Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Initial quality poll as delivered.
Quality level 1 (Terrible) 24 3.70%
Quality level 2 20 3.09%
Quality level 3 31 4.78%
Quality level 4 33 5.09%
Quality level 5 66 10.19%
Quality level 6 30 4.63%
Quality level 7 107 16.51%
Quality level 8 173 26.70%
Quality level 9 124 19.14%
Quality level 10 (Outstanding) 40 6.17%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #101

Just finishing up our first camping trip

We are heading home today after camping for the past week - we picked up our TT from the dealer on June 4. We bought a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 324BDS, towed with an F150 FX4. (And yes, we have the Proride hitch with weight distribution, etc.)

During our walk-through, we inspected everything very closely per a checklist I downloaded (maybe from this forum? or maybe not). We opened every drawer and door, looked underneath for hanging wires or other signs of trouble, tested all systems, stood in the shower, etc. I rate the initial quality a solid 9. There is one piece of molding near the bed that needs to be re-glued. And our stabilizer jacks were....gunky? - not rusty, but had some sort of debris on them and were hard to turn, even with an electric drill, until we bought WD-40. And thanks to this forum, we bought a mattress topper before we even picked up the TT. Having said that, there were literally no other problems - all the screws appear to be in tight, no bubbles, molding is lined up straight, the appliances all work well, etc.

We aren't as happy with the dealer, who didn't install a few items as previously requested and therefore delayed our pick-up, and who only gave us one key and told us to come back the following week for a second key, but that is not a Jayco issue.
MandMinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #102
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSD View Post
I wonder if Jayco corporate ever reads this forums. Especially this one on quality
Actually the numbers in the poll are not bad overall.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #103

Ours sucks. Bought in May and had it out for one,week. More failures. Total count 25. Stove top, furnace duct, slides, fridge, water heater, parts missing, closet rods too short, leak in,FW,system. Still,at Dealer for more broken stuff
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #104

We cannot believe that ducting was not connected to the furnace. Shame on me. We lulled out of the Dealer with a tire at 55 PSIG. I took the tech's word he checked them. Never again. Stove didn't work. He said he didn't want to turn the propane on, but he said he checked it.. Icemaker didn't work. Never opened the valve. But he said it ran for days and turned off the fridge. Lies, lies, lies. And lousy quit from the factory. Oh letsonot forget the pAtronizing customer service who told me if I tried to fix anything it word void the warranty.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #105

Not too bad

Picked up my 2019 321 RSTS 6 weeks ago. We have camped about 14 nights so far. The only problem we found was a propane leak back at the quick connect. Had to have the shore power connection replace. Finally the heating vent in bathroom was coming loose. Our dealer is Hanner RV Super Center in Baird Texas. The got us in immediately, fixed everything up and had us back on the road in a couple of days. I think the dealer makes the difference between a good experience and a bad one. If you are looking for a dealership for Jayco or Forest River Hanner is the place to go. The are also a Chevy Dealership. We bought our TV there also. I love my 5 er. Heading to Puerto Penasco today for 3 weeks on the beach.
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #106

I would rate the quality of my new Jay Flight 265 rls high based on the value for the money. The only problem we had was the water heater and we called, they asked where we were and they sent (2 days) a new circuit board. Easy to install and fixed. Of course your dealership is most important since they do so much detail work and are your first go to and COLERAIN RV is the best. Could not be happier.
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #107

Jayco Quality poll as delivered

2019 321 RSTS
Issues found after the PDI inspection a initial camping outing.
1. 3 storage door locks had to be adjusted as they did not lock the doors.
2. Vent fan in the bathroom is junk! Replaced with a fantastic fan.
3. Refrigerator door had a scuff and dent in it. I found that the small drawer next to the sink is not locking properly and comes open when traveling. Door is being replaced under warranty. Dealer said he see's allot of this. Jayco, why not correct the drawer?
4. Furion volume does not work on remote. Push to increase volume and it automatically goes to high volume.

5. Under step light was only screwed into the underside tarp material, not any wood backing.
6. 2 of the upper running lights will not seat into the fiberglass. I ran a bead of caulk around them. This would have allowed water to penetrate the fiberglass.

7. Best of all: when home with the unit, I activated the bedroom slide and nothing happened. After trouble shooting this, I found the main power wire going into the controller was not crimped from the factory. The wire was just sitting in the connector.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #108

Picked our Jayco up in Middlebury...left for a work kamping gig, lived in it for 6 months no problems worth talking about. A loose screw or two was about our only issues. Have done that for 4 years, other than normal maintenance issues no problems. Very happy and feel we got a terrific value for our $$. Actually had more issues with our new home which cost 10 times what the RV cost...and it's not bouncing down the road.

I find it amazing the RV industry can turn out products as good as they are at the price they do.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #109

2 years and 10,000 miles and very happy with our Jay Feather 23rlsw. Had clipped wire in awning under warranty this year and dealer got us in promptly. Thanks Wagner RV of Cleveland zWI. Rate it a 10.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #110

I wished I would have seen this thread earlier so I wouldn't have worried so much. Reading RV forums in general all you hear is the bad, and there's a lot of bad.
We shopped for a motor home for about three months. Looked at Thor, Coachman, Fleetwood and others. Even looked at some used diesels. Decided on a floor plan and ran across the Jayco Precept 36U and fell in love and made the purchase. The day we were supposed to pick it up the dealer called and said the dash A/C wasn t working. My first thought was here we go, the forums were right. Dealer sent it to Ford, Ford sent it back but explained why it wasn't working. So we picked it up a week later. PDI went well and the only two issues were the GPS and the oven wouldn't lite on auto. We took it home and driveway camped and found no more issues. Just returned from a four day camp at a local campground and only found a couple things. One window shade won't roll up and I can't get enough l.p. Gas from the quick disconnect to light the grill. The only issue I have that is aimed at Jayco is the location of one of the blank tank valves is underneath the coach, requiring you to crawl on the ground to access it. REALLY ? Since this is a new design the dealer was somewhat surprised and agreed to contact Jayco for some kind of a resolution. They've agreed to fix it for me even if Jayco doesnt. The tech said it would be fairly easy to turn the valve and have the handle come thru one of the storage compartments. Just called the dealer today to schedule this and they said bring it in next Wednesday and the would do everything while I wait. Pretty good, huh ? So overall I voted 9 for Jayco quality and our Dealer, (Vogt) has been excellent.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #111
Site Team

^^^Yes all the negative posts can leave one with RV quality vertigo lol, which is why I started this poll and the quality after two years poll to see what a cross section of our members think. The poll suggests most are satisfied with the quality of the unit as delivered, with most voting 7 or better. I will say though in the last few years there have been far more posts on the forum about quality issues then before the recent boom in Rv sales, and before the sale of the company. At one point it was difficult to find posts here from unhappy campers.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
^^^Yes all the negative posts can leave one with RV quality vertigo lol, which is why I started this poll and the quality after two years poll to see what a cross section of our members think. The poll suggests most are satisfied with the quality of the unit as delivered, with most voting 7 or better. I will say though in the last few years there have been far more posts on the forum about quality issues then before the recent boom in Rv sales, and before the sale of the company. At one point it was difficult to find posts here from unhappy campers.
Agree. Usually forums are for for complaining. Before I bought my Ford truck the forums said it would fall apart soon after purchasing. LOL. I was aware of that and it didn’t sway my decision. And I knew once I walked thru the Precept I could see a lot of quality workmanship
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #113

First , can I vote again since I have just received my new trailer ?

In regards of our new Jayflight 29RKS ... well we are really impressed, the quality is miles ahead if we compared to our WH 24RBS 2014.

A lot and lot of issue with the WH, water leaks , slide out leaks, super soft floor to repair not caused by the water but caused by the poor design called sandwich floor...

So far everything works, only a few cosmetic issue , a lots of worry for nothing ... now let see how its going to be after the first season

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #114

Most all of the posts here are for TT’s or 5’ers but the poll does not appear to exclude MH’s. Therefore I have thrown my hat in the ring and I interpret the question as quality as it was delivered to me and use after a few outings. For that I give it an 8. I did a lot of research before I purchased this coach based on budget and features and feel that I got a lot of bang for the buck. I, too, purchased at an RV show but I was looking for this specific model from the previous year which saved me a considerable amount of money and still gave me the 2 year warranty. My initial issues were a headlight alignment and a leaking hydraulic jack. The Girard tankless WH reared it’s ugly head but eventually a resolution was worked out. There is another poll out there for ownership after 2 years and I will offer my 2 cents there after I reach that milestone. Every time we go somewhere I look at other RV’s and realize how fortunate we are to be able to participate in this lifestyle. Everyone has a story to tell and we have all made a choice somewhere along the line that has helped determine our lot in life. But happiness is a state of mind and you can only be happy when you are satisfied with your life. I choose to be happy with the quality of my coach.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #115
Site Team

^^^ Yes the poll is for all types of RV that Jayco sells.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #116

I think we are seeing more negative posts in part, because more RV's are being sold..percentage wise it probably hasn't' changed. Also, many people are new to RVing and perhaps, part of their negative feelings, is expectations that are not realistic. On other sites I see people posting about rebuilding their RV and typically they are using the same products and techniques they would use in a stick and brick...RV's are not the same as stick and brick. The other issue is, people who have "grown up" on social media seem to enjoy bashing companies, things etc more than folks who didn't grow up on this media. Not saying just on Jayco but across a number of boards and number of areas of interest. It's easy to say what a bad product is, not so easy to say dang, I had no clue what I was doing, no wonder it didn't work as I expected. We see it all the time. Some, even long after the issues have been taken care of, still want to keep beating that dead horse every chance they get.. Just a sign of the times I guess. Most of us are pretty happy with our purchase, know we are.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #117

We enjoyed our 2017 x23b, and now are enjoying our 2019 Whitehawk 28RL. Minor things need a little tweak, but very happy!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #118

Your last point Wags is so true plus some folks would not be happy even if you hung them with a new rope, not all but some.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #119

Well, I am knockin on 60 and have bought RV's of one sort or another for 30 of those years.
I have to say I like the improvements over the years. Bonded and aluminum framed structures, foam insulation and aluminum/bubble sheet insulation, better water piping, valves, fittings, appliances etc are all better than years ago.
But... what I notice now is the workers seem to use axes and shovels to blindly make holes in the walls and floors to run the plumbing and electrical circuits instead of hole saws or drill bits. Their staple guns misfire as they run along the length of their project and they don't go back to hit it again or they just keep firing at one spot until they hit the target and leave all the useless ones. Oh..did I mention the staples instead of screws these days??
I imagine you are getting my point by now..
Seems to me the workers are pushed too hard or don't give a rats @%#.
Not picking on any one brand, seems like they all suffer from the same issues.
All in all, if you know these things going into it you should be quite happy with the reliability of todays units for the most part.
Oh..to answer the poll question..ours was delivered with obvious issues so minor we have waited until end of camping season #one to get them addressed so I give it an 8. Will reassess after next summer.
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #120

I ordered my 2019 Octane SL 222 in September with the intent of a January 2019 delivery.My dealer said 12 weeks average from placing order to delivery. My order was ready for me to pick up at my dealer by mid October.
I used the PDI sheet from this site and I was pleasantly surprised at how trouble free everything was .
There are 2 outstanding issues. The rear ramp door seal gasket at the upper right corner is not forming a seal. You can see daylight from inside easy fix when I return it for service and my mystery switch........
There was a switch (rocker on/off) at control center that did not turn anything on or off as far as anyone could discern. Dealer said they would solve the mystery. About a week later they called it was for the non doorside “porch light” mystery solved..........except they never installled the light fixture on the TT. Again dealer will fix at first return service.
All in all the fit and finish is good so far. This is my second new Jayco.
I had a good experience with my first Jayco a 1992 1401DLX pop up so I returned for my second and have no regrets.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote