We are looking to get insurance for our new 5er we pick up soon and we're wondering if anyone has any advice for what we should make sure is covered or questions we should ask? We have State Farm and our homeowners will carry over to the 5er. I've noticed some people in the forum stating that is not good. Why?
The following is what our agent has told us so far and my questions back to them are in red.
1. 1) Liability extends to the 2017 Jayco from the vehicle towing it. For example, the 2008 Ford pickup is towing the Jayco and something breaks loose causing the Jayco to jackknife….liability coverage from the 2008 Ford extends to any damage or injury caused by the Jayco. There isn’t a deductible on liability coverage.
2. 2) Liability from your homeowners policy extends to any guest injury that may occur involving the Jayco while it is parked at your residence, on vacant land or on a rented camping site.
What if we are parked at a friends house to camp for a few days or a Walmart parking lot to overnight?
3. 3) Your Personal Liability Umbrella also extends liability coverage to the 2017 Jayco regardless of whether the liability claim is from a vehicle or while parked.
4. 4) Your homeowners policy extends personal property coverage to all personal items in the Jayco that were not originally attached to or part of the Jayco…furniture, clothing, dishes….etc. The coverage is the same replacement cost as your homeowners policy provides and also carries the same $1000 deductible and covers the same perils such as fire, theft, vandalism, lightning etc . For example, lightning strike the Jayco causing a fire..the Jayco policy with whichever deductible you choose covers the Jayco and all items that came with it but all other personal items are subject to the homeowners policy and its deductible.
5. 5) Your Jayco policy provides physical damage coverage for a multitude of things including fire, theft, vandalism, fallen trees, hail/thunderstorm, sudden expulsion of water etc.. Your deductible and premium choices are:
What does "sudden expulsion of water" mean? What if the pipes under the kitchen faucet leak and we don't find it for days and there's damage or the ceiling vent/fan in the bathroom leaks and there's water everywhere? Is that covered? What about a flood? We've read on camping forums of floods coming through and wiping out people's campers. Is that covered?
1) Is there any kind of roadside assistance on our truck? Will there be any for the Jayco? If so, is towing included? What if the truck breaks down and needs to be towed, will there be towing for the Jayco also so we wouldn't have to just leave it alongside the road?
I haven't sent my questions back to them yet. I'll wait to see if any of you have further things I should add. Thank you!