Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Insurance 'hail'

Last summer our 2015 27RLS Jay Flight that we own (not financed), received extensive hail damage. Nothing broken, but the aluminum panels sustained lots of hits from small diameter, high-speed, hail: Virtaully every panel on the right side has damage, the rear (under the large rear window) has many panels damaged, and the left side and front have a few damaged panels.

I'd like to keep this 'generic' and brief, so let's just say the insurance company has sent us a check for less than half of the estimated repairs. Further, they have stated they will NOT give US anything additional on this claim. However, if we have our trailer repaired, they will pay a repair facility the additional amount.

This is new territory for us. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

When my previous trailer got damaged my insurance company offered me a "cosmetic settlement" of @ 70% of the cost to repair.. They do it to save $. I knew I was going to be trading it in for a bigger trailer so I declined and got it fixed cuz I would loose $ on trade in value..
So you have to ask yourself the question, can you live with the damage for the amount they gave you ? Or do you plan on trading up/ down and risk loosing $ on trade in?
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Sounds like a great offer to me. If you plan on keeping the unit, and want to get it fixed, looks like they are offering to pay the total cost! Don't see how you can get a better deal than that! I would get that in writing however!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #4

Probably trying to make sure you fix the trailer. I'm sure there are situations where the insurance company wrote the check to the owner for the total estimate and the owner decided to do something else with the money. If you plan on fixing the trailer, looks like a decent deal to me.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

I've been hearing about settlements like this. It could be a win-win for both sides if you choose to take the money and run. Either way they are offering you an out by paying to have the entire cost covered at a repair facility. As said above, it may depend on how long you plan to keep it and if you're willing to live with it's appearance.

Also, if you do chose the check you will likely forfeit any future claims for the same type of damage. Additionally if there is a total loss declared for some reason your value will be lower based on the unpaired damage.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Update:

The RV dealer's estimate and insurance company's (adjuster) are still about $6,000 dollars apart on the cost to repair the damage. (The adjuster's estimate is lower than the dealer's.)

The insurance company wants the RV dealer to begin repairs, before the insurance company agrees to the total amount of the damage, using the money the insurance company has sent to me. Then the dealer will be reimbursed for their expenses for the additional parts and labor.

The RV dealer wants the insurance company adjuster re-examine the trailer so there is an agreement on the total damage before any repairs begin. The adjuster is willing, but is waiting for the insurance company's OK to make the 200 mile round trip.

Until the RV dealer and insurance company can agree on the extent of the damage and cost to repair, I'll be in 'Insurance Hail'.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Just had this happen to me. Once the insurance adjuster talked to the repair facility, Insurance company finally came around and sent me a check payable to me and repair facility. Adjuster said the insurance company wants to make sure the unit is fixed by a reputable repair facility.....Good luck and keep hammering the insurance company, took me 6 months of refusing to settle.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielro View Post
Just had this happen to me. Once the insurance adjuster talked to the repair facility, Insurance company finally came around and sent me a check payable to me and repair facility. Adjuster said the insurance company wants to make sure the unit is fixed by a reputable repair facility.....Good luck and keep hammering the insurance company, took me 6 months of refusing to settle.
Thanks. I'll keep refusing at least until the RV dealer and insurance company agree on the damage to the trailer. Currently, the adjuster's estimate is roughly half of the RV dealer's estimate.

It seems bizarre to me, and to the RV dealer, that the insurance company doesn't seem to care to have an agreement on the estimated total cost before repairs begin. They seem to be asking us to trust them to pay whatever amount the RV dealer bills them once the repairs are completed. Seems like an odd way to do business.