Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Installing bedroom TV question.

Greetings,
I am going to install a bracket for a tv in my bedroom shortly. The sticker that they have placed on the cabinet wall seems like it wasn't chosen for any reason other than it was next to the connections. What I mean to say is that there doesn't seem to be a backer plate behind the quarter inch paneling. A few inches above the sticker I can feel more support where the cabinet shelf is. I'm just wondering if they fed the wires from the top and thereby have the sticker where it is.

What are your thoughts. I'm thinking that I can travel with the tv safely tucked under the bed and hang tv when I'm setting up. Just not sure if I want to take the effort to open the inside of the cabinet wall and secure it better. Do guys/gals travel with your tv in place? Thanks in advance.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

I noticed that about the sticker in mine, seems like it is a "general" location.....
I do not have a TV in my Jayco, but, I talked with a salesman about one in an RV.
He said that taking it down would be wise, either wrap it on a blanket and place it on the bed or put it in the original box.
Also, some TVs cannot be laid flat, on their back or screen, but, must be transported upright, as they would be viewed.
I would make sure that the bracket you purchase would make it easy to take the TV off of the wall.
It may seem like a chore to take it down, but, it would be cheaper to take it down than buy a new one and it's not like it is going to be a 40+" TV, right???

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
Hi Murphie,
I felt the same. I bolted all the way through using 1" washers on the opposite wall. I too take the TV down while traveling (wrap it in the bed linens).
Jim
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

I wanted a small tv for the news etc., my wife has put the kibosh on this. I do go camping to get away from this crap, the cell is bad enough!

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. The bracket I bought is able to unhook from the wall so I can keep it attached to the Tv. I am not a big tv watcher but we enjoy watching some cooking shows. It's fun trying to replicate a meal that i've seen on America's Test Kitchen. They make a number of BBQ recipes and there is no better time to check this stuff out, when you have all the time in the world.

It's too bad they didn't take the time to glue in a backer plate or something to have the screws to bite into, but not a big deal. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing something and with your help I wasn't. Thanks again
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #6

Well I got the tv installed today. I was wrong about Jayco not taking the time to put a board where the sticker was. They had what felt like a quarter inch piece of hard board between the two outside pieces of paneling. It seemed to be floating in there, probably going to the floor. My top screw secured into a solid piece of the cabinet frame and the lower one into this hard board. I feel it is secure enough to leave the tv up but it is also easy to take the bracket off the wall. So there you have it.

We will be going out to Cultus Lake for ten days then down to Levenworth for about the same, north to Christina Lake for another week and than back home to the coast. I am looking forward to our first major trip in our new trailer. I know you have a heat wave going on at the other side of our countries. I just hope we get some summer weather here in the west. It has been overcast but not a lot of warm summer weather as of yet, at least not near Vancouver.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #7

I redneck engineered mine yesterday. My camper doesn't have a reinforced backer plate area, so I put a small piece of 2x4 inside the cabinet opposite the TV and ran the lag bolts through the wall and into the 2x4 behind it. I lost a few sqaure inches of cabinet space but I think I'll get by. I know the TV is secure when hung up, but I'll pull it down for travel.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote