Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Red face It finally happened to me

Well, after years of weaving my fiver up and down my tree lined driveway, I finally had my first accident. I was backing the fiver onto the parking pad that runs perpindicular off the windy driveway. After getting a little off kilter I went to do a pull up, and my wife yelled at me to stop. I got out and looked, and saw the top corner of the roof leaning against a tree. My only way out was to back up.

I got the rig parked without any further mishaps, and went up to inspect. I bent the rain gutter pretty good, and stuffed some tree bark into the seal between the rubber roof and the rain gutter. The plastic cover on the awning motor is shattered. I don't see any tears in the rubber roof, and it doesn't look like I damaged anything structural. I'm just hoping this wasn't an expensive lesson on backing at the end of a very long day.
alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #2

That's the thing that still bother me about pulling my 29 foot TT... Once I get the license plate on it I plan on taking down into Riggins, ID where there is a big dirt lot and I can practice backing up and parking it.

Also waiting for the ICE to leave the yard...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

Bummer. Do you guys use walkie-talkies? It sure makes it easier to communicate! Good to hear you guys didn't have worse damage. We actually have a tree branch we have to trim before spring so we don't go through the same thing as you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

Sorry about your damage, but don't feel bad. You're not the only one. I haven't even had my trailer 4 months, and when I was backing it in to my current spot, the side above my holding tank valves kissed the concrete shelter. Didn't do a whole lot of damage, mainly superficial.

But I learned I need to jump out of my truck more often and check the trailer progress (I'm doing this solo).
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

I suggest you go to a large store and practise backing up in their docks. Just don't go in the morning when they get the majority of their deliveries.....larger stores usually have at least 2 docks (Super Walmarts 3 or 4), there's plenty of room to maneuver and most docks have painted lines so you will be able to tell if you are 'off', you don't need to back all the way in, stop before touching the dock, you'll practising backing and judging distance at the same time. After I got my cdl I used to take a 53ft tractor trailer and practise docking it, I would go to different stores as some docks are more challenging than others. It gets easier, in no time you'll be popping that trailer in first time with your eyes closed (not literally..lol) Good Luck
grncrdbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncrdbrit View Post
I suggest you go to a large store and practise backing up in their docks. Just don't go in the morning when they get the majority of their deliveries.....larger stores usually have at least 2 docks (Super Walmarts 3 or 4), there's plenty of room to maneuver and most docks have painted lines so you will be able to tell if you are 'off', you don't need to back all the way in, stop before touching the dock, you'll practising backing and judging distance at the same time. After I got my cdl I used to take a 53ft tractor trailer and practise docking it, I would go to different stores as some docks are more challenging than others. It gets easier, in no time you'll be popping that trailer in first time with your eyes closed (not literally..lol) Good Luck
That sounds like a wonderful idea... But I hate to say it I'm 3.5 hours from a large store with a dock...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
That's the thing that still bother me about pulling my 29 foot TT... Once I get the license plate on it I plan on taking down into Riggins, ID where there is a big dirt lot and I can practice backing up and parking it.

Also waiting for the ICE to leave the yard...
Most highschools have parking lots and are usually empty on the weekends. Fair grounds also are good places to practice.

Mopar I think that ice will be with you for a few more days.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Bummer. Do you guys use walkie-talkies? It sure makes it easier to communicate!
Yeah, we have walkie-talkies. But we rarely use them because by the time I'm about to whack something with the trailer, my wife is screaming so loud to stop that I can hear her crystal clear without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Most highschools have parking lots and are usually empty on the weekends. Fair grounds also are good places to practice.
And most schools also have loading docks that, most likely, are not used on weekends.

I'd be a little hesitent about using a store's loading dock for practice unless it was closed. I know that if it were my son's store and we were open, I'd be asking you to go somewhere else just due to the liability and safety issues it would cause.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post

Mopar I think that ice will be with you for a few more days.

Our high school is so small you can even turn a bus around without backing up 3-4 times. Our rodeo ground are tiny... The whole town of Riggins, ID is about 1 mile long and 1/4 mile wide...

Here is the entire town of Riggins, ID
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Bummer. Do you guys use walkie-talkies? It sure makes it easier to communicate! Good to hear you guys didn't have worse damage. We actually have a tree branch we have to trim before spring so we don't go through the same thing as you
If you use the walkie talkies, just tell the other person that they have to push the switch prior talking............. do I have an expensive story!!!!!!!
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #11

We tried the walkie talkies but found the bluetooth phone in DH truck and me on my cell on speaker phone we get the job done. We have done this 3 times now and it just worked out better, like it was stated, you need to hold the button in to talk. Don't ask me how I know.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
If you use the walkie talkies, just tell the other person that they have to push the switch prior talking............. do I have an expensive story!!!!!!!
LOL! We (as well as several other campers who were lazying around on a warm summer's day) were entertained when a couple pulled into a site near us. Apparently the lady was law enforcement and used to talking on a radio. The DH appeared to be learning. He had the volume cranked up, and you could hear DW's voice consistently (but amazingly patient) reminding DH to click first then talk!
The funny thing was he eventually remembered to click first, but then would forget to release the button when he was done talking ! They worked well as a team otherwise
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #13

The walkies are also GREAT when convoying with a buddy
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #14

I almost hit the basketball hoop on the side of my driveway the FIRST day I took my new Class C home. I drove in watching trees and eves on the house, said I made it home safe and sound with no problems. When I got out, I looked to the side and there was the hoop 2" from the slide awning! Just missed it. Now she sits on her RV pad behind the house. We had 14 trees removed when we built the pad. I am not taking any chances. I did hit my antenna on electric wires a year later and had to have it replaced. oops
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote