Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Is Good Sam Worth It?

Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I tried searching but didn't come across it.

Anyhow, I am wondering about the value of buying a membership in Good Sam -- especially in Canada where most of our RVing will take place.

Thoughts from those who have been or are currently members?
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with the cost for Good Sam, but with the KOA membership I just did the math. The membership at KOA gives a 10% discount off the standard rate. In order to break even we'd need to spend $240 in retail camp spots before we'd get back the $24 membership fee. Parks charge various rates, but if each night is $35 in fees, we'd have to camp in a KOA on 7 nights to break even and every night after that we are actually getting a discount. Make sense? Do the math with your Good Sam membership and determine if you think you'll actually be using a Good Sam often enough to make it worth your while.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #3

I signed up for Good Sam (shortly after I got my Eagle) for the 10% Camping World store savings. I bought my waste water tote, jack pads/leveling blocks, EMS/voltage regulator and 50/30 dog bone, and was able to re-coup my membership fee on the first shopping trip. The discount on camping is only for your first night's stay. And since private campgrounds (including GS) are generally double the price of a state park, I've never stayed at one. Since I'll be full-timing as soon as my house sells, that may change in the near future. We'll just have to see. Plus, CW is offering $35 installs on all accessories purchased through CW stores or CW on line for members only. And I hear their insurance/towing services are pretty good, too.

The long & short of it is that if you have GS campgrounds where you'll be camping, and/or need to buy a lot of stuff either at campingworld.com or at a CW store, then membership will probably save you money. If, on the other hand, you're already stocked with "stuff", and you don't use private CG's . . . not so much.

Happy camping!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #4

Good Sam gives you discounts at some campgrounds and also gives you discounts at Camping World. You can also get discounts on fuel. We find our use for supplies and camping pretty much pays for our membership.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Site Team

We are life members. Not sure how it would work in your country.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

For me, the GS annual fee is worth it; I really enjoy browsing through the CW store.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

We joined when we first started camping in 2001. We are now life members and enjoy the discount at both campgrounds and CW store. I shop around and do not buy everything there but do find good prices especially when stuff is on sale. We also belong to a local GS camping club chapter and enjoy our camping friends very much. To us it has been worth it but only you will be able to make that determination.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We are life members. Not sure how it would work in your country.
We have been members for almost 10 years and upgraded to Life Time Membership a couple of years ago because of a special offer on the price. We camp about 45 to 60 days a season. We are usually at a GS or KOA (also members of). So the discount for both pays off. This season we will exceed 60 days, heading west across Canada. When we are in the U.S. We shop at Camping World for sale items. It isn't worth paying the shipping, it usually doubles the cost.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Personally, I think Camping World with the GS discount winds up being the price that everyone else charges. For example, we bought our Honda Generator at Northern Tool for less than the discounted CW price. It was not on sale there, just the normal price.

If CW were the only store around and we stayed at GS parks more often, it might pay off, but as it is, I feel we come out behind because they don't even send the magazine anymore.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #10

What about good sams roadside assistance? Is it worth it?
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #11

I think it is. I have had it when CW was not associated with Good Sam. Have had the occasion to use it twice and both times prompt response with individuals that are familiar with RVs and their unique differences.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #12

Just about every retailer tries to sign you up for a store card offering discounts, special deals, and perks. They don't do this because they like you or because they want to do you a favor. They push these cards [accounts] to entise you to buy their stuff. Thats why they are also called loyality cards. Like a previous poster said, the discounts at CW may get you closer to the price you can find the same product elsewhere.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #13

We are members of Good Sam and the GS camping group. Well worth it and some great camping trips with members
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #14

I don't know about the Good Sam club membership itself, but we just signed up for Good Sam Roadside assistance. Figured for the $79, it's good peace of mind in case we have a roadside emergency, especially since we're taking a 900-mile trip to Mt Rushmore in 2 weeks.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #15

I have had GS memberships in the past when it was cost effective to get one. It's possible to make up the membership fee on just one trip if your comparing CW price to the CDN price of RV related things. I agree with others who say you can get as good a deal elsewhere. Aside from RV dealers, i have yet to see a store in Canada that is similar to CW.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
What about good sams roadside assistance? Is it worth it?
Read carefully what exactly it is that they do for you. Seemed to me like if you got a flat, they would come out and change the tire with your spare if you have one.

Check your RV insurance policy and see what they cover for emergency towing. You may find you are just duplicating something you already have. Call the state police and ask them to send the nearest licensed tow company. In many states, if they tow you to their repair facility and perform the repair, the tow is free. If they tow you somewhere else, you pay the tow, but your insurance will usually cover it.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote