Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Thumbs down How to sanitize water tank without an open fill port.

Just purchased a 2017 Jayco Eagle and still trying to figure out all the features. This unit does not have a fresh water fill port. It appears fresh water is added to the fresh water tank by the city water connection and the proper lever/switch arrangement. This works fine to add water to the fresh water tank but I can't determine how one would sanitize the tank. I talked to the dealership and they did not have a ready answer for sanitation. I was considering using a hose tee valve and connect the second inlet to a container with sanitation solution. I assume other experienced rvers have already resolved this situation.
tfford53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

I would pour the bleach into the hose and attach to the RV and turn the water on.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

You're supposed to pump it in using the "country fill" setting.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would pour the bleach into the hose and attach to the RV and turn the water on.
Thanks for the suggestion of adding solution to the hose before connecting to the city water connection. That would be easier than using a hose tee.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You're supposed to pump it in using the "country fill" setting.
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm not familiar with the "country fill" setting.

Sundancer330 suggested pouring the solution into the hose before connecting to the city water connection.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfford53 View Post

Sundancer330 suggested pouring the solution into the hose before connecting to the city water connection.
Not sure what they call it now, but that is how you would refill the tank when boon docking.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfford53 View Post

Adding it to the hose is a bit tricky but it might be the easiest. Country Fill is a setting on our Jayco water panel.

Flip the valves to point to Country fill, put a small hose from the inlet into a jug and turn on the pump. The water is pumped from the jug into the fresh water tank.

That's country fill. It might help to just post a picture of your Water Control Valve panel and we can help figure out what valves to flip were.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

If you have an external water filter, take the filter out and fill the filter housing with the correct amount of bleach and re-install filter housing and run the water
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
That's what I do. Add 1 cup bleach in hose then attach and fill fresh water tank and then when it's about 1/2 full turn on pump and run water through lines also water heater..
Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #10

I use both methods suggested. I've never exactly figured out how the water flows under city setting, and if it makes it through the piping around the water pump, so I put bleach in that the host connected to the city water connection. Then I also make a bleach solution in a jug that I suck into the system. Then I suck that the bleach solution into the interior plumbing lines. Then flush, flush, flush.

Is this correct? I don't know, but I pretty sure that I'm getting more lines sanitized (or at least different areas of the same lines).
Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Adding it to the hose is a bit tricky but it might be the easiest. Country Fill is a setting on our Jayco water panel.

Flip the valves to point to Country fill, put a small hose from the inlet into a jug and turn on the pump. The water is pumped from the jug into the fresh water tank.

That's country fill. It might help to just post a picture of your Water Control Valve panel and we can help figure out what valves to flip were.
<Thanks for the info. I am new to all the valve position settings but I should be able to figure it out.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

Yep, if you read the manual (yes, I know I am weird) it has the valve positions for introducing sanitizer/antifreezee to your system. Easy peasy.

PS sorry forgot. What the manual does not show is WHERE all that stuff is located. For mine it is accessed in the pass through storage compatment, on control panel side. There is a 'hatch' on the wall that has to be unscrewed (mine had two screws). Remove that hatch and you will see the 'guts' of your water system. Pump, valves, plumbing, and the clear hose provided for the 'country fill' and sanitizing.

PPS and no, the dealer did NOT show us this on the walk through
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote