Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

If you didn't buy from your local dealer...warranty service issues?

If you didn't buy from your local dealer, have you had any issues getting good service from them? In particular warranty service?
thearrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

The last time I made a warrantee claim was on a car. Because my home and office are 50 miles apart, I had the dealer near the office do the work.

Since any factory authorized shop will be reimbursed the same for warrantee work, they should be more than happy to repair your RV.

Their incentive to treat you well, is that when the warrantee runs out, you will choose them for normal repairs and maintenance.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Let me say "So far, so good".

We bought our 2014 Seneca new from National RV in Belleville, MI early this year. They were the closest dealer that actually stocks Jayco Seneca motorhomes. They are almost 200 miles from our home here in northeast Ohio. Nice folks, but I knew that running it that far for warranty service would be not be my desire.

Before we actually "signed on the dotted line" I communicated with Jayco Customer Service and inquired whether they would have any issues with me obtaining service at the local Jayco towable dealership (Hartville RV) located just 10 miles away. Customer Service told me that they (Jayco) would work with my local dealer no problem, provided the dealership itself was willing to tackle the particular issue. They only sell trailers, but I went to Hartville RV and they told me they would be happy to help me on any coach-related issues, just not the Freightliner truck parts. No problem for me, I also have a nearby Freightliner dealer who does my chassis warranty work! Hartville had just last year put a service addition on their building including 2 - 50'-deep service bays with 14' tall doors to handle big fifth-wheels; perfect size for my Seneca.

Hartville RV has very competently helped me through a few warranty issues, and I also paid them to install a Carefree window awning to shade windows on my driver's-side slideout. Their workmanship has been excellent.

I have lucked out in my particular case, but who knows what others may encounter. If Hartville sold Seneca's and I purchased elsewhere, maybe it would be different.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post

Since any factory authorized shop will be reimbursed the same for warrantee work, they should be more than happy to repair your RV.
If they have the time. Our dealer (has 3 locations) and is only working on units that they sold since they are busy with, warranty, out of warranty and delivery PDIs. They are having a very very hard time keeping up.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrys View Post
If you didn't buy from your local dealer, have you had any issues getting good service from them? In particular warranty service?
No issues so far for either warranty and non-warranty service. Didn't buy from the dealer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Team

I did buy from my local dealer but there are many threads on here about dealers who balk at this type repairs during the warranty period.
The dealer network is nothing like auto dealerships.

If they refuse you or put you at the back of the line, you have not much recourse.
Best to establish a relationship with a local dealer and get those questions answered prior to needing service IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #7

I have never had a problem. The dealer I get my warranty work done at is super over priced for new purchases (I save $7000 by going out of state). I unfortunately have had a lot of warranty work done without any problems like above post. My guess is those problems are from places you don't to go anyway.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

No problems here. We purchased 400+ miles from home as local dealer who had several on his lot wasn't willing to come down on his price or give us a decent price for out trade in. Ended up saving $10 grand out of state. Took it back there for some warranty work, got it back and in less than 2 weeks had an issue with the inverter. My husband was too busy at work to make another 400+ mile trip one way again. He called Jayco and arranged for a RV Center less than 15 miles from us do any work we needed. We just have to get the work authorized first, pay out of pocket then get reimbursed. Just got it back with no problems at all. The RV placed we used does not sell Jayco's of any type but does handle larger class C's and A's and according to Jayco has an excellent reputation. Sure is easier using them than traveling out of state.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrys View Post
In particular warranty service?
Nope. If I did encounter a problem, I would call Jayco and let them handle it cuz it's their warranty program.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If they have the time. Our dealer (has 3 locations) and is only working on units that they sold since they are busy with, warranty, out of warranty and delivery PDIs. They are having a very very hard time keeping up.
--------------------------------------------------------
Same here. Bought our Grayhawk 29MV at the Pomona RV show with the dealer being out of Riverside, CA ( 470 plus miles) from our home in North Las Vegas.

Called Johnny Walker RV in Vegas for a warranty issue and was told that they are busy with their own sales/warranty work and to drop it off and they "might" be able to get to it, as their customers come first!.

So, I've taken back to California and had my dealer do the service work.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

I'll update that after talking to dealers it was pretty clear that if they're busy, those who have purchased RVs from them are top priority. And that is especially true if you chose to purchase from a non-local dealer. Folks who move to the area, or who are just passing through on a vacation, are also higher priority. I was told folks in that low priority category might have to wait months for service during peak season. I was also told that Jayco's reimbursement rate for warranty service is rather low, if you want to hire good mechanics you might end up paying your mechanic more per hour than Jayco remiburses and that is a factor as well.

It makes sense on one hand, but I do think it's frustrating compared to the automotive model where any dealer will take care of you.
thearrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

My Local Dealer is 25 miles from where my White Hawk is parked, but 80+ from where I live. They told me that they waive the trip charge for customers at out campground. Nice people.

David & Amy Adkins
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Zeus, Little (the pups)
DJ-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote