Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Is anyone else unimpressed by semi-truck drivers?

Since I've been towing a TT and more aware of them, I'm convinced they are out to kill us.
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

And no offense intended to the semi drivers here.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

I suspect the truckers feel the same way about 'lesser' motor vehicles as they zip in front of them just to make an immediate exit.

Vehicle manners have been on a long decline.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #4

Actually, I have noticed many semi-truck drivers being considerate, at least in my experience.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #5

Many differences between those of us who are towing TT's, 5ers, or driving MH's. While many of the principles such as making wide turns, being hampered by steep upgrades and downgrades, passing vehicles, having people cut us off etc, are the same there are also some very big differences. We are towing primarily for fun and recreation. They are working. We have four brakes on our TV's and many have brakes on our TT's. Many of the big semi's do not have brakes on the front wheels. Normally, our loads rarely ever meet or exceed 20,000 pounds with both the TT and TV. They may have that much weight on one axle, often times their loads hit 40, 50k and higher. Often times their tractor trailer rig is longer than we deal with, yet they have to maneuver through the same traffic and turns we do. Get that much weight traveling 65 MPH and add in that you are on the clock both by the company your hauling for and restricted to the number of hours you can put on the road at any given day by regulations, you tend to be focused on your job. The driving test for a CDL is a lot more involved than most of us ever deal with and they are usually allowed to excuse of "not knowing" the laws and regulations from one state to the next.
I know they are not out to kill us.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Some T drivers are bad and beyond annoying. Most are good and can be your friend in many cases. If you drive with them in mind, you may find they will respond in kind. Good habits are 1] Blink you lites when a truck passes you to signal they're clear and can safely merge, 2] Coming to a long grade up, get into the right lane so you don't inhibit their progress. Heavy loaded trucks need to get up a head of speed to make the climb easier. 3] Don't tailgate them and 4] after a pass, don't merge until safely ahead [watch for a lite blink]

A couple of the above will almost always be reciprocated. These guys have radios so pissing one of them off can trigger problems for you ahead. I've found that being respectful of professional drivers will get you down the road with fewer issues with truckers.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
Since I've been towing a TT and more aware of them, I'm convinced they are out to kill us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
And no offense intended to the semi drivers here.

I don't see how you reconcile your first post from your second.
It is like calling someone stupid, and then saying "no offense intended."
You make a generalization, which, in my opinion is FAR from being true or supportable by facts, and then you exclude people on the forum that may be drivers...makes a lot of sense?

I find most truck drivers are professional. Of course there are some jerks. There are in any group of people. I would venture to say that professional drivers have much more to complain about with how RVers drive and put professional drivers in harms way than vice versa.

And how serious about safety is someone who calls themself "dangerdave"?
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #8

You missed the tongue in cheek reference. Obviously they aren't trying to kill us.

And I should have said "no offense to the safe and professional semi drivers here. The rest can take offense."

But in keeping with the highest standards of political correctness and today's warm and fuzzy feelings-based communications..... I apologize on every level for having offended you or anyone else that may read this.... or even hear about someone who read it..... or who doesn't even read it. I was wrong to say anything and will refrain from any future such postings.

You have of course offended me (not really) with the stab at my username, but I will cry quietly and not make a big deal about it.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

I tend to stay out of conversations that talk about how "EVERY motorcycle rider is a moron, every truck driver sucks, every person pulling a TT should get off the road" because, guess what, I do all 3.

I was going to say more, then I almost deleted this post because I know nothing I say will change other people's opinions. Even when they are wrong.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

Yeah as I was typing the original post I was wondering how many people would jump on it like I was trampling the flag or something.

I was half kidding around, but really do need to remember you can't really say anything these days. This board is very valuable, so I need to just stick to business.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #11

There are some truly great truck drivers on the road!!! BUT.... As with any group, there are some true ******* at the same time!!!

I see a fair amount that will drive right up the rear of a vehicle (mine included when on the clock DOING THE TRUCK SPEED LIMIT IN THE RIGHT/MIDDLE LANE) that they are so close you can see the type of bugs on the grille of the truck!!! Then cut back over with barely being ahead of you, some not even signalling!!!

To me it means no difference if someone is "on the clock" or not. We all have equal rights to the road, so you are not any more imortant than anyone else on the road! Drive with respect and be safe!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

I thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. Perhaps a chance for those who don't fully understand to learn something. As for people being offended... Well, to put it bluntly, there is nothing that can be done, or said, or shown that will offend anyone. Unless, THEY choose to be offended.

Now lets see... anyone got an ISIS flag I can trample and burn?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #13

As I said, I stay out of topics like these usually, not because I'm offended (which I'm not) but because it's usually anecdotal evidence.

Trust me, I see a lot of terrible drivers no matter how many wheels they have under them.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobedoob View Post
As I said, I stay out of topics like these usually, not because I'm offended (which I'm not) but because it's usually anecdotal evidence.

Trust me, I see a lot of terrible drivers no matter how many wheels they have under them.
I agree.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #15

Tractor Trailers are not a bother to me. People who are driving any kind of vehicle who are texting, in a hurry and therefore cutting in an out of traffic, or generally driving unsafely bother me!
Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Site Team

FPM's observation:

The more expensive the car, the more likely they will NOT use a turn signal. Truckers, on the other hand, rarely fail to signal.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #17

I have seen FAR less semi drivers on cell phones or putting on their make-up while driving Personally I would rather drive among the semi drivers than the inconsiderate drivers in small cars that have to jump in front of you because they just can't stand to have someone in front of them. And then come from the far left lane to get off at the exit.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #18

Now that we have a TT rather than a pop-up, it seems like the truckers are more courteous. Just recently, for instance, we had a trucker we were passing flash his lights to let us know it was safe to come back in front of him. :-) The only problem we have is that the air the big trucks push "woggles" us a bit as they come up behind to pass us. That's not the truckers' fault; we'll get used to it.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #19

What actually started this thread was coming down a straight 6% grade next to a semi truck. We both came upon a tanker truck in his lane and I kept on figuring the semi next to me would slow down.

As we approached the tanker, I realized this guy was not slowing down at all - like he didn't even see him! At the last second I was sure he was going to rear end the tanker and take us all out. He suddenly SLAMS on his brakes and his rig starts dancing around all over the place right next to us.

Wife screams, I crap my pants and we just squirt out ahead of the whole thing. The semi some how (seriously no idea how) manages not to jackknife and avoids the tanker (who was furious).
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Site Team

There are all kinds of drivers both professional and recreational. Seems like that experience is not enough to paint all truckers as out to get you.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote