Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
Don't leave your power cord on the ground, if you are hooked up to power. Rodents can climb it and squeeze into trailer that way.

(Don't ask how I know)

2015 White Hawk 20MRB
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #12
Do not feed them....no open food boxes, everything in a plastic container. As well as I do not cook in the trailer, just the microwave...I use the BBQ and and an electric fry pan out side.

2013 Jayco Flight 33RLDS ( Parking this at seasonal site)

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
Rat zapper under the sink. I fried 2 in the last couple of week just sitting next to my house. Kitty has me beat though, she brought home 3 mice in one night yesterday..
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2007 TBSS
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Here is an interesting approach to keeping mice out of an RV...
The RV Doctor: Critters - Redux
2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
Bounce dryer sheets don not work. We have had mice in 2 different campers (including our current 26BH) where we used them and they used the sheets as bedding!

The only solution I know works 100% is Mouse-Free. We sprayed in on our camper in the fall of 2013 and have had no mice since. Our Daughter parked her camper next to ours that year and she had mice in the bumper chewing the sewer hose.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH traded in
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7, 6 speed 4.30 gears
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
I use bait block that comes with a little plastic box that only mice can access. Then I put that box in a cinder block next to TT tire. That way they die outside before getting inside first. My wife likes to feed the birds. We set up bird feeder far away now and keep a rodent free zone around the vehicles. Nothing worse than firing up the oven for a pizza only to cook a mice nest. A smell you'll never forget.
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Some folks say it's hogwash, but I put Bounce dryer sheets in every nook and cranny in the camper. I also put them under mattresses, seat cushions, drawers, and other places. Don't use any fancy aromas (like Febreeze, etc) - just the plain, original Bounce. The word is that mice and other critters do not like the smell. I've parked a camper in a grassy area for nine years and never had a single problem with mice or other bugs (except those darn Asian beetles!).

I would NOT, however, use D-Con or other poison. If they crawl into an inaccessible space and die, the stink would be horrible and would last a long time, until you remove it - if you can find it. Glue boards or traps would be my preference.

I got this tip from an RV dealer and it has worked for me. (It was posted on their website.) Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=B1y-o4DjM3I

I do the same thing and did the same with my Airstream. Seemed to work just fine...Also good to keep spiders at bay.
2015 GrayHawk 29MV/Toad - 2015 Frontier

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"! - Thomas Paine
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
The solution for me was a combination of the expanding spray foam insulation in as many cracks and holes that I could find and peppermint oil. The hole for the water supply line for the toilet is one example where I put the foam. Then I got aluminum foil squares (to keep from staining the camper) and cotton pads and soaked them with peppermint oil (not extract) and placed about 5 of them strategically under the sink, in the bathroom, etc. Haven't seen a critter or evidence since
2012 28DSBH
2007 Ford Expedition HD Tow package
Taurus2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Don't leave your power cord on the ground, if you are hooked up to power. Rodents can climb it and squeeze into trailer that way.

(Don't ask how I know)

My power cord has a cap over the hole that completely covers it when retracted. With the cord out, the little door is open, basically covering the hole again. I don't believe they could get in that way.

My old camper had mice problem, and they were found to be coming in the roof mounted chimney. Put chicken wire over it and problem solved.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
We found signs of mice when we got our Eagle TT out of storage. I had taken measures to keep the little buggers out, but apparently that didn't work. I believe that eliminating ways of getting in is more effective than trying to repel them after they're already in.

I found some holes in the floor where wiring and plumbing pass through the floor, namely behind the power center (CB/fuse panel) and under the bathtub at the drain P-trap.

I got some Great Stuff spray foam for pest control and shot it around as many spots as I could get access to. I think I got all of them except under the bath tub. That's a bigger area. I'm thinking about a sheetmetal plate to block the area off.

FAA A&P mechanic, ex-RV dealer parts dept
Retired B-52 Gunner/Flight Examiner, B-52 Crew Chief

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote