Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Is this normal? toilet/black tank

took our 23bcamper hybrid put this weekend after a major issue with the toilet being clogged after we bought it used. when I dumped it this morning, boatloads of toilet paper kept coming out after I continued to pour gallons of clean water down the toilet. I don't feel like it was even all the way cleaned out... whew. I look into the toilet there is still yucky water in the pipe. is there supposed to be water down there? tank monitor still reads 1/3 full... I bought a warranty with this camper and am bringing it back tonight... it just doesn't seem right to.me....
Campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you using a toilet paper that breaks down fast in water, or is "septic tank safe"? How much water did you have in the tank before you dumped it? The consensus seems to be the more water in the tank prior to dumping the better. I would keep backflushing the tank until clear water comes out. I use one of these to backflush, some have built in flushing systems.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

You should be using some brand of rapid dissolving paper. You don't need to buy the expensive CG type - something single ply, like "Scotts Rapid Dissolving" tissue, available at Walmart, will work just as well, and is a lot cheaper. Whatever you do, don't use ordinary 2 or more ply household paper. Usually, when your tank monitor reads 1/3 full, that is the lowest (emptiest) reading you will get. Sometimes, due to inaccurate monitors, you might even get 2/3 or more reading, even when you KNOW it's empty. And like Crabman said, just keep on flushing with clean water until it runs out clear. If you can still see crud down the hole after it runs clear, try putting a 10lb bag of ice cubes down the toilet and a little water, then take the trailer for a few miles of twisty turny roads, whick might help scour out the remaining crud. Be sure to dump as soon as possible after this trip. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

I do use the trailer toilet paper... I do not have a flush king, but do have the back wash system but cannot use it at this camp ground due to their nozzle at the station. I think it isngetting clogged right at the toilet.. the water there is gross even after gallons and gallons of water being dumped down there. when I would fill the bowl with 1/2 of the gallon and flush, just a trickle would dump out, it wouldn't really come out until second half was flushed. we dropped it off back at the dealership tonight for them to deal with it.. I have the extended warranty so they can tinker with it all they want until it is a perfect toilet!
Campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

There may not be anything wrong with your toilet/black water tank. At the dumpstation, dump the black tank, then unhook your sewer hose from the dumpstation. Hold the open end of the sewer hose higher than the black water tank. Put the dumpstation rinsing hose in the sewer hose and "back fill" your toilet. If you have someone there to help you, have them look inside the toilet/black water tank (with the water pump off). They can make sure you don't overfill the black water tank and if they see anything nasty still in the tank. When the black water tank is mosly full turn off the water hose and put the sewer hose back in the dumpstation dump hole. Repeat until you have a clean tank.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

When you get the trailer back from the dealer be sure and have them tell you what they found. That will help avoid future problems. I never leave my black tank valve open until it has quite a bit of waste in it. I will leave the grey open,, but close it a day or so before I figure the black will need dumping so I can flush the waste hose.

Then I backflush with the TT's flush system or the Flush King, sometimes both. I then close off the valve and go inside and dump at least two gallons of clean water down the toilet and add a chemical. I think it's especially important to do that when I'm heading home to park it for a while.

I don't worry about the gauge. Both of our TTs have shown 3/4 or full from Day 2. And I'm in the minority here because I like the same 2-ply super soft TP on my tender tush that we use at home.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

I kind of sounds like the last owner was one of those dummies that left the black valve open all the time... and you have the dreaded "Mountain of poop" in your holding tank.. When you get home fill the tank with water.. add some RIDEX and let it sit for as long as you can... RIDEX is a septic tank treatment that really works well to break down the solids and TP.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #8

Bob in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

X 2 on the Flush King.
Bob in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Team

I might also add that using the Flush King repeatedly should only be done if there is no one behind you at the Dump station IMO. I was held up one time 45 minutes by one person who must have filled and flushed 10 times with me waiting behind him. To me that is inconsiderate of others to hold up the DS that long, and I would never dream of doing it. I have flushed after getting home when the DS was busy.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #11

I have the auto tank cleaner in our new Jayco, but that doesn't always get ALL the "Crud" out. We also keep a 5 gal pail and fill that with the shower and dump that all at once a few times and that seems to get the stuck stuff out of the tank. Those big gushers of water really move the stuff. We have a clear extension pipe before the sewer hose so you can tell when it's so called clean.
Hope this helps you as much as it's helped us.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I might also add that using the Flush King repeatedly should only be done if there is no one behind you at the Dump station IMO. I was held up one time 45 minutes by one person who must have filled and flushed 10 times with me waiting behind him. To me that is inconsiderate of others to hold up the DS that long, and I would never dream of doing it. I have flushed after getting home when the DS was busy.
I agree that is a long time to wait, but some people can't flush at home and have to do it at the campground.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #13

When I get home from a camping trip I take my magic hose wand and clean the black tank until I get clear water coming out. Lucky for me I have a sewer cleanout in my front yard so I dump all the goodies directly into my house sewer connection. When done I leave 3-4 gallons in the tank with some Liquid Gold for the next trip. No problems yet.

2012 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L
biester26 is offline   Reply With Quote