you've been camping for years. 31+ years for 70% of us is really high though.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #45

Its called Glamping in our Pinnacle!!! No camping for us.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #46

30+ years. Almost all tent camping, solar showers, Coleman stoves and lanterns with sleeping bags and air mattresses. (I still own all the gear to this day). Finally bought my first trailer in 2010 and steadily trading up as needed.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote