Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Initial quality poll as delivered.
Quality level 1 (Terrible) 24 3.70%
Quality level 2 20 3.09%
Quality level 3 31 4.78%
Quality level 4 33 5.09%
Quality level 5 66 10.19%
Quality level 6 30 4.63%
Quality level 7 107 16.51%
Quality level 8 173 26.70%
Quality level 9 124 19.14%
Quality level 10 (Outstanding) 40 6.17%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #81

A five........barely.

Screw pulled out behind the jackknife couch and floor support lumber.
Screw pulled out from the inside slide wall which holds the dinette seat back.
Shower surround fell out of the tracks.
Shower plumbing access port door fell off. Held on with velcro tape.
Two rear burners on the Atwood stove won't piezo ignite.
Mattress support lumber screw pulled out and cracked that support beam.
Wafer thin luan ply staples pulled out revealing the sheets on the mattress from the pass thru storage.
Mattress has developed a canyon in the middle. (possibly due to the under support lumber)

All major systems work fine. It's all about the cheap, out of sight materials used, and what I consider, shoddy workmanship.
A couple more screws with anchors and more substantial wood support framing for the furniture supports would do it.
Solid 2x3 lumber, adequate sized screws and anchors can't weigh that much can they?

A shout out to Johnnie Walker RV in Las Vegas.
Despite the service department saying "we're swamped", the service manager said bring it in..."We will take care of it"....after a generic service writer told me it would be a 3 week wait for an open service slot.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #82
Site Team

Time for some new members to reign in on initial quality.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #83

This will be my second post, because I purchased a new RV this year. My previous RV was a Northpoint 311RKTS which I probably didn't rate very high. The primary problem was the continual failure of the Schwintek slide.

I have just completed my first season with my 2017 Pinnacle 38FLSA. My rating for the trailer would be a 9. Quality control appears to have been much better than on the last one. We still have Schwintek slides, but they are all short and so far have functioned without a problem. My concerns are fairly minor:

1. This model has a greatly reduced underbelly storage. I suspect it has to do with the front living arrangement somehow. Not much room and difficult to access.
2. This model is equipped for a washer dryer. There are faucets and a drain in the closet. I have no intention of ever using it and wish there were some shutoff valves so I wouldn't have to worry about winterizing it.
3. As in every other Jayco I have ever owned (4) the fresh water and holding tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
4. This model is equipped with a Sanicon macerator pump. Haven't really found a need for it, but it is something additional I have to remember to winterize. Also, it's tough to tell when it's done pumping, but will suddenly quit if it overheats. I ended up just not using it.

Overall I'm very happy with the trailer and look forward to next year and more travels. It's long (42'), and heavy (14k lbs.) but trails well and has provided us with plenty of enjoyment.

Jim
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #84

My wife and I purchased our first trailer ever April 2016 from the worst dealer ever. The whole purchase experience was a complete nightmare due to my tow vehicle was not suited to pull the trailer I bought but they insisted I would be fine. I just can't believe they let me drive off the lot. I never felt so unsafe in my life driving it home on the what was suppose to be an exciting day. In the end I was fortunate enough to have means to buy a new TV without going bankrupt. Enough of that let's talk about my Jayco experience because the dealer doesn't build the trailer.

I bought a 2016.5 WH 25BHS with the island and opposite side back door. We love it and it has done us well for a family of four. I have 2 big boys 12 & 16 and a 80lb lab.

I would say the mattress and beds in the bunks suck but we added a 3" foam topper to the queen bed and I recently put 1.5" foam toppers on the bunks which has made the sleeping experience much better. I have done tons of MODs and love tinkering around looking to make everything fit better or ensuring maintenance is done to lengthen the life of the trailer.

It has never been in the shop over 18 trips with around 2500 miles thus far. I did have the charging station plug next to the bed break but I called the service dept and the just ordered me a new one and I did the install.

I keep the trailer plugged in all the time because I will use the trailer a coulple of nights a month to watch a movie with the wife. Plus it allows us to keep the trailer from just sitting dormant. I put the slides in and out at least 3-4 times a month and pull the trailer forward a few inches so the tires don't sit too long in the off season. One thing that does bug me is the GFCI plug in the kitchen pops at least once or twice a trip and if I run the microwave and AC it will pop a breaker but not every time.
I rate my trailer a 9+ cause a 10 is perfection and nothing is perfect. I'm always sad to hear the bad experiences people have had but what I hear from friends all brands have been having problems and the service departments can't keep up with the repairs so they sit for a minimum of 2 months at the shop. That is why I make sure I do my best to keep it well maintained to help avoid using my warranty.

Happy camping!!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:26 AM   #85

initial Quality Poll

Purchased a 23MRB. I give it a 10, a few minor issues.
1. Snap holding folding table was defective, table fell and dented the refrigerator door.
2. Locks for Murphy Bed were installed so bed might "bounce" back and forth about an inch. Service Tech fixed it on the spot.

That's it. Very happy with the unit and have had no issues while using it for camping/travleling.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #86
cwh

I gave mine an 8...so far. Bought it July a 29RLDS JF. Initial walk thru was a brief 30 mins which at the time wasn't an issue since it is my second camper. This one is bigger and has slides. Actually we've only found 1 major issue so far and that's the shower surround coming loose from the wall. Had to duct tape it on until I could get it in to the dealer. The microwave turn table didn't work which as has been said that's a supplier issue. But my dealer experience wasn't like REDSNAPPER's...They told me a couple days and its been 2 weeks and counting. OH and while it was in for repair they damaged the unit. So I'm not too happy with my dealer at the moment. But the camper seems to be fairly well built though. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong in the next year and a half.
cwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #87

I gave it a nine.

We bought our 23BHM at the beginning of July and have used it quite a bit. We're going out again on Friday the 13th to a place relatively close to us for a Halloween Spooktacular thing and we're looking forward to that (not wishing our lives away however ).

We've only had five minor issues with the trailer:

1. The Furrion head unit worked but was wonky. Jayco sent a replacement right away and I pulled the old one out and popped the new one in.

2. The knob that opens and closes the Fantastic Vent has a design problem. It's a new style and my dealer overnighted an old-style replacement.

3. One of the under-counter kitchen drawer fronts is a little crooked. Works fine but if you look closely you can see it.

4. The pull-down blind on the big window in the slide is weirdly crooked. It works just fine and I'm pretty sure messing with the cords would straighten it but it's not really a priority.

5. There are little cabinet doors under the dinette seats and on one of them the hinge screw holes were all stripped out on the top hinge. I put in bigger screws and all is well.

That's about it. One experience with Jayco customer service went very well. My dealer is great. I would (will) buy a Jayco again.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #88
Site Team

Since I'm a professional procrastinator, with a short memory, I did give ours a 9 a long while back, but apparently forgot to post why! So here goes....at the PDI there were four very minor concerns. All were taken care of in short order. Now at five years old, it's still a 9. We've replaced the bath skylight, the CO/propane detector, and one wheel grease cap. none of which is initial quality stuff. Just thought I'd catch up here.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #89
Site Team

Despite all the horror stories the silent majority (77.81%) still give their unit a rating of 7 or better initial quality.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #90

Here my list of issues on the night of purchase... I should have learned the Jayco Warantee sham from my previous model but heres a new leaf.

Jayco 2019 JayFeather SLX 174BH

1) rim grease hub cover is missing
2) a/c unit leaked all inside the cabinets
3) front door has a gap on top of about 3/4 inch so it does not seal.
4) door does not close unleas you pull the latch open, installed incorrectly
5) front window leaks in while on highway
6) a wood frame piece fell off under the sink area
7) passanger side tail light retains water

So my previous model and experience with Jayco warantee which took 8 month to get my replacement part my rating would be a 4 out of 10 on their warantee and customer service.

The model listed above well... its only been a week we shall see how this one plays out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Initial Quality poll. How would you rate the overall quality of your RV AS DELIVERED. One through ten, one being terrible ten being outstanding. This poll is for those that purchased new, not used..

We need everyone that is relevant to vote in these quality polls so we can use the info as a reference point. Many times only problems are reported on forums so these polls will show just how good or bad the experience has been for all members. Please Vote.

This poll is just that, a poll on initial quality. Report specific problems in the Jayco Problems and Issues forum. Civil discussion is welcome BUT rants, vents, and brand bashing will not be tolerated in this thread.
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #91

I checked 9. Definitely not a 10, maybe an 8.

I've had the back flow preventer on the black tank flush fail, put water all inside the rear outside storage area.

One of the external speakers in the electric awning arms doesn't work. Haven't taken it back to the dealer. The speakers aren't very good anyway. I may just get a pair of blue tooth speakers and use them, instead of the speakers in the awning arms.

A cone washer failed in the bathroom sink. It was inserted incorrectly and then crushed when the fitting was tightened. I just bought a few and fixed it myself.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #92

Is 1 or 10 the highest? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Is 1 or 10 the highest? Thanks
10 is the highest, first post in the thread explains it all.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #94

Ours is a 9...hasn't been back to dealer for anything yet and so far so good. I have done a few adjustments myself here and there but no big deal.

We have made a few upgrades to make travels better for us. Mattress memory foam topper, scan gauge II, TPMS, surge protector and made electric cord removable, and a few more little things.

We are very pleased with our Jayco. Hope it last but I really can't see any reason why it won't.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #95

I happy to hear that most Jayco’s are coming in with over all scores of 7. I am getting my new Eagle 321 RSTS next month and reading the problems that other Jayco owners have started with on new rigs has really made me nervous
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #96

I voted in this back at the beginning... and the TT was new. Now, after 2 years and 12,000 miles... more importantly over 60 nights of use, it rates a 9. If I hadn't had to change out the tires, mattress, and add the bunk ladder, it would be a 10. Everything is in good working order and nothing is falling off... and we had no damage from the blown tire. Not sure I could have expected better from any other manufacturer, especially at this price point.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #97

And, after 18months living in it full time (only 5000mi of travel) I would still give ours a 7 or even an 8. Everything has held up well.

I'd still not recommend an RV like these to someone who cannot do a lot of the work themselves. Lots of little things I have fixed. A lot like owning a home.

If you cannot work on it yourself then find a local service person who can. FWIW, many of the things that go wrong can be fixed by any house type handyman service.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #98

we had rusty stabilizers...stapled wardrobe bottoms popped out after first trip...had to glue and screw

stapled pantry shelves collapsed after last trip of first season...had to screw and glue

hot water tank is a pain to light for first time each season...but is fine after that
Old 06-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #99

I wonder if Jayco corporate ever reads this forums. Especially this one on quality
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #100

They dont have to come here to know whats going on .... and why they would care about what they already know ? No need to be an engineer to know that luan and staples wont hold up... Grand design have reps on their facebook page... the poor guys are running out excuses... marketing BS work only for sometimes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSD View Post
I wonder if Jayco corporate ever reads this forums. Especially this one on quality

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote