Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Jayco 32BHDS

About ready to take the plunge and buy the 32BHDS. The Coachmen 26BH has been outgrown. I realize that I am adding about 6' in over all length and about an extra 1200lbs. I tow with a 2013 2500HD/6.0 gas. how much of a difference will I notice when towing? I was nervous when I first hooked up the Coachmen but have since become comfortable towing it.
Thanks in advance
kickthetires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

We just bought a 32 BHDS ourselves, almost 4 weeks ago already, I think it has been!

We stepped up from a 31' (overall length) Dutchmen, ~7200lbs loaded/ ~920lbs tw. You definitely know the 32 is back there compared to the almost 2k lbs lighter Dutchmen. We travelled to Northern Mi, not huge hills or mountains, but north of West Branch, Mi is a pretty gradual incline. I think I have found it is about a 5.5% grade for comparison. Truck did just fine pulling the grade. Outside temp hit about 70* on the way up, but the hottest the trans ever got was 172* I think it was. BUT.... Having the same tow beast I don't see why you won't be just fine! Just remember the trailer is a little longer when turning or manuvering through tighter situations.

I would highly suggest a 2.5" shank for the hitch if you don't have one. And depending on how you load the trailer, you could possibly see the tw up to 1500lbs. You can see in my signature I went with the Reese Dual Cam system with 1500lb bars and the Reese Titan 2.5" shank.

I have a heavier model 10x10 ez-up, Coleman roadtrip grill, Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove, 2- 9x12 patio mats, 4 camp chairs, 2- aluminum roll top tables (the larger size) in the pass through. Under the bed we have a counter top ice maker, the Jayco bumper mount grill (not sure we are going to keep it, just stuffed it there for now), and I know a couple other things, but can't remember at the moment.

Loaded we are about 9k lbs, with about 1400lbs tw. So far we love the trailer! My wife and I had a w/e only trip without our boys. Though we didn't spend much time at the campground. It was more for just a bed to sleep in. Then we had our big trip of the year just a couple weeks ago. The room and storage is great. Check the mods link in my signature for things I have done so far. I also have a thread in the mods section.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

You will certainly know it's there, at least I did going from a 26bh to 29qbh. However with you truck and decent WD setup it won't be an issue, especially going forward. Backing it was a bit of an adjustments. Relearning when to start the pivot took a few trips to get the hang of.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #4

Your truck will handle the extra load just fine. Just be sure your hitch/sway bar/equalizer bars are up to the additional weight.
When I stepped up from a 264BH to our Starcraft 329BHU, the biggest difference I noticed was the additional space I needed for trailer tail swing. Just keep that and the fact that your turning radius is now bigger in mind and you'll be fine.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #5

Picking up my new 32 BHDS next Thursday. Towing with a Suburban 2500 454 (may need air bags but not sure). Hope she does the job. I was towing a Coleman pop-up until about a week ago.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Forgot to mention if you don't have a wd hitch w/ built in sway control, now is the time to get it with the new 32 BHDS!

Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, Equal-I-Zer 4 Way system to name a few good mid range price wise systems. Blue Ox (newer system) seems to have a good following. Husky Centerline (top model)- read some very good reviews about it, BUT.... You need to be in almost a straight line (truck & trailer) to hook up or unhook. Not a huge deal, but a slight inconvenience.

Top models are the Hensley system and Pro Pride, expensive, but very good.

Regardless which system you choose, as I mentioned I would highly recommend at least 1400 or 1500lb bars due to the higher "dry tongue weight" the 32 has. Add in propane and a battery and you're around 1100lbs tw before loading the trailer with anything else.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

John,

Congrats on the new rig!!!

Check your receiver hitch on the truck to make sure it will handle the tw of the 32 BHDS! You may need a new receiver hitch as well depending on the rating.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
When I bought my 26Coachmen I also bought the WD system. Never installed the sway bar though. Bought the higher rated one so I hope my old system will work on the 32BHDS. Guess the extra length/weight has me a bit nervous. Where I park it when not in use is a bit tight. 26 had no problems. Hoping the same with the 32. Any idea how much more turning radius I will need?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #9

Hard to say just how much more the radius is....

As for your wd hitch, it is suggested trailers this long have integrated sway control, not the side mounted bar system.

What are your wd bars rated for, and what brand system do you have?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #10

Need-a-vacation.
I got the eazlift 48054
TW 1400
MGTW 14000
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #11

That wd hitch will probably work ok for you as long as you don't pack to heavy in the pass through. Otherwise you may be right at the limit of the bars if packed like we are.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to add an integrated sway control to your hitch system, like you can add the Reese Dual Cam system to the newer Reese wd hitches for example. Only thing you can do is go with the side mounted friction bars if you keep your current hitch. 2 are recommended for longer trailers. Just remember to remove them before turning very sharp as that can damage them from what I understand when backing- not sure about if moving forward and making a very sharp turn. Hopefully some others can shed some light for you!

Do you plan to sell your current trailer yourselves, or trade it in? If selling yourselves, you could add a little to the price and include the hitch. Then work the trailer deal with a hitch system with integrated sway control. Just a though!

Good luck!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

Vacation
Looking at my local dealers catalog. I assume that you are talking about the Reese sway control. Looking at the catalog it seems like a good setup. There are also other options listed.
I take delivery tmro. I'm gonna call my salesman in the morning and see if a deal for an integrated WD w/swAy can be worked into the deal. I'm still apprehensive about pulling this big thing down the road.
You ever have much "porpoising" during long hauls?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

This is the Reese system I have, with this Reese Titan shank. Now, from all the measurements I took I believe (and hope! Lol) that is the correct drop I need, but I haven't swapped the shank out yet due to the dealer not getting it ordered correctly in time for when we picked up our trailer. So as a result, they shipped the shank to me. Just haven't had a chance yet to change it.

Here is the Reese SC .

This is the Equal-I-Zer 4 Way Hitch I also mentioned.

The Reese SC and Equal-I-Zer systems are a little easier to set up compared to the Dual Cam system. Also on the DC system, if the way the trailer is loaded changes (full fresh water tank compared to only 10g for example), you may need to reseat the cams in the "crooks" of the wd bars. But some who have used both systems say when the DC is set up correctly, it is the better system. Maybe not by a huge amount, but a little bit. One thing you could notice with the SC/Equal-I-Zer is after making a turn, the sway control may not want to allow the truck and trailer to come back to a complete straight line due to the design. The DC will try to straighten the truck and trailer combo back in line with each other.

You can look up some you tube videos to try to help make a decision on which model hitch to go with.

I am not that familiar with the Blue Ox system. Just not sure how it actually has sway control built in the design when looking at it. From what I have read, it is in the way the bars flex that is how it controls sway.

As for noticing porpoising, I really haven't noticed to much, but we have only travelled about 400 mi total (loaded for a trip) since we bought the trailer. Not counting the 100 mi or so driving home from the dealer.

Chances are the dealer will have to order the hitch. I personally don't think 1200lb bars are enough for this rig, so don't let the dealer talk you into anything you don't want or need, or out of something you do want or need.

Hope this helps, and hope all goes well tomorrow!