Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Jay Flight 287BHSW- is Underbelly important?

Looking to buy this Jay Flight 287BHSW this weekend. It's our first RV... we are pretty limited in our options as we are pulling with a SUV (so we have a weight limit) and need double bunks and a shower only (no tub) as my husband is 6'4 and can't stand in the shower tubs. This is a difficult combination to find but we did find it in the Jay Flight 287BHSW. This is the "Stripped Down" version of JAYCO as the sales guy calls it. We are actually ok with that as we don't think we care about having the TV, DVD players, automatic leveler and some of the other bells and whistles that won't be included in this model. The one thing we are a bit nervous about is that it doesn't have the Underbelly. Does anyone have thoughts or advice on a RV that doesn't have this? We want to make sure we aren't selling ourselves short just to save a few dollars up front. Thanks for your help!
kfballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

The insulation package provides insulation in the belly and in the roof. It helps to extend the camping season into the cooler months and reduces the load on the air conditioner(s) in the summer.

Beyond that, some like the fact it may help reduce the chances of bugs or mice getting into the unit, it may reduce some noise infiltration, keeps road crud from building up under the trailer, and some believe it reduces air resistance for better mpg.

We ordered the package strictly to reduce the load on the air conditioner during the warmer months. If it does anything else, that would be a bonus. I'm sure you'll be hearing soon from others and their take on the insulation package.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

The covered underbelly also helps keep road crud, salt, oil, etc from getting onto all your tanks, tank sensors, plumbing, etc. under there.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

I specifically did not order mine with the thermal package. I liked the idea of having the extra insulation, but I did not care for the way the underbelly looked or how it was attached. It also limits the access to all of the components underneath for inspection and maintenance. If you like the layout, go for it.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Got the same trailer, it's bothered me how the slide mechanism was exposed, bought corrugated ABS , double sided foil insulation and closed the entire underbelly, it is much warmer floor as a result, you can have a dealer to close it for you as well, if you decide to go that route , have them to install holding tank heating pads on all tanks before you close it , comes handy when camping in freezing temperatures
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #6

I have not had the thermal package on either of my JayFlights. The first one I was a bit like you, had some concerns I was making a mistake, but then figured I could enclose it myself should I need too. Well I didn't, and it was a non issue for me on my second unit.

We just camped over New Years, night time lows at 25*-28*, coldest we have ever taken this trailer, absolutely no issues with tanks freezing.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Ours is not enclosed and it has been a non-issue so far.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

I think before you jump into a camper that size, the question needs to be asked...What SUV tow vehicle do you have? That camper is rated to 7500 GVW and that is the limit of many 1/2 ton trucks mostly due to the wind resistance.

On the underbelly...I like it being open. We had a loose fresh water tank fitting that leaked onto the ground that I fixed. If we had the underbelly, it would have filled with water before we found the leak.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Ours is enclosed and it might keep mice at bay to some extent and hold the heat better but it is and has been a pain when you have mechanicals to deal with ... you can get to them but it takes some work. .. in the end i still like it being enclosed
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #10

U R good my men. U'll be fine. I agree with clubhouse. Im in Dallas and no issue with 15-29 deg weather n You have a furnace and that puppy works great under cold conditions. Just keep that drip going for the if.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

I bought that trailer late last year. Love it. I haven't seen a problem with the exposed belly camping through the winter here in Texas but that is usually above freezing. We have had it out In the 30s though. The furnace works well.
Cody560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #12

I haven't seen many SUVs that I'd pull that trailer with. Make sure to look at the numbers and don't just go with what the salesman tells you. I've heard them tell me anything just to sell a trailer.
Cody560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #13

Jay Flight 287BHSW- is Underbelly important?

Already posted.... Sorry
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #14

Just a side note - I am 6'4 as well and fit just fine in all of the shower/tub combos. Most models even have a bubble skylight in there too which provides extra headroom.

I also second what other members have said about the tow vehicle for that size of trailer. Unless the SUV is an Excursion or Suburban I would seriously think twice about going for that thing... Otherwise a new tow vehicle will be in your budget in the near future, which could have been money spent on a nicer trailer with all the bells and whistles that's a bit smaller and within the capabilities of your current vehicle.

Just because your tow rating says you can tow it doesn't mean that you should. A lot of guys, including myself, like to stay within 75-80% of the tow ratings to ensure acceptable performance.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #15

Just about to pick up our first TT 287BHSW in a few days. Good to read up on some info and advice.
DirtyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #16

Id be willing to bet your suv wont safely pull the camper.You best look into that whole aspect prior to buying.I did the same thing,bought a TT and had a dodge conversion van that I was told no problem would tow it,and it did...on flat ground!!!!! I had to wind up renting 3/4 ton trucks everytime I went out until this past September I bought a Dodge Ram 2500
Old 05-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
Just about to pick up our first TT 287BHSW in a few days. Good to read up on some info and advice.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your TT.

This forum is great. The site is full of friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful members.

If you haven't already, try the 'search' function. There is a lot of good information from over the years. It's very likely you'll find answers to questions you didn't know you had.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote