Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

How to Anchor Electrical Box

I want to add an electrical outlet in the kitchen counter area. I will be using Wiremold 'conduit' and receptacle to make the installation look neat.

My question, what ideas do you have to fasten the receptacle box to the inside of an outside wall. The unit is a 2012 with composite outer walls. Happen to find a piece left behind during the manufacturing process and it is simply a piece of styrofoam insulation with fiberglass on the outside and luan plywood on the inside all glued together. I need for the receptacle to be well anchored so it doesn't come loose from plugging and unplugging line cords. This might be difficult to achieve since the only
material for anchoring screws is 1/8 or less plywood. Your thoughts and ideas?

thanks
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #2

Are you saying that there is no framing on the trailer? What model trailer is it? I have heard that you can call Jayco and they will send you a framing diagram of your trailer if you supply them with your vin number.

2008 Octane 24ZX Toyhauler
1200 # Equal-i-zer hitch
2004 Superduty V-10
Prodigy brake controller
MacEFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

kiwaon-- You can check the bathroom towel rack,to see what the factory used. I wouldn't use the receptacle for for repeated plugging or unplugging. If you have to, try to put a little pressure on the box when you unplug. You might try some sort of construction adhesive to assist the screws. Just an idea Larry
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

If you must put it on the outside wall,Gorilla Glue.
do you have room to mount on front of cabinet or move to inside wall?How bout on underside of upper cabinet.Wiremold has has lots of turn options for thier conduit.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies;

MacEFL, Some weeks ago I requested from Jayco their diagrams for each side and bottom of trailer. Their response was a polite 'no' since it is still under warranty, ( guess they figure anyone who bought one isn't as bright as the folks who put them together!) They told me to go see my dealer. Phoned the dealer, two hours away, and they said ... 'what?". I'm sure there is framing in these prebuilt walls, guess I'll try and find them with a stud finder or a straight pin. The unit is a Superlite 5ver, 30 ft.

19H F250, I agree with putting pressure on the receptacle when unplugging. If I don't find a solid piece to anchor at least one fastener I may glue for now and when the unit goes off warranty if the receptacle becomes loose I would drill right through to the outside and use two white coloured chicago bolts to secure it.

Poohbear, I don't really want to put it on the front of the cabinets. There already is a plug under the top cabinet but it really isn't very functional as it dangles down in the middle of the counter, so i don't want to add another there. The additional outlet/circuit is so I can have two 15 amp circuits on the counter to handle a toaster and kettle at the same time.

Thanks for your input and if there are other ideas please share.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Use molly bolts to anchor the mounting screws. Carefully drill a shallow hole large enough to clear the body of the molly bolt and use a screwdriver or something similar to hog out some of the foam insulation behind the paneling so the molly has room to expand.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Use molly bolts to anchor the mounting screws. Carefully drill a shallow hole large enough to clear the body of the molly bolt and use a screwdriver or something similar to hog out some of the foam insulation behind the paneling so the molly has room to expand.
X2 on the molly bolts!