Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Increased Capacity Water Tanks

So I ordered the "elite package" for our first trailer. As a "newbie" I have been researching things quite a bit. It got me thinking about the increased water tanks that come with the elite package. If my gray and black tanks stay the same size, what really is the benefit of the increased water? Unless I'm boon docking my grey tank will fill up and need to be emptied before I even get to tap into the extra water. So unless I'm dumping the grey water on the ground (which from reading is a big no no), I would have to go the RV dump station anyways where I could fill up with water again. Is my thinking correct? Would love some insight from an experienced owner!

Also I was wondering is there a drain for the fresh water? What if I don't use it all during the camping trip? Do I have to run the faucet to drain it out? How long can the water stay in the tanks to the point where you would not advise using it? How long can the grey and black tanks stay filled? I was wondering if I was camping one week, then not going for a week or two do I have to dump every time we leave a trip or is it OK for the camper to hold it in the tanks for a couple weeks?
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
So I ordered the "elite package" for our first trailer. As a "newbie" I have been researching things quite a bit. It got me thinking about the increased water tanks that come with the elite package. If my gray and black tanks stay the same size, what really is the benefit of the increased water? You can better select when/where to take on water. You may have the chance to dump, but good water may not be available at that location.. I don't add water at dump locations at gas stations, rest areas, etc. You also have the OPTION... you don't have to fill the fresh water to capacity, if you don't want to.

Unless I'm boon docking my grey tank will fill up and need to be emptied before I even get to tap into the extra water. So unless I'm dumping the grey water on the ground (which from reading is a big no no), I would have to go the RV dump station anyways where I could fill up with water again. Maybe. Not always. Is my thinking correct? Would love some insight from an experienced owner!

Also I was wondering is there a drain for the fresh water? Yes. There is a low point drain for that. Ours is on the right side, between the entry steps and tires.What if I don't use it all during the camping trip? Do I have to run the faucet to drain it out? NoHow long can the water stay in the tanks to the point where you would not advise using it? I've gone roughly two weeks; I sanitized my system at the beginning of the season and put clean water in.How long can the grey and black tanks stay filled? I drain them both before parking it after camping... after a weekend or several months.I was wondering if I was camping one week, then not going for a week or two do I have to dump every time we leave a trip or is it OK for the camper to hold it in the tanks for a couple weeks?I don't know if it is OK, but I don't do that.
How's that for a start?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

I love my 90 gallon water tank. It was one of the reasons I chose my Jayco.

You can conserve and make your black water tank last pretty long before you have to dump. Get a portable tote to dump the grey tank into and tow that to the dump station. Works great for us.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe View Post
I love my 90 gallon water tank. It was one of the reasons I chose my Jayco.

You can conserve and make your black water tank last pretty long before you have to dump. Get a portable tote to dump the grey tank into and tow that to the dump station. Works great for us.
X2

We just spent 4 nights/5 days over New Years. Was able to bring 90 gal of water from home and then with the use of my 25 gal barker tote we were able t dry camp just like we had hook-ups. I made one trip to the dump station on day 3 to dump grey with the barker, the black never got close.

Many people have reservations to haul water, but I have no issues hauling full fresh water tanks. The extra ~700lbs aren't noticeable and no effect on tow truck performance or fuel economy. We really prefer water from home, even though we rarely drink it as it's typically for cooking and cleaning.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

Likely you would only use the water tanks to full capacity if camping at a site that did not have water ie. in researching camping in Pennsylvania the sites only have Electricity or boondocking. You would put a little water in one tank to be able to run the toilet etc while on the road. At sites with water you would generally use the City Water connection or if you wanted to use the tanks fill them up at home or your site then use the low water drain to empty them before traveling this way you are not towing the extra weight. We only use this water for washing or cleaning, not drinking.

As for the Gray Tank emptying use a Barker (I have the 22 Gal version) or Thetford portable tank and empty into and tow to the Dump Station (assuming you don't have a sewer hook up at the site).

Black tank wise we could go 5 to 6 days in our small 22 gal Black Tank in our old X19H so you should be good with the 39 gal tank.

Always empty the Gray and Black before leaving the campground if at all possible.

On a side note I saw on another thread the you were ordering a 27BHS. Did you take a good look at the 28BHBE? The ladder at the bunks, the U Dinette and the larger shower and bath entrance are some nice upgrades for not much more $, weight and length. Just a thought...
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
How's that for a start?
Thank You! That is a HUGE help. I also didnt know they make totes, very useful. So I'm camping mainly at Ohio State Parks. So your saying the dump stations may not have fres water I can use?
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

I love my 90 gallon tank, especially when camping with no hook ups.. To save on the grey water tank filling up, I use my outdoor shower for me and my 2 boys. The wife still uses the bath/shower.
I've never had my black tank fill on me unless we are camping longer than 1 week.
I always dump my tanks( black then grey) as soon as I can, but as far as I know, leaving them full for a week or two should be ok, but you might need to use chemicals for odour...
I never leave fresh water in my tank after my trip, it will just breed bacteria in my opinion.. New water every trip, sanatizing tank and lines 2 times a year.
As far as draining the 90gallong tank through the tiny low point drain on the outside...takes a while... I let it drain as I drive home or turn pump on and pump the grey and black tanks full as that's the fastest way to empty the water out of the tank.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank You! That is a HUGE help. I also didnt know they make totes, very useful. So I'm camping mainly at Ohio State Parks. So your saying the dump stations may not have fres water I can use?
Some dump sites have potable (ie 'drinkable') water, but not all of them. But, virtually all of the dump sites will have non-potable water for cleaning up after dumping and you maybe to connect that hose to a black tank flush.

I am cautious (paranoid?) when it comes to my fresh water... maybe others are, too, because they only drink/cook with bottled water. Rightly or wrongly, I only connect to fresh water that I believe to be OK. And then I run it through my carbon block filter and water softening filter before it goes into my fresh tank. I do not connect to the 'city water' connection because the pressure regulator and my filters restrict the flow. I use the trailer's water pump for better water flow for showers etc.

Even at the campgrounds where I believe the water to be OK, I spray the water connection faucet and knob with a bleach solution and run the water briefly before connecting my fresh water hose. Why? Because I don't know if the previous camper was handling his sewer hose just before disconnecting his water hose. At dump stations with potable water, did the previous person use that to clean out his sewer hose? Paranoid or cautious?

BTW, before leaving home wit the trailer, I fill my fresh water tank with city water (chlorinated, etc., of course) that ran through my water softener. A nice way to start the trip using water from home. And when I add water to a non-empty tank, it makes a smooth transition to the campground water.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Likely you would only use the water tanks to full capacity if camping at a site that did not have water ie. in researching camping in Pennsylvania the sites only have Electricity or boondocking. You would put a little water in one tank to be able to run the toilet etc while on the road. At sites with water you would generally use the City Water connection or if you wanted to use the tanks fill them up at home or your site then use the low water drain to empty them before traveling this way you are not towing the extra weight. We only use this water for washing or cleaning, not drinking.

As for the Gray Tank emptying use a Barker (I have the 22 Gal version) or Thetford portable tank and empty into and tow to the Dump Station (assuming you don't have a sewer hook up at the site).

Black tank wise we could go 5 to 6 days in our small 22 gal Black Tank in our old X19H so you should be good with the 39 gal tank.

Always empty the Gray and Black before leaving the campground if at all possible.

On a side note I saw on another thread the you were ordering a 27BHS. Did you take a good look at the 28BHBE? The ladder at the bunks, the U Dinette and the larger shower and bath entrance are some nice upgrades for not much more $, weight and length. Just a thought...
Great Info thanks! We did really like the 28BHBE, that shower is very nice in that unit! However we figured that we would be showering at the parks anyways. The tub will be good for our small kids. I am rather tall, and the 27BHS has a full 80" queen. I know some say just throw a regular mattress on the rv queens, but the extra space in the bedroom really made a difference for me. The U Dinettes really dont appeal to me with that small end section, only a small child can fit back there. Additionally we wanted the outside fridge. So all in all seemed like the best fit.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

As others have said, the 90 gallon FW tank capacity gives you a lot of freedom and options.

We have a shower tent we take along and erect behind our TT at the outside shower outlet. Not all places will allow its use, but some do. Nice to have additional room to shower in, and also not worry about filling GW tank.

We also have an outside camp kitchen where we do dishes and meal prep. We drain that into a 5 gallon bucket, and that can often be dumped into the vault toilet at the CG when full.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Most Ohio State parks that I have been to have potable water, at the dump site and spread throughout the camp ground loops.

It is usually a lot more effort to haul fresh water to the trailer, than to haul gray water away.

Mine has 45 gallons capacity, and when going for more than a couple days, I would dump water in the gravity fill 6 gallons at a time. Seeing fewer and fewer rigs with gravity fill provisions.

We try to conserve water when not hooked up to water. Military type showers. Water on and get wet, water of while scrubbing, water on to rinse. Don't skimp with water in the toilet!

The gray water totes that have been mentioned are common and I have one. Have used it several times, very handy, especially at National Park Campgrounds. It's just bulky to store and haul. Never dump your black tank into it!!! Never!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Great Info thanks! We did really like the 28BHBE, that shower is very nice in that unit! However we figured that we would be showering at the parks anyways. The tub will be good for our small kids. I am rather tall, and the 27BHS has a full 80" queen. I know some say just throw a regular mattress on the rv queens, but the extra space in the bedroom really made a difference for me. The U Dinettes really dont appeal to me with that small end section, only a small child can fit back there. Additionally we wanted the outside fridge. So all in all seemed like the best fit.
Sounds like you got what worked for you… which is what its all about, just wanted to mention it in case you had not looked at one. The short Queen was the only thing I wish was different on the BHBE, for us the outside kitchen was not something we wanted wheres the larger bathroom/shower and U Dinette (coming from a standard dinette in our Hybrid) was.

When we got our Hybrid we figured we would shower in the Bath Houses but after a couple times even I preferred to Shower in our tiny corner shower (which was actually not to bad, and Im a big guy) than the Bathhouse, especially in Florida by the time you got back to your Campsite you were all sweaty again!

I know I'm cheating so it's not "real camping" (though actually having a trailer to camp in is kinda cheating) but it is the only luxury I wanted…

In response to your question on your other thread we ordered the Thermal Package, while not true 4 Seasons its better to have a little more insulation than less. I also saw you said you got the 50 Amp Service which should come with 2nd A/C Prep. Did you order the 2nd A/C? It is much less expensive to have it installed from the factory than later on plus you will get the % discount you received off the total package i.e. 30%. Same goes for the Thermal Package.

Good Luck with the New Rig!
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote