Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Insurance- Which companies are best?

Which companies are the best? Also does anyone have coverage through Good Sam which is provided by GMAC? If so, who has dealt with them with claims including total losses and how was the process? I called and the quote I got for my 5th wheel is a lot less than what I pay with State Farm and much better coverage IMO. So I had them quote my TV and the rates were cheaper on it too. Any responses will be appreciated.
LA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #2

I don't know anything about Good Sam, but I can relay our experience. We are with Progressive. We had all insurance through State Farm for many years, and just last month switched everything due to SF's cost, especially on our homeowners'. We ended up getting more insurance and a lower premium with good companies. Win/win. (Full disclosure - one of the subsidiaries of my company is an insurance agency, so I was lucky to know my agent personally and know she was looking hard for good coverage for me)

The annual premium is $249 for our camper (though I know premiums are variable depending on the person & vehicle covered), and among other things includes vacation liability, personal effects coverage, roadside assistance and full replacement (no depreciation). I think our deductible is $200. The camper is also covered under our umbrella.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Scott View Post
Which companies are the best? Also does anyone have coverage through Good Sam which is provided by GMAC? If so, who has dealt with them with claims including total losses and how was the process? I called and the quote I got for my 5th wheel is a lot less than what I pay with State Farm and much better coverage IMO. So I had them quote my TV and the rates were cheaper on it too. Any responses will be appreciated.
The one's that pay. Seriuosly though I think that they all pay eventually, but if you give them an out they will take it. As for processing claims and such I have not had the bad luck yet with either TT, TV, car or home so can't claim as to if my companies are quick. I've heard they are so I will take that on friends experiences. I think that if you protect yourself and get a plan that dots the i's and crosses the t's you'll be in a good place with almost all the majors out there on claims. The key is leaving no loopholes for them.

There are numerous threads on this forum going into details on the plans and some have responses with claims processing on each. You want a specific RV policy IMHO not just one that is a rider to the TV. Once you un hook some policies unhook as well and you are not covered as well as you think. I have a policy much like as written above that is specific to my 5'th and also upgrades when being towed to my truck as well as umbrella. You don't need collision in most cases while camped but you might need liability for injuries should they occur at your site.

Another key component is where you store it. That has some bearing on your overall premium too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
You want a specific RV policy IMHO not just one that is a rider to the TV.
This. I was a little overwhelmed by all the policy changes we were making at the time (homeowners, cars, sleds, motorcycle and tt), but I believe that the separate policy is also what will replace my trailer / pay out in the dollar amount that I insured it for no matter when (hopefully never) I put in the claim. It could be 10 years down the road - I'll still get the same dollar amount. No depreciation. I like the liability too, especially now that my kids are older and making friends while camping.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

We have been covered by GMAC through Good Sam for more than 25 years- We have been fulltimers for 13 years- All our losses have been handled without delay or question- Service has always been prompt and friendly- The transition to "fulltimer" coverage was smooth and seamless- We have never inquired of other companies because not many other insurers really have "fulltime" policies- JMHO- DD
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw211 View Post
This. I was a little overwhelmed by all the policy changes we were making at the time (homeowners, cars, sleds, motorcycle and tt), but I believe that the separate policy is also what will replace my trailer / pay out in the dollar amount that I insured it for no matter when (hopefully never) I put in the claim. It could be 10 years down the road - I'll still get the same dollar amount. No depreciation. I like the liability too, especially now that my kids are older and making friends while camping.
You may want to research your Full Replacement a little further? I doubt 10 yrs down the road you get full replacement value. My policy is full replacement for the first 5 model years. So my trailer is 2012, as long as a new 2012-2017 TT can be purchased that is what I get, after that it's market value less any deductible.

What you describe sounds way too good to be true, at 10 years you could accidentally side swipe a tree and get a new camper?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
You may want to research your Full Replacement a little further? I doubt 10 yrs down the road you get full replacement value. My policy is full replacement for the first 5 model years. So my trailer is 2012, as long as a new 2012-2017 TT can be purchased that is what I get, after that it's market value less any deductible.

What you describe sounds way too good to be true, at 10 years you could accidentally side swipe a tree and get a new camper?

I have Total Loss Replacement at Purchase Price. The value (in my case, $20k) represents the purchase price of the new vehicle, including all the permanently attached equipment. Direct from my policy: "It can not be reduced while this coverage is in effect on this vehicle".

There are other loss options, being Agreed Value and Actual Cash Value that carry a lower premium. We did not choose those options. So yes, I do pay a higher premium to get the exact dollar amount insured, not market value.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
I have Total Loss Replacement at Purchase Price. The value (in my case, $20k) represents the purchase price of the new vehicle, including all the permanently attached equipment. Direct from my policy: "It can not be reduced while this coverage is in effect on this vehicle".

There are other loss options, being Agreed Value and Actual Cash Value that carry a lower premium. We did not choose those options. So yes, I do pay a higher premium to get the exact dollar amount insured, not market value.
Total Loss Replacement – provides you with a new, comparably-equipped RV if your RV is totaled within its first four model years. When the RV is in the fifth through seventh model years, the settlement is the higher of the actual cash value at the time of loss or the original documented purchase price. After the seventh model year, the settlement is on an actual cash value basis.

This is what I have in coverage. I wanted it for the first 4 years while the actual market value vs purchase price were very far apart due to depreciation being accelerated on the front end. Similar to above, but not exactly.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:

That is a great deal, if you can keep the policy in force?

My policy is a little different, I don't get the purchase price back but rather in the event of a total loss I get my 2012 TT replaced at the current model year through model year 2017. Basically it's like a type of GAP coverage. If by chance my model is no longer available I get the comparable replacement model. Therefore if I paid "X" for my unit in 2011 and in 2017 it costs "2X" that is what I get. If I keep the policy after 2017 model years are gone, I'll get "Agreed Value"

On your policy Is there a guarantee that the policy is "evergreen" assuming you make the payments, or can they choose not to renew when the risk is to high for them? Both my dad and brother are in the commerical insurance business, Dad is a principle in a insurance company and brother owns a brokerage. Granted they aren't experts in Personal Lines, but they have never heard of a policy that offers the coverage you describe in perpetuity. I'll be calling Progressive to see what they offer in Califonia.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #10

I would have to ask my agent. Honestly, I don't plan on keeping it past 10 years anyhow. When the kids go to college, that's when we graduate to the 5'er! We are about as vanilla, low risk as you can possibly get, from what I understand though. She said we were a dream to insure. The above was typed verbatim from my policy, btw.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Ask a lot of questions; think of possible scenarios and directly ask those questions. For example; a coworker HAD RV specific insurance on their last TT. This spring it was caught in a flood at the CG. Their insurance company denied reimbursement on the TT as it had RV insurance and did not have a flood rider. At the time she still owed $27K on the TT.

I keep all my insurance with one company (State Farm), and have been very happy with them. The TT is covered under their automotive underwriter’s branch. I am fully covered as long as I keep comprehensive on the TT. I also have an additional Umbrella Policy. IF I would insure one of my classic cars, trailers or my house with another company my umbrella policy would not cover those items.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Something we all need to always remember about insurance...

1) They are in business to make a profit.
2) Agents, Brokers and/or Sales Representatives; who ever we buy insurance from, has a fudicary responsibilty to the the insurance company not to the insured.

The trick is to find an agent/company who can properly help you indentify your risk and provide the appropriate policy to insure against the risk. I am always very wary against agents/brokers that focus exclusively on cost reduction to win a new customer.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

"For example; a coworker HAD RV specific insurance on their last TT. This spring it was caught in a flood at the CG. Their insurance company denied reimbursement on the TT as it had RV insurance and did not have a flood rider."

Curious, was it on a seasonal campsite or in a traditional nightly fee campground? I have heard with Seasonal Setups that changes all the insurance requirements.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses! All my insurance is with State Farm and I have a specific policy for the 5th wheel. I have always been happy with them but received an invitation for a quote from Good Sam a couple of months after I joined. Knowing about Good Sam, how long they have been around plus specializing in RVs, I called for a quote. In their policy, 1st-5th year they replace camper with comparable camper for a total loss. 6th year and after they pay you what you paid on the bill of sale. Policy also comes with $3,000 in content coverage and $25,000 in vacation liability insurance in case someone gets hurt at the camp site. There price is less than half with better coverage. Adding the TV saves another 10% with a little better coverage on it and the policy saves me almost $900 a year compared to State Farm.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Clubhouse, yes they are seasonal. She stated their insurance company changed their policy about 2 years ago without their permission (not sure I believe this) to reduce their costs. Knowing my coworker she was only looking for the lowest insurance cost possible, without looking at the possible consequences.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Scott View Post
Thanks for the responses! All my insurance is with State Farm and I have a specific policy for the 5th wheel. I have always been happy with them but received an invitation for a quote from Good Sam a couple of months after I joined. Knowing about Good Sam, how long they have been around plus specializing in RVs, I called for a quote. In their policy, 1st-5th year they replace camper with comparable camper for a total loss. 6th year and after they pay you what you paid on the bill of sale. Policy also comes with $3,000 in content coverage and $25,000 in vacation liability insurance in case someone gets hurt at the camp site. There price is less than half with better coverage. Adding the TV saves another 10% with a little better coverage on it and the policy saves me almost $900 a year compared to State Farm.
Sounds like a better deal than what you have now, $900 is a lot of fuel. Be careful though that your other policies don't increase if you begin to loose multi-car/policy discounts when you move something. Mighty be time for you too take a closer look at all of your policies. All of my insurance is with Allied Insurance, a Nation Wide company. Not available in every state, they are a particularly picky/risk adverse company. We have been very happy with them, although no major claims on any of our policies to date.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Sounds like a better deal than what you have now, $900 is a lot of fuel. Be careful though that your other policies don't increase if you begin to loose multi-car/policy discounts when you move something. Mighty be time for you too take a closer look at all of your policies. All of my insurance is with Allied Insurance, a Nation Wide company. Not available in every state, they are a particularly picky/risk adverse company. We have been very happy with them, although no major claims on any of our policies to date.
Thanks, I will still have two other vehicles insured at State Farm so I will still have the multi discount. Will be checking on moving all my vehicles through Good Sam.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #18

Good Sam GMAC is what we have and am happy.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #19

We had Good Sam / GMAC Fulltimers coverage but at this years renewal they raised their price about 30% so I went shopping to see if I could do better.

Wound up going with Progressive Fulltimers Coverage, about the same cost the Good Sam / GMAC had been before the last renewal quote.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote