Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

If anyone is considering camping in N. Georgia for eclipse hurry and book!

For those not aware there will be a total solar eclipse cross the nation on August 21st this year. If your in the Southeast or East for that matter North Georgia, parts of North and South Carolina and Tennessee will be directly in the path with total blackout lasting as long as 2 1/2 minutes.
We tried to book at River Vista this week (which is directly underneath the path) in Dillard Ga. and they have been completely booked for weeks, so I want to share some alternative areas we are familiar with, but certainly not the ONLY places you could go.
River Falls at the Gorge in Rabun County Ga. has openings as well as River Bend, where we booked, in Hiwassee Ga. has lots of spaces now. Bald Mountain in Hiwassee is a nice large campground that we recommend though I don't know if they have space, I would guess they do. Franklin N. C. is about 20 miles north of Dillard Ga. and has several campground including at least two on the Cullasaja River, we have stayed at The Great Outdoors RV park and liked it, although some sites have the main highway directly behind and below the sites so you will have to put up with some road noise.
Getting to be directly under the path of a total solar eclipses is pretty rare so if it interests you don't wait to long to book and cross your fingers for good weather and don't forget the eye protection!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Here's a map showing the path through the US.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States

We're heading up to Wyoming to see it.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

Our son owns 39 acres of property right in its path. We'll be having a camping fest with our family that day.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

I'm booked at River Bend in Hiawassee.
The kids are 7 & 10 years old. I hope it isn't cloudy or rainy on the 21st as I think it is something they will remember for a long time.
We are from up in Asheville, NC. Givea us an excuse to go see Helen, GA. My wife kinda wants to go there. Should be good times.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
I'm booked at River Bend in Hiawassee.
The kids are 7 & 10 years old. I hope it isn't cloudy or rainy on the 21st as I think it is something they will remember for a long time.
We are from up in Asheville, NC. Givea us an excuse to go see Helen, GA. My wife kinda wants to go there. Should be good times.
We're in site c-12 gray tundra, stop by and say hello! If it's your first time there it's family owned and run and I believe three generations are involved in running it. Great people, pool, nice little river.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Our son owns 39 acres of property right in its path. We'll be having a camping fest with our family that day.
Geez, he want to sell any real cheap? That sounds like something y'all will talk about a long time, enjoy!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
We're in site c-12 gray tundra, stop by and say hello! If it's your first time there it's family owned and run and I believe three generations are involved in running it. Great people, pool, nice little river.
Yup, first time camping there. We decided to make a long weekend of it and do Friday - Tuesday. Looks pretty nice.
We are on site A29.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

We were planning a family reunion for that week in Cascade Idaho for my wife's dad's birthday. Unfortunately, he has suddenly passed away, and we have cancelled the trip entirely. Long story, and a bad situation, but you should all have great fun waiting for and talking about this event. It's very rare.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

I just booked a 4 day weekend at Lake Hartwell SP in South Carolina. Eclipse should be pretty cool.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

I just tried making reservations at the Grand Teton National park for 6 days, with the eclipse falling right in the middle of our stay.

The woman at the reservation desk started laughing and said the whole park was booked within an hour of them opening the reservation window back in September!

All the hotels are booked, there's nothing available anywhere in this part of the country for that day.

Plan B I guess is to maybe find some BLM land but I'm starting to get a little concerned about this turning into a giant circus with insane traffic. Might just have to settle for a partial eclipse down here in Denver.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Our house is just about centerline of the total eclipse path (2m39s of totality) and we have full hook ups

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #12

The beauty of my son's property is that it's in the middle of nowhere on a large ranch; and there isn't a tree on the property, just sage and shrubs. We'll have no obstructions at all, and Wyoming is known to have day after day of clear skies in the summer so we're hoping for the best.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

guessing every walmart parking lot under the path will be packed! LOL
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I just tried making reservations at the Grand Teton National park for 6 days, with the eclipse falling right in the middle of our stay.

The woman at the reservation desk started laughing and said the whole park was booked within an hour of them opening the reservation window back in September!

All the hotels are booked, there's nothing available anywhere in this part of the country for that day.

Plan B I guess is to maybe find some BLM land but I'm starting to get a little concerned about this turning into a giant circus with insane traffic. Might just have to settle for a partial eclipse down here in Denver.
We have one RV lot available, full hook up, off lake Notly, boat acsess and in private neighborhood.. Stay 6 days make best offer

We have one RV lot available, full hook up, off lake Notly, boat acsess and in private neighborhood.. Stay 6 days make best offer wins
Thanks Jeremiah
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #15

Missouri (and others) opened up their campground reservations last November in anticipation and due to demand. Looking forward to it!
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
We were planning a family reunion for that week in Cascade Idaho for my wife's dad's birthday. Unfortunately, he has suddenly passed away, and we have cancelled the trip entirely. Long story, and a bad situation, but you should all have great fun waiting for and talking about this event. It's very rare.
Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
We have one RV lot Blairsville, Ga..available, full hook up, off lake Nottely, boat acsess and in private neighborhood.. Stay 6 days make best offer

We have one RV lot available, full hook up, off lake Notly, boat acsess and in private neighborhood.. Stay 6 days make best offer wins
Thanks Jeremiah
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #18

Don't plan on driving anywhere in the path for the time of the eclipse. Guess how many idiots will be driving, texting and trying to take a picture all at once? And that doesn't count all the traffic for all the street parties and such.

Many places are simply closing for the day. Schools, offices, etc, etc. Law enforcement will be at a max on the interstates. There was talk of some interstate and highway closures just to keep people from driving into each other.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote