Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Is there a better way to pay for fuel?

If you have a Freightliner chassis you need to use the truck pumps to fill both tanks. Most of the truck pumps don't have card readers, so you either need to prepay, which means you have to guess at how much fuel you'll need, or they require you to leave your credit card with them - which I don't like to do. I have already had card fraud from doing this. Is there a better way to pay for fuel at truck pumps?
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

With chickens and goats That's how it is all the time here in CA. If the pump doesn't have a card reader you have to go inside, guess how much it will take, go back out and pump, then go back inside to get the change.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

I walk into the store, give them cash for more that I would need, go back out pump fuel then walk back in for change. Not as convienent as a card, but that is choice we conciously made, we are a cash only family and this way I always get the cash price.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:56 AM   #4

Have you considered something like a Google Card? It's a credit/debit card that you can fund (almost immediately... like 1-2 mins) from your bank account. If you lose it, you can kill it immediately from an app on your phone and you'll see every transaction come across in an email or text message almost immediately. I like using it when we travel or dine out. It's really handy being able to see exactly what your balance is at all times from the phone app.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:17 AM   #5

All you have to do is tell them an amount higher than you know you need. Your card will only be billed for what you actually use. No need to leave your card. That's not hard. How big are your tanks? Multiple that by the price of fuel and tell them that. Surely u don't wait until your empty so it will be more than you need...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
All you have to do is tell them an amount higher than you know you need. Your card will only be billed for what you actually use. No need to leave your card. That's not hard. How big are your tanks? Multiple that by the price of fuel and tell them that. Surely u don't wait until your empty so it will be more than you need...
That's what I do.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Team

We go inside if the pump won't take a card. We leave our drivers license , they turn the pump on and we go back inside to complete the transaction. The card is never out of my sight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #8

I would never leave cash with a cashier in a truck stop or any other convenience store when refueling. What are you going to do if the cashier says you never left any money or says the amount you left is way less than you actually left?

I like the idea of the credit card or just telling them an amount of fuel that is more than you think you will actually need.

I drove a tour bus for years and was able to use a credit card at virtually every refueling station that I stopped in. Can't recall any of them that didn't have the card readers.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
I would never leave cash with a cashier in a truck stop or any other convenience store when refueling. What are you going to do if the cashier says you never left any money or says the amount you left is way less than you actually left?

Make a big scene, ask for the manager, and call the cops.

I leave cash with clerks all the time. I've never had an issue.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:

I like the idea of the credit card or just telling them an amount of fuel that is more than you think you will actually need.
You sound as if most people are out to steal from you. I have never had this problem, I and I do think most people are honest civil folks. Sure there are some bad ones, but do you think those people have actually taken the time to go get a job in a gas station so they can steal the <$20 change owed after I fuel up.

Plus if a bad seed is there to steal a credit card # is a much bigger score than a couple dollars cash. Plus you will be down the road before its ever figured out.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

I have been searching the internet trying to find a Google Card but so far have come up with nothing. Do you have a website I could go to get information?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
I have been searching the internet trying to find a Google Card but so far have come up with nothing. Do you have a website I could go to get information?
I think he was reffering to Google Wallet. There is a Google Wallet Card available. I don't have any knowledge about other than its a compliment to the Google Wallet Service.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:

Happened to me a couple years ago in Banning! I gave the lady 40 and she she said I only gave her 2 tens.
thief -- the next them they were closed down -- Karma's a B#$^&!

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #14

Yes Clubhouse, you're right. It's called a Google Wallet card. Works just like a debit/credit card but if it gets stolen or lost, you're not out lots of money... Only what's present on the card, if that. Like I said, if you lose it, you can immediately lock the card. I really like it because it's very flexible but has built-in protection and near real time transaction notifications.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Yes Clubhouse, you're right. It's called a Google Wallet card. Works just like a debit/credit card but if it gets stolen or lost, you're not out lots of money... Only what's present on the card, if that. Like I said, if you lose it, you can immediately lock the card. I really like it because it's very flexible but has built-in protection and near real time transaction notifications.
Hey, thanks for this tip. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for... I like the idea of a card that you can easily load with funds and easily lock if needed...
Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #16

You bet - PM me with questions you have about it Grandpa.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Do you go back in for a receipt, or just trust that your card will be charged for actual fuel pumped?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #18

Get a Pilot/Flying J RV rewards card it lets you start the pump, then you go in and pay.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Get a Pilot/Flying J RV rewards card it lets you start the pump, then you go in and pay.
I'll check into that too. Sounds like a good idea. I ordered a Google Wallet card and plan to give that a try. It sounds like the Google Wallet card can be used anywhere they accept MasterCard Debit.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Do you go back in for a receipt, or just trust that your card will be charged for actual fuel pumped?

No u get receipt from the pump. I also get 2% cash back on all purchases...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, paying