Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

I'm going to get a portable generator, but I don't know which one yet.

It will probably be a 2000W with a second one to be paralled in later. 3000W would be nice if I can afford it and lift it. I would appreciate any comments from generator owners/users in this forum regarding brands, pros and cons, and any other information a first time buyer should know.

One area of concern after looking at some online was the optional wheel kits for pulling the generator into place with a handle. The wheels looked small to the extent they might not roll well through gravel or loose dirt. I would consider another (possibly homemade dolly) arrangement with larger wheels.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Most generators with wheels will be too heavy for one person to lift. So if you need to get it into and out of the back of your tow vehicle (pickup) you will need help.
The advantage is that a larger generator will be able to run more things, like your a/c unit, which a 2000 watt won't run. As for the wheels, you won't be hauling the generator very far anyway - remember it can only go as far as your electrical cord and you will need a heavy cord to deliver the power.

Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard for generators. They are reliable, quiet, and are inverter generators, so they deliver clean electricity which is important for running electronics like TV, computers, etc. However, like gold...they are very expensive. They have 1000, 2000 and 3000 watt inverter generators. The 2000i watt ones are pretty portable and one person can lift and carry them. The 3000 ones start getting pretty heavy for one person to handle. These are the two most popular, and their owners say they are well worth the investment.

Champion also has a 2000 watt inverter generator for about 1/2 the price of the Honda or Yamaha. They don't deliver quite the same power (even though they are rated to do so) but for most things on your RV (other than the a/c) they should be adequate. I personally have the Champion and it works well. We are on the lower budget end of camping, so it was a good purchase for us, thus far. The Champion 2000i is also very quiet compared to non-inverter generators.

Powerhouse is the newest low-priced kid on the block. They also have inverter generators and are even less expensive than the Champions. However, there doesn't appear to be a lot of long term experience with them yet so there isn't a lot of on-line coment about their performance and durability. Maybe some others here on the forum have some experience they can relate.

I would advise staying away from the Contractor-grade generators. They are much less expensive and deliver more power than the inverter generators (Champion makes a 4000 watt with a 30 AMP hookup for RVs for around $350-$400) but they are terribly loud. Please consider your neighbors when camping and don't get one of these generators. Some of them claim to be quiet, but remember that the decibel scale is a logorithmic scale - so a few points higher on the scale isn't just a bit louder, it can be twice or 3 times as loud. I think that most folks here can relate stories of having camped next to someone who runs their generator in the evening and night hours...and the up and down droning can drive a neighbor crazy...and angry.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Hi dewey02, and thanks for the good information. I'll look seriously at Champion. You made me remember somthing from years ago (before restricted hours). I met a camper who had listened to his neighbors generator all night, and when it quit, their dog started barking because he knew they had woke up. You could have fried an egg on that man's forehead.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Team

I have a Honda 2000i. It was not purchased for running ac but it allows us to boondock if we want. It also is put to use at home during power failures and for running a blower on our property.

They are pricey but very quiet and dependable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Another consideration might be the Yamaha EF2400iSHC.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=honda+yamaha

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

I have a Honda eu2000i as well. Got it used on Craigslist,from a couple getting out of RVing, for $600. There are deals on the Hondas and Yamahas if you be patient and look around. Please don't get a contractor grade...everyone in the campground will appreciate it.

I am very happy with my Honda. Don't boondock in places were we would need AC so that wasn't a serious consideration for us. If that changes we would just get another to parallel them together.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
I have used 2 euHonda 2000i generators in parallel for 7 or 8 years and are very dependable, easy to use and maintain. I have also used the generators for many other projects. Our AC on a previous Jayco 24 ft. 5th wheel TT drew 11.6 amps at start up and then settled down. One generator could be sufficient unless other appliances are in use at the same time.These generators are made for us retirees, great for dry camping and are light and easy to lift.
Now we have a Skylark FK. I have not figured out what is the best way to transport these two 50 LB. generators now that we have a trailer that has only around a 300+ Lb.rear TT cargo/baggage capacity. Has any one else had this challenge? The rear cargo hold is out of the question.
Ron
Skylark 2012, 2005 Toyota 4Runner
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

I have a Yamaha 3000iSEB as stated in my signature. While this unit is heavy, it can handle everything in the camper in turn. I have it mounted to my bike rack in the rear with straps and chained to the bumper for security. Never have to move it during a trip which is nice. This unit will also run some of my house during power outages which is very nice. Quite is an understatement for these units while under light loads and in econo modes.

The wheels are permanent and do a decent job over grass and firmed ground like wood chips and such. It is electric or pull start which add's to the weight but my wife can start it right up.

The parralell units are very nice with movement and the possibility of only using one for a light trip with low wattage demands. The Honda and Yamaha's have tri fuel conversion kits too if you want to run on propane for no hauling of gas.

I went with the branded product based on longevity and reputation. I did strongly consider off brand Chinese ones while researching but just went for it after careful thought and seeing some in use. Some come with RV plugs some don't and require a simple adapter to use the higher amp outlets.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Generac ix1600. My wife and I bought one of those for our camper just prior to Hurricane Sandy (we live in NJ). We lost power at home during the storm and I wanted to fire up the unit to watch some TV and have some lights. The dang thing FAILED right out of the box. As soon as we fired it up, the made a loud snapping, crackle, POP and it went directly into overload even through nothing was attached to the unit. We had to bring it to the Generac Dealer for repair and that was 3 weeks ago. Their customer service is terrible.

Also, one last thing. While Generac proudly advertises their generators are made in the USA, this particular model is made in China. If I had known that at the time, I would not have purchased it.
Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

I always like to bring up the generator use time that may not be available to you whenever you want to run your generator.

Just keep in mind the norm for generator use at most camp grounds is 8AM-10AM and then again 4:30PM to 7:30PM. This doent give you much time to run a generator for running your air conditioner. You will find places that have other generator use time allowed but that is always something that is campground dependent.

This is why alot of users only get a generator to suppliment their camping off the power grid places and beef up their battery system. The game plan is to figure what all you want to run off the batteries and make the battery bank big enough to support that. This will include several items to be updated as well to handle items that draws alot of DC power. Going with smart-mode converter/charger, changing over to LED lights, installing Inverter to run your 120VAC appliances you need to have, etc... You plan for what it takes to make it thru the one day/night camping experience and then at 8AM the next morning you can connect your trailer shore power cable to your "smaller generator" (I do just fine with my 2KW Honda) to allow your on-board smart mode converter/charger to re-charge your battery bank back up to their 90% charge state so that you can do this all over again for the next day/night camping run from the batteries. This of course does allow you to run you air conditioner or high wattage appliances but most everything is fair game if you plan for it.

I run all of my 120VAC and 12VDC toys from my 12VDC 255AH battery bank and we do just fine until 8Am the next morning when allowed to run our generator at most places to re-charge our batteries.

Just passing on food for thought. Everyone that gets a new big ole trailer always wants to get a big generator to go with it only to find out they can't run their generator every place and times they want to due to generator run time restrictions. So most of us do the other thing of beefing up our trailer battery resources to run all of our toys the non-generator way when camping off the power grid.

You will find places that will allow use of your generator to fit your schedules but they are not the norm. The East side of the US seems to have more rules like this then the West side does... Even the Natl Forest areas have rules for generators and even what kind of generator you can use to prevent forest fires.

rules-rules-rules everywhere.

Beef up your battery systems and turn up your nose at the noise rules... Adding solar panels is even better - they dont make any noise either.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #11

I don't have much experience with generators, but quite a bit with Honda engines. So here's my opinion.

My first TT was used and came with an essentially unused Champion 3500/4000. It was heavy, a hundred pounds I'd say, and pretty noisey. Started fine, ran fine. I let it stay with the trailer when we sold it.

We don't have an urgent need for a generator, but I'm going to buy one anyway, probably in January. Researching, Hyundai is cheap and, according to reviews, isn't as dependable as the Champions. I've looked at Yamaha's generators and would consider that brand if Honda wasn't available.

I've had honda engines in cars, motorcycles, outboards and currently a log splitter. I see no reason to look further. It's now just a matter of whether to get a pair of small ones, the EU2000i Companion, and then as I can afford it, an EU2000i, the one without the 30 amp outlet, or a single but heavier larger one.

So, OP, you can look all over but you won't find a safer choice than Honda, again, IMO.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

I have a Champion 4000 watt. It is heavy [100 pounds plus] noisy, and has a 30 amp plug for the trailer, but only has a 25 amp circuit breaker for the plug. I know that they are not cheap but I will most likely get the Honda's next time. Much more quiet, lighter and maybe more fuel efficient.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #13

I have a eu2000i companion ( 30 amp plug ) and a eu2000i with two 20 amp duplex plugs and a battery charger port. If i want to use the electric water heater and toaster and coffee make at the same time I have to run both. In the summer i can run a/c with both, just the fan with one, Other wise a toaster and coffee running at the same time one just works ok. Batteries will charge faster with both running in econo mode. I just boondocked for two weeks hunting in northern michigan, the furnace can run for several days on my 464 ah battery bank ( 2 6 volt 232 interstate batterys ). The switch to leds dropped my overall useage a lot. The fridge and furnace combined draw 15 amps per hour. I ran the generators for coffee and showers in the am and tv time at night just to prepare for the freezing temps. Everything worked fantastic. The hondas are quiet, do not scare deer, and everyone commented on how quiet they were. Anyone can start the hondas. Super easy and well worth the money, remember the happiness of a good deal does not last longer than the bitterness of aggrevation with an inferior product. Buying the hondas hurt a bit, but they work everytime.
Two 24" 1080p led tv's
Prodigy p3 brake controller
Equalizer WDH
2 eu2000i Honda's ( one companion )
All lights converted to LEDs
oaeyeo121003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaeyeo121003 View Post
remember the happiness of a good deal does not last longer than the bitterness of aggrevation with an inferior product
I love this. It's so true. . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaeyeo121003 View Post
.... the furnace can run for several days on my 464 ah battery bank ( 2 6 volt 232 interstate batterys ).
Just to keep the record straight two 6 volt 232 AH batteries in series is 12 volts with 232 AH of capacity. You do not add the AH's in a series configuration.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

I am entirely happy with my 2 Champion 2000W gennys. One of them will operate my camper w/AC. I bought the other one because I got a screaming deal on it and I couldn't pass it up. Plus it would be nice to be able to pair them and feed my house if needed.

They are REALLY REALLY quiet. They start on the first pull and pair together nicely. They will not do anything above 1500w for more than a few seconds (if at all really). It should really be considered a 1500w generator. They are not as light or as compact as the Honda or Yamaha, but they are close. But you can also buy two of em for less than the price of one Honda. I bought two Champion 2000w with the pairing kit for $800. I would be lucky to buy a used Honda for that!

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #17

I've had a Honda 2000i for ten years. I've used it for boon docking and for stick house power when the electricity goes off. The only things I have had to do to it are: annual oil and air filter service, cleaning some trash from the carburetor, and adding fuel. It starts (if it's been run in the last several days) on the first pull, and on the second or third pull if it's been a while since it has been run. I've got a new spark plug if it ever needs one.

I only wish all of my trailer was as reliable as my Honda generator.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #18

I've got a Yamaha EF2800i and I've been very pleased with it. It won't run my 15k AC, but could run the 13.5 in my old TT.

Very quiet, reliable, has variable RPMs so it sips gas based on load, and I wouldn't have one w/o an inverter. It's light enough to move around easily.

Name:  19-4515-color.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  23.5 KB
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #19

I have a Yamaha EF 2000is. It is quiet and can be carried by one person. I'm quite happy with it. I will get another one soon. Will be able to run everything including the air conditioner. Since we keep our trailer on the back of our property we can live in it if the power goes out in the house. Can also use one to run the fridge in the house if necessary. I went with Yamaha because I own other Yamaha stuff; audio equipment and FJR1300 motorcycle, all of which I have been happy with. If the Yamahas were't available I wouldn't hesitate to get the Hondas.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #20

Only for information, not recommend since it is new. Ryobi just introduced a new 2K generator inverter with wheels for 599.00 dollars. It weighs in I believe at around 55 lbs. I have had great results with all of mr Ryobi tools and am bidding my time to see more reviews on this product. Think the noise level is near 7 decibels higher than Honda. But looking at a price tag of 1 grand for Honda or Yamaha I sure can use other places to spend the extra 400 dollars.check out you tube they have a side by side evaluation of both units. Good luck with your decision making and most of all HAPPY TRAILERING.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote