Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

How to park the trailer at Walmart?

We went to park our 30 ft trailer today at Walmart so that we could go in to pick up a few things. We quickly realized that we do not fit across two parking spots like we used to with our small trailer. So we ended up parking sideways across about 6 or 8 spots. is this what everyone does? Or do they just jut out into the road part of the lot?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

We are usually way out to the end of an aisle except we are usually taking up a whole more than 6 or 8 spots.:hihi: If we go to a restaurant that doesn't have truck parking I will across spots but I will try to "bend" the middle as much as I can to take up as few spots as possible.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

When I park at Walmart (or any other place that doesn't have RV parking), I find the most remote area of the parking lot and do my best to minimize problems for the store or its customers. I also make sure I angle my TV in such a way that I can swing the front end out and not be boxed in.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

I like the fire lane. Its parallel to the traffic, and close to the door. And all the nice customers like pointing out to me I am number one as I get out of the truck. Just kidding, I park almost over outside of the mulch and outside items. No one ever parks in that baron area, its almost into the next store space in no mans land.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Most parking lots lately are not designed to accommodate long trailers. I usually park as far from the building and walk back. Most of those PP are never used by cars.

Although I have never stayed overnight in one, I would ask the store managers permission before planning to stay over night.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice by everyone..., and when you come back to your TV/TT take this opportunity to glance at your tires and hitch just confirm that all is good.

Had a friend last summer come out from shopping and noticed one of his TT tires showing signs of tread separation (tires were fine a week prior)....., changed it on the spot.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
I like the fire lane. Its parallel to the traffic, and close to the door. And all the nice customers like pointing out to me I am number one as I get out of the truck. Just kidding, I park almost over outside of the mulch and outside items. No one ever parks in that baron area, its almost into the next store space in no mans land.

I do the same, just park as far away as possible out of everyone's way. MrKong, as a firefighter I started to read your post and was thinking no freaking way. Glad to hear you don't really park in fire lanes...LOL!!
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

Glad he was kidding about the fire lane. Just as added info it is a very very high cite fee. Many people don't know just making a large U turn in a fire dept drive way carries an extremely high cite fee.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

I used to park at an angle to minimize space, but one time I was at extreme angles and noticed that the tires on the axles were under extreme stress. The pivot point of the two axles is in the middle of the axles. So now I park straight, take up as much room as needed to make sure I can get out, and I do park in no mans land.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

I've only parked overnight once with Walmart at the Supercenter in El Reno on the west side of Oklahoma City, OK. I arrived after 8 pm. All the RVs were parked at the southwest corner of the lot and I took the next open space. Several other RVs and semi trucks arrived after me. There's a McDonalds, Burger King and gas station at the entrance to this lot. Everything needed for dinner, breakfast and supplies was close at hand. The parking lot was well lit and the area we parked in was covered by a security camera. None of the RVs were impeding any traffic and no customers were parked anywhere close to this area. The next morning everyone was on their way by 6 am and no one left any refuse behind.

I'm a regular customer of Walmart and appreciate the courtesy extended to RV travelers.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I do the same, just park as far away as possible out of everyone's way. MrKong, as a firefighter I started to read your post and was thinking no freaking way. Glad to hear you don't really park in fire lanes...LOL!!
Starting to get quite a few firefighters! In my 25th year...love it...

As far as Walmart - or any parking lot - I always park as far out of the way as possible. I think it is just the polite thing to do for both the store owner and the customers.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #12

We park as far out in the lot as we can from the front of the store. It's where all the cool RVs park And just as Rustic said, it's a great chance to check out the rig and spot any issues.
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #13

Always wondered what is the proper etiquette was when parking overnight at a Walmart store; I've yet to do that but heard they welcome you. Also heard that some stores will let you hook up for electric... is that true?

You don't see RV's parking overnight in Northern NJ Walmarts...

Are there any states that prohibit doing this?

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4WD 6.0L ::woohoo::
CURT Manufacturing 14080 Class IV Receiver
2012 White Hawk 28DSBH
CURT Manufacturing 19100 TT Bumper Hitch
BillsBumperQ Grill Mount w/ Weber Q220
JM144NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM144NJ View Post
Always wondered what is the proper etiquette was when parking overnight at a Walmart store; I've yet to do that but heard they welcome you. Also heard that some stores will let you hook up for electric... is that true?

Mostly local ordinances prevent it in many places. It never hurts to ask the store manager before setting up. Never seen electric provided.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM144NJ View Post

We've overnighted in a central Jersey (Hanover) Walmart, a last month, actually.
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Good advice by everyone..., and when you come back to your TV/TT take this opportunity to glance at your tires and hitch just confirm that all is good.

Had a friend last summer come out from shopping and noticed one of his TT tires showing signs of tread separation (tires were fine a week prior)....., changed it on the spot.

Bob
I do this every time I stop.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #17

Don't know about the rest of Arizona, but in Tucson you cannot stay overnite in a Walmart parking lot.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #18

I have stayed a couple of nights in big parking lots like Walmart or Canadian Tire. Beats getting stuck beside some "happy holidayer" with a yappy dog, or campfire smoke that chokes you. I mostly boondock while out on gopher shoots, so its at the edge of a good old Saskatchewan field where you might not see another human that day!

My first night ever in my trailer was at a nice big Walmart on Hwy 7 on the way out of Saskatoon towards Rosetown. It was great! I needed a few things, so just a nice stroll into the store. I asked at the store if it was okay for me to stay there, and they said it would be just fine.

One trip I was on last summer, I considered staying in the little campground in a small town, but decided to stay at the farmyard where I would be shooting. Good thing, as there was a bunch of punks from Regina partying there and one kid got stabbed! They were burning new treated fence posts they stole from the Co-op.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #19

I just want to second the part about making sure you don't get blocked in up front. I try and do the angle parking towards an end to where my truck takes up half of the last spot in the line, if that makes sense. Plenty of room to pull out of the spots, and not enough room for a car to slide in there.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #20

When making a short stop at WM... it is to your advantage to park way out in the 'North Forty'. We also always park so that the truck is turned at an angle about 2 feet into the spot just in from of our tv so we can still get out (in case someone actually was to try and park directly in front of us).

Always also consider - if you are going to be in there for a while and you don't level your "front-to-back" level, then turn off the gas to the fridge (coils run front to back).

I noticed a couple comments for 'boondocking' at WM. Here's a thread that could be helpful:
FOR OVERNIGHTER'S at a WalMart
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote