Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Jay Flight 238

Been looking at a 2014 Jay Flight on line. Anyone on the forum own one and if so, what are your likes and dislikes. Appears to have a lot more storage than our current Jay Flight FB24. Not ready to do anything just yet but wanting to get a feel for what actual real world experience. Just the 2 of us so don't need more sleeping area. Bath area also appears to be more user friendly. Thanks in advance, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Been looking at a 2014 Jay Flight on line. Anyone on the forum own one and if so, what are your likes and dislikes. Appears to have a lot more storage than our current Jay Flight FB24. Not ready to do anything just yet but wanting to get a feel for what actual real world experience. Just the 2 of us so don't need more sleeping area. Bath area also appears to be more user friendly. Thanks in advance, Dave
I don't have the Jayco, but I have a Starcraft 235fb which appears to have the exact same layout (except the closet and the shower are reversed in ours). Both Jayco and Starcraft are owned by the same company and in 2012 our Starcraft was actually made on the Jayco production line. They are almost identical in all ways. Ours is a 2012, so it doesn't have the most recent conveniences that the newer models do but I don't really want/need/like power everything. Like you there are just two of us. We really like our Starcraft. Also like you, we really like the larger bathroom. We've done a few mods like adding a cabinet just inside the door next to the dinette back.
There is storage under the bed (it lifts up) and pass through storage across the front of the trailer. The wardrobe in the bathroom is pretty large and we actually put plastic drawers in half of it. The rear outside storage is pretty small, but we use it to store hoses, etc.

We also modified the front wardrobes on either side of the bed. They are long and have a rod for hanging clothes. Instead we bought a cloth set of shelves that hand from the rod so we can fold our clothes and put them on the shelves. Since the front of the trailer slopes, there is additional room behind the cloth shelves where we store things that we don't often use or need to access.

Our unit has two 40+ gallon FW tanks and we really like having such a large water supply. I believe the one you are looking at only has one FW tank. After the first year of use, I noticed that the coroplast underbelly was sagging where the tanks were. I pulled it down and saw that although there were 3 steel bars holding each tank, the tanks were sagging considerably between the bars. That meant that we couldn't use a lot of water in the tanks because it was below the FW takeup, also I thought it was unsafe. So I went to the local Mendards (Home Depot type store) and bought some steel bar and added two more supports to each tank. That solved the problem.

We have really enjoyed this camper. It is perfect for the two of us, and can accomodate an adult daughter or two (but not very confortably) on the rare occasion when they decide to come along. Because of its relatively small size, it allows us to get into smaller campsites in State Parks and National Forests, where we do most of our camping.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #3

Dewey02, Thank you so much for replying to my thread and all the insight you have given me. We really like our FB24 but, after camping in it a bit, there are some things that either the Jayco 238 or perhaps a Starcraft like yours I believe could do better. Although our FB24 has a large closet in the bathroom, it is very difficult to access. Also we do not have the closets on each side of the bed. I think using the smaller storage on the rear side for hoses as you have is a great idea. I also like the extra cabinets above the dinette. I have installed an ADA height stool and that would be a must in our next unit. Our knees don't seem to work like they did 50 years ago !!LOL!! We are located very near the center of Missour. If you ever get in our area give me a heads up. Hope to meet you " out on the road" sometime, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote