Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Input Please! Ready to buy...but have concerns?

We've been shopping for a while for the right small travel trailer and believe we've found it in the Jayco Flight SLX 184BH Baja Edition.

We camp a lot throughout the year at mostly improved campgrounds, state parks, etc. However each Spring and Fall I go hunting to an area with very rough roads and no improved campground. We needed a TT that could handle both. We struggled with our search and the need for the increased ground clearance to handle our needs ...that is until finding the Jayco Flight SLX with the Baja package.

However, in researching this model, I have found many posts on this forum concerning leaks in the front window and the wall mounted AC units. It seems to be fairly pervasive problem with this model and over many model years.

Maybe this only my perception (overly sensetive) because I am ready to buy now and so the problem is standing out. I was hoping to get some real world input on the level of the issue - directly from Jayco owners.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Gearhoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

I have owned a few travel trailers over the last 20 years or so. All of them have issues, some brands more than others. I also have family members and friends who also have owned many RVs. I have seen it all in regards to major defects to minor and annoying problems in travel trailers, motor homes and fifth wheels.

I purchased a new Jayco Jayflight 27 RLS Elite this past April. Even though I have had to deal with a few minor problems, this unit by far is the most quality made trailer that I have owned or have seen anywhere. Nobody is my circle of friends and family have ever owned a Jayco. And when they take the 50 cent tour of my rig, I can see their faces light up when they experience the quality and the great looks of this unit. Just by showing them my trailer, I can see I am winning them over to Jayco.

Expect there will be issues with any trailer you buy. I am just saying that you will have alot less issues with Jayco than with any other brand.

Good luck and happy camping!
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

We recently purchased a Baja model earlier this year for some of the same reasons it is appealing to you. I did see many of the same concerns you've noted regarding the front window and side-mounted AC units. I believe that the seal around the front windows has been improved over the earlier models as has the installation of the side-mounted AC. In my 195RB the AC is between the cupboard above the sink and the left front window so less of an issue. However, when I'm leveling the trailer and I think we may be using the AC I'll lift the right side with either a 1/2" piece of plywood or a regular leveling block - just enough to ensure that any condensation from the AC will drain to the outside instead of pooling in the drip pan.

I agree with The Meeker - sooner or later you'll have an issue to deal with. I'm happy with the quality of the Jay Flight SLX and the Baja package. We've had a couple of minor issues that have been addressed promptly by our dealer under warranty. Overall though we are quite pleased with the trailer.

I think we had 4 or 5 different trailers on our short list - but the Baja ended up being the one we felt like had the quality and features we needed. Given your description of intended use it sounds like a really good fit for you as well.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you ultimately decide to get.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Just to throw in my $0.02, we have a 2015 184BH (not the BAJA). We have not had any issue with water leakage at all. The only thing we have found is a problem others have had with the side mounted A/C, where is can suck out the air either around the fridge and/or from the inside of the fridge, so the fridge will have trouble staying cold. We have Maxxair vent covers installed, and leave the vents open all the time, which solves the A/C-fridge issue. The only other thing I'm struggling with is keeping the fridge cold on propane while traveling, when the sun is on the fridge side. I have an external vent fan installed, but the fridge still struggles.

Overall we love this camper.

Jeff
jkorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

We have owned a SLX Baja 145Rb for 2 years. We have used it for a total of about 40-50 nights. Most use has been in improved camp sites, but we have also taken it out on some rough back roads- (not really 4x4 trails). On our first campground trip the fridge would not work on LP gas, so back to dealer for a new thermocouple for fridge & the only trip to the dealer for warranty work. On one rough dirt road the front passenger side window "slipped down" in it's opening. I used to work in the mobile home industry so I knew how to fix it. I had to loosen the interior frame screws and re-position the window in the wall opening and reseal it. Also I found that the "wire nuts" inside the front 12volt connection box were loose, this box is were the Battery, TT, & TV are ultimately tied together). We have not had condensation leaks on the AC. I added sealant around all the window frames to avoid leak issues. For price, features, design, and weight it was the right unit for us.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

This is great insight and very appreciated to all of you who have responded. I am a little apprehensive to switch from a truck camper to travel trailer, so I want to make a good informed decision. Keep'em coming!
Gearhoarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, jayco 184, leaks, slx, water leak