Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

How to camp without full hook up ????

I am fairly new to owning my 26BH. Just a few years. The places I have camped so far have been mostly human versions of what a sardine can must be like. I raise my 2 Grand daughters alone,one 13 one 5. We mostly camp at beaches, so our main focus is the beach,the staying in the camper is icing on the cake. So I want to broaden my horizons and camp at some places that I see you guys post pics of with sceneries to die for,but I'm gonna bet that these sites are not full hook-ups. So my question is how does one stay somewhere for say 3 days and not have full hook ups? I really like the thought of being able to do much more camping in the state and national parks, The sites are farther apart and the parks are much more natural and that's what I want to show and give these kids. So please if you can give me a Camping without full hookup 101 lesson Im all ears!!! I am in the Baltimore County area of Maryland, and would also appreciate some sites maybe within an hour and a half that you have had previous experience of staying at,if you could....
Old 09-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Many state parks have partial-to-full hookups. As long as I have electric, I am good for several days.

For example on our recent stay at Poinsett State Park in SC, we had a site with 30 amp power and water, but no sewer. We took short showers to minimize what went into the grey tank which is what tends to fill up first.

We also wash dishes in a plastic tub in the sink and pour that dishwater into the black tank via the toilet. It stretches the grey tank capacity and the soapy water helps the black tank from becoming aromatic.

We prefer state parks for the more spacious and shaded sites as well as the many hiking trails most have. Of the 50+ nights we've spent in the RV in the past twelve months, only one was in a private campground. The reminder were in state parks with a handful in parking lots while passing through.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

We camp all the time for 2-3 days without full hookups. If you use your water sparingly when you shower and do dishes there should be no problem. We use a dish pan for the rinse water and fill the sink part way with wash water.

Sometimes we let dirty dishes set until we have enough to wash with out wasting water. We generally put all that water down the drain and the rinse water clears out any soap residue.

Don't skimp on water when flushing the toilet, but use the campground facilities when they are handy.

Take "Navy showers". Get wet, turn off the water, soap up and wash, then take a quick rinse. If you want a long shower use the ones in the campground.

Stop at the dump station on the way out of the campground.

If you camp where there is only electric, fill up your fresh tank and you will run out of water before both your black and grey tanks are full.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

You are close enough to Skyline Drive you might enjoy the campgrounds there. No services but they do have a dump station. I forget the exact age but it is 60 or maybe 62 you buy a senior pass that is forever for ten dollars. That gets you in the park for free and half off for camping. I camp at Matthews Arm for $7.50 I really like the camping there for the scenery and wildlife.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

You'll love "dry camping" and so will the girls ... the upside is a much larger campsite that is more private and attractive! We started-out with tents then matured into pop-ups, then finally got a true travel trailer, so we're accustomed to using campground restroom facilities, washing dishes outdoors, and bundling-up on cold nights. If tent campers can do it, so can you! As you plan the trip, make it a game for the girls, have them strategize new ways to do things 'off the grid'. Here are some hints to get them started: biodegradable dish detergent and 2-3 wash tubs (I love the collapsible ones) on the picnic bench (1 for dirties, 1 with hot water for wash, 1 with lukewarm for rinsing); for the restrooms have handy extra TP rolls and maybe even 'bum gaskets' (seat covers); if the showers need change, have quarters handy and think about getting a 'college shower caddy'; if you DO use your trailer's toilet - flush with dish gray water to conserve both your fresh water and the gray tank space; make sure your battery is topped-off and avoid using things that'll drain it ... battery lanterns are great for lights and warm sleeping bags and flannel sheets/PJs are perfect for those cold nights; play games (no electronics ); your rig's cooktop and fridge should be fine but you could cook all of your meals outdoors with a BBQ or camp-stove and rely an old-fashioned ice-chest! This is what will add to their memories!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
I forget the exact age but it is 60 or maybe 62 you buy a senior pass that is forever for ten dollars. That gets you in the park for free and half off for camping.
Great idea! Here is where you get information for the National Parks Passes; the Senior Pass is $10/lifetime at age 62; generally a 50% discount. Check also for State Park and County Park passes, you'd be amazed at the savings! Also, get familiar with various camping reservation systems such as RECREATION.GOV (National Campgrounds) and RESERVEAMERICA.COM (State Parks, County Parks, Private Campgrounds, etc.) and have your discount cards handy!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

As has been said, if you have electric and water it is very easy to get by for quite some time without a sewer connection. We use campground facilities for toilet and shower except for #1 at night. We don't consider using campground facilities an inconvenience. It's much better than the 5 gallon bucket with plastic liner which we once used.

Washing dishes in tubs and dumping the water to the sewer station saves worry about overloading the trailer grey tanks.

If you have no 120 volt electric it would be worthwhile to consider changing to LED lighting. Most trailer 12 volt interior lighting is conventional incandescent lamps. They are not as efficient as LED lights so they drain a battery much more quickly. LED draws less power. It has become very affordable.

I add this cheap LED option to my Amazon orders. Doing that with $35+ orders saves shipping.

Amazon.com: White Car Interior 48 SMD LED Light Lamp Panel T10 Dome Bulb BA9S Adapter 12V (Panel 1): Home Improvement

The LED units come with 3 different style socket adapters. I've used them for pretty much all of my vehicle and travel trailer interior lights. I just let them rest inside on the fixture lens. No sticking or gluing. Working great so far.

Another choice.

http://www.amazon.com/HAMIST-Lights-...10+3528+42-SMD

Be aware that the light they give can be very white compared to incandescent lamps. Some people consider that unacceptable. There are more expensive LED lights which have better color correction so they look more like conventional incandescent lamps. LED's will allow more time to be spent while powered from a 12 volt battery as compared to incandescent lighting.

Your refrigeration will likely need to be switched to propane if you have no 120 volt shore power.

Have fun. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

90% of the campgrounds we frequent are electric only sites and we manage to camp for 10 days without filling our gray water, black water, or draining our fresh water tank (90gallons). We so use the shower house for showers but we all use the bathroom in the camper. We also use paper plates for very little dish cleanup.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

This is really great information...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #10

Both of my JayFlghts had 80+ gallon fresh water tanks, so water is not an issue for 3-4 nights once you get filled up.

Also, each of mine had 32 gallon black and grey tanks. A 32 gallon black tank will last the three of you way longer than 4 days, we have gone a week with 5 of us using a 32 gallon black tank.

32 gallons of grey can fill up very quickly. With careful use you should get 3-4 nights. If you find it to be challenging after the first trip there are several options to get grey water into the black tank since it has room to spare. As mentioned you can was dishes into a bucket and the dump down the head. Or, what we prefer, is use a bayonet to garden hose adapter, then fill the 5 gallon bucket and either dump down our head or the CG pit toilets.

Otherwise you can get a blue boy tote for use at non-hookup CG with a dump station. We have a 25 gallon and it takes less than 20 min to fill, haul to dump station and then dump it.

120VAC is the next piece. Many many options for sites w/o power. You can increase your battery capacity and not worry about charging over a few days, you can get a solar system or an inverter type generator. Personally we went with dual grp 24 batteries and a Honda eu2000i. Generator was found on Craigslist at a great price several years ago. I prefer generator because it isn't dependent on sun and we really prefer shaded sites since there is no air conditioner when boon docking.

It takes a little practice to get your rhythm, but you will figure it out and the girls and you will have a great time.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

Deep Creek Lake in Maryland! Deep Creek Lake State Park has electric sites, you just fill up your fresh water tank on the way in and dump at the dump station on the way out. Swallow Falls State Park has full hookups on some sites. Both parks have bath houses in several places so we usually use the bath house facilities unless it is the middle of the night.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #12

This summer we stayed for about 10 days at Chippewa campground in Kankakee River State Park in IL. The sites are electric only but they have a dump station and a place to fill water tanks. There are no showers and there are only out houses rather than toilets with plumbing. Our 25 Z only has 30 gallons of FW and GW with 25 Gallons of BW.

We have a 35 gallon tote tank so our routine was to stop any time we drove out of the park and fill a few jugs with water. We would then pour these in the FW tank when we returned. I emptied the GW and BW tank every other day. I'm sure we could have gone longer, but full tote tanks are harder to move around.

Most of the rigs there were larger so could go longer without dumping tanks. I think that during out stay we were the only campers with a tote tank. I saw quite a few hitch up, move to the dump station and then come back to their site.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #13

Hi That is all I do Is Dry camp, I have two solar panels and a small generator if I need it. I can stay out for two weeks at one time.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) in a 26BH and we can probably go 4 days before we have to dump the grey tank where the black will be about 3/4 full at that point.

One thing I have learned about camping with younger kids is they don't seem to catch onto the water conservation attempt well. We make them use hand sanitizer after they go to the bathroom instead of running the sink. My 7 year old son will use 5 gallons of water for the task if he could. In the past, I resorted to showering him when he was 5-6 because he again would just let the water run but he does much better now. My daughter and wife will often shower in the CG's showers if they want to take long showers but know they must take Navy showers in the TT to minimize waste water.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
This summer we stayed for about 10 days at Chippewa campground in Kankakee River State Park in IL. The sites are electric only but they have a dump station and a place to fill water tanks. There are no showers and there are only out houses rather than toilets with plumbing. Our 25 Z only has 30 gallons of FW and GW with 25 Gallons of BW.

We have a 35 gallon tote tank so our routine was to stop any time we drove out of the park and fill a few jugs with water. We would then pour these in the FW tank when we returned. I emptied the GW and BW tank every other day. I'm sure we could have gone longer, but full tote tanks are harder to move around.

Most of the rigs there were larger so could go longer without dumping tanks. I think that during out stay we were the only campers with a tote tank. I saw quite a few hitch up, move to the dump station and then come back to their site.
Similar to this ^

At the PA state parks what we'll do is make sure we get a site reasonably close to the facilities - they may have showers, flush toilets and a sink for washing dishes. We'll use the toilet in the camper sparingly. I do have a tote in case we go more than a couple of days.

We need the 120v for the A/C but fill up water on the way in and dump on the way out. Staying at full hookups for us is a real treat.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #16

We usually try for sites with sewer connections (for DW's sake, I couldn't care less really), but we've been twice without them. The first time was a bit difficult because our son was going through 6 bottles a day, and DW didn't want to use paper plates, so we had a lot of dishes, and DW had never actually used the Navy technique for showering. That time we just did the dishes in a large mixing bowl and put the waste water in the black tank, and we took Navy showers. It worked pretty well, when we left, our gray tank was full, and DW admitted it was okay afterwards.

Last time we were out was the 2nd time with no sewer, and DW was complaining the whole time, she said she "didn't know because I didn't tell her" that there were no sewer connections this time; "how am I going to take a shower?! I need to wash my hair!" I said, "you have 3 choices: 1) take Navy shower 2) use CG facilities 3) shower outside". I knew there were really only 2 options, and she didn't sound too keen on the CG facilities. This was the second night, so we already had one night of Navy showers and some general usage in the gray tank. So I have a garden hose adapter for my tank outlet; I put it on and filled my cat litter bucket (my free utility bucket) 3 times (amounted to about 9 gallons) and dumped it in the black tank before she took her shower the second night (this actually completely emptied the tank, much to my surprise). She took her shower (Navy style and washed her hair), I took my shower, we washed dishes (what few we had) and generally lived out the rest of the trip normally. I was afraid there wasn't going to be enough gray water to get a good rinse on my sewer hose at the dump station!

Bottom line is that with a little creativity and some basic water conservation techniques, you can make it work. We didn't really try all that hard as far as I'm concerned, and I was VERY surprised (and proud) at how efficient we were.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

Contrary to what so many seem to believe, it really is okay to not take a shower every day. You are out in the woods camping! It amazes me how much water folks waste by insisting that there is something wrong with a shower every other day when camping. We will go even longer if necessary (gasp), depending on how long we are out for.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Contrary to what so many seem to believe, it really is okay to not take a shower every day. You are out in the woods camping! It amazes me how much water folks waste by insisting that there is something wrong with a shower every other day when camping. We will go even longer if necessary (gasp), depending on how long we are out for.
I would agree with you, but when you've been out running around all day in 90-100* heat, sweating, getting dirty, etc. you start to develop some pretty nasty stuff pretty quick! Or at least I do! Nope, some kind of cleaning every night is a requirement in our family; if that's a full shower, AWESOME, if it's a Navy shower, great. If it's a trail shower (bandanna bath using 1 cup of water; I used to do it every day backpacking in the mountains) cool. Hell, I'll even warm up one of those personal hygiene wipes like what they use for bed-ridden patients in the hospital in the microwave if I've got power!

Nope, I gotta have some kind of cleaning before I go to bed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #19

I want to go to Susquehanna State Park next weekend - It is pretty close to you. They have some full hookup sites, but those are always filled far in advance. They have some great looking sites with no hookups... I'm down for it, but trying to convince my other half. We want to go to Gunpowder Falls State Park on the 3rd for Day of the Horse.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
90% of the campgrounds we frequent are electric only sites and we manage to camp for 10 days without filling our gray water, black water, or draining our fresh water tank (90gallons). We so use the shower house for showers but we all use the bathroom in the camper. We also use paper plates for very little dish cleanup.
This is what we do. If I need more water I have a 5 gallon water jug that I fill and carry to the camper. After 3 days I need to do this twice a day.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote