Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

I knew better

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1230.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	32877

Yesterday I was heading for home after a week long excursion in southwest Colorado. Before I left one of the tires was down about 10 lbs. I knew I should have taken it off to get it fixed but I figured if I aired it up it would get me home. I didn't want the hassle of finding a tire shop open on a Sunday. Turns out I made the wrong call. We were just getting ready to head up Wolf Creek Pass and I looked in my mirror and saw white smoke and chunks of tire. There was just barely enough room on the shoulder to get off the road and of course it blew on the traffic side. So I got the lovely experience of changing the tire right next to speeding traffic only a few feet away. I still had 400 miles to make it home. Luckily I didn't have any more issues and the spare and the rest of the tires made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing, and glad you're safe.
This is probably something a lot of us would do so seeing it will definitely make me think twice.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Glad you are safe. Only cost you a tire.

My misunderstanding of wheel bearing wear cost me a Sunday afternoon by the side of the road patch-up. Then an axle replacement/upgrade.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Tire

Never fails they will blow on the freeway with little pull off space! Looks like not much damage lucky! My buddy had a tire go 7500 in damage!
Attached Thumbnails
Best SS 12-5-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

With my tires and load I never go if the tire is even 2lb low. And the TPMS is set to go off at 3lb low.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Over 100k miles of towing these things in over 14 years and I've had only 6 flats. The odd thing is, 5 out of 6 went flat in the campground. The other was caught by my brother in law following me in his rig. Side wall flew off and we pulled over before it went completely flat or blew. Talk about luck.

Glad y'all made it alright, and looks like you escaped damage to the rig which is a great bonus.

We've run a TPMS since 2012 and won't be without it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Thanks for sharing, and glad you're safe.
This is probably something a lot of us would do so seeing it will definitely make me think twice.
x2
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:18 AM   #8

Can u guys comment on some of the good tpms systems . I think it's def worth the investment. I think I would like something that I can monitor on my phone via app or Bluetooth.

Also out of curiosity where should my TV tire pressure be when towing at Max load? I'm assuming they should not be at the standard pressure listed on the door sill panel. I will look at my tires and see what they say. I don't recall seeing it in my manual but will look again and check any tire supplements that came with my Durango.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #9

I just purchased a Tireminder TM55c based on the suggestions on this site. Follow this link:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...0-a-44312.html

Amazon has this model. It seems to vary from $149 to $117, so you might want to watch it for a little while.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #10

Thanks.

The tire minder looks like it got great reviews but seems a bit bulky? Do you mount it on the dash or can you have it sitting next to you somewhere since I prefer to have my backup camera and cell mounted and really don't want a 3rd item. I was looking at the carchet which plugs into the cig lighter and would be out of the way for me. Gonna give it a go and see how the signal is 1st.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks.

The tire minder looks like it got great reviews but seems a bit bulky? Do you mount it on the dash or can you have it sitting next to you somewhere since I prefer to have my backup camera and cell mounted and really don't want a 3rd item. I was looking at the carchet which plugs into the cig lighter and would be out of the way for me. Gonna give it a go and see how the signal is 1st.

It is actually about the size of a playing card, and about 1/2" thick. It comes with a windshield mount.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Can u guys comment on some of the good tpms systems . I think it's def worth the investment. I think I would like something that I can monitor on my phone via app or Bluetooth.

Also out of curiosity where should my TV tire pressure be when towing at Max load? I'm assuming they should not be at the standard pressure listed on the door sill panel. I will look at my tires and see what they say. I don't recall seeing it in my manual but will look again and check any tire supplements that came with my Durango.

Most people take the easiest way and use the recommended cold pressure listed on the vehicle door post. ( assuming the same tire and load range is still there).
On the camper, I use the cold pressure listed on the trailer sticker, unless that size and LR are OE.. If they have been upgraded, I use the cold pressure stamped in the tire.

Start out with that on the TSPS. The pressure may vary depending on the variations but as soon as you are rolling you will see the temps and pressure rise. When we first got our, we spent more time looking at the display than the road. Don't do that! The temps and pressure vary and you will quickly see what is a normal variation depending on the road type, ambient temp and time of day even. You can see what happens when you slow down or speed up. Your tires know what you are doing and are aware of the weather.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #13

<LI class="mainImageTemplate template">
<LI class="swatchHoverExp a-hidden maintain-height">
<LI id=noFlashContent class="noFlash a-hidden">
Roll over image to zoom in

#energyEfficiency .a-icon-popover {display: none; }
TPMS

TPMS EK215T10 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

#energyEfficiencyTitleInformation { font-size: 19px !important;}
/* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/sr...teTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; } 4.4 out of 5 stars56 customer reviews

#averageCustomerReviews, #averageCustomerReviews_feature_div, #ask_feature_div { display: inline-block; *display: inline; } | 69 answered questions .askPipe { color: #666666; padding: 0 5px 0 5px; } .askATFLink { display: inline-block; }

List Price: $450.00 #listPriceLegalMessageText { margin-left: 5px !important; } #listPriceLegalMessage .a-popover-trigger:hover { text-decoration: underline !important; } #listPriceLegalMessage .a-icon-popover { display: inline-block !important; margin-left: 0px !important; margin-top: 6px !important; } Price: $385.50 Free Shipping for Prime Members

This is the system I purchased for my Motorhome, I needed 10 tires to be monitored.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote