Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

Jayco Bike Rack/Cargo Carrier

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure bikes on the Jayco optional bike rack? I have the rack and am having trouble securing the bikes for travel. Do people put the tires down or up? It seems their should be other options with the bike rack to secure bikes. Pictures would be very useful.
Thanks, Mike

2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS
2007 Chevy Durmax/Allison 1-ton Dually
papa&nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Team

I use a combo of bungy cords and nylon straps over the wheels. It takes me about 5 minutes to secure 2 bikes. I never have seen any specific info on how to do it. Mine stay secure for the long haul.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks Norty1 I ended up using nylon straps on the bike frames and I think that will work. Will have to see after I take a short trip to my dealer next week.

2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS
2007 Chevy Durmax/Allison 1-ton Dually
papa&nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

I use 2 nylon ratchet straps across the seat posts and front frame. For adult bikes you need to oppose them in order to fit. I can fit a child bike in the mix but that is it. Tires down in the plastic tray liner. They will shake pretty good so make sure they are secure as you can not see what is going on back there. Bungies I think would be too loose IMHO. Maybe as a starter to set the ratchets, but not on their own.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

I have the same trouble trying to secure the bikes on mine. I put the bikes upside down in opposing directions then use bungie cords and hope they arrive at the destination.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

This is a good question, since it seems Jayco doesn't give enough spots for tie downs on the tray. We haven't used ours yet but I was contemplating on making a cross bar then use that to help keep the bikes upright, besides strapping them down.

If anyone has pics that would be nice. I'll have to wait till spring to do ours.

DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #7

I know what you mean about the holes. I use the sandwich clamp under the frame behind the bumper as one of my attachments and run the strap under the bumper. This is the clamp that the tray is mounted too.

I have not had anything wiggle loose yet and when the bikes are not on there my genny and tote are so there is always something back there.

As for the rack someone made a PVC one to go inside there trailer here that I would think could be considered for this tray. Perhaps 3/4 PVC spray painted black would look good and be light weight. You would just need some slots for the bike tires to go into for upright stability, much like a public bike rack as the straps are doing much of the supporting there.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Jayco Bike Rack/Cargo Carrier

Many years ago I bought these bike racks off of Amazon. I have seen them at Lowes, Northern Tool, etc. They fit perfectly into the tray of my back rack slide out on my Pinnacle 5th wheel. This bike rack will support two bikes and allows for tie down very easily. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg  
HappyCamper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Picture of my seured bikes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	5494Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	5495Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5496

Here are my bikes secure from 3 angles. I use 3 nylon ratchet straps and a bunch of bungees. They stay secure. Towed this way for many miles.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the pics. I came to Mesa with my Coleman grill and Honda gen on the carrier but we bought a couple of bikes that we'll need to get home next spring. The pics are a big help on how you are doing it.
retired IT tech
iowahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #11

I am actually trying to repair my bike rack - but when it was working, I just used ratchet straps - similar to the pics above.

While pulling my TT on a pretty narrow road, with no shoulders, at about 35 mph, had a girl / lady coming at me in the other lane and she just had to keep her wheels on the yellow line. Forced me over a little further than I could fit. The outside wheels of the TT slid off the side of the road. This bent the shroud of the screw that drives the power leveling jacks, and the impact caused the load (2 totes of firewood) to bounce up, and then back down, bending the bar of the rack about an inch. It still carries the load fine, but won't slide in. Because that effects backing it up hills, I had to take it off.

Not sure if I should take the bar to a body shop to get it straightened, or a buddy of mine has a 20 ton press - may try and straighten it myself. What a PITA.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #12

pin location for bike rack

What are the ramifications of bolting a receiver to the top of the king pin area by drilling four holes in the metal. Any structural problems, do ya think?
sorry, I have a 36RLTS from 07
oldtrojan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrojan66 View Post
What are the ramifications of bolting a receiver to the top of the king pin area by drilling four holes in the metal. Any structural problems, do ya think?
sorry, I have a 36RLTS from 07
You'll receive more ramifications(consequence-development) transporting bikes on the rear of a trailer, than at the pin box. I don't think four small holes will harm the structural integrity of the pin box.

On my previous 5er, I made a pin box receiver to attach a folding bike rack.

1-3/4" receiver.

Bike rack inserted into receiver.

The bikes rode smooth over the rear axle of the truck.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #14

Thank you. That's exactly what I hoped for, some pictures. I will try to post some of my project when I finish. david
oldtrojan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #15

I have put 4 bikes on ours and I put the first one upside down and cover the pedal with a rag or foam so it won't scratch the travel, than the next right side up than the next upside down than the last one right side up. I have tried so many different ways and this seems to work for me. than I put the middle poll up and secure the bikes to that and run 1 ratchet type hold down from the last bike to the frame on the trailer. sounds confusing I know but can't get pics right now because its covered for the winter.
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrojan66 View Post
Thank you. That's exactly what I hoped for, some pictures. I will try to post some of my project when I finish. david
David,

I bought this bike rack off of Ebay. I didn't want to invest a bunch of $$ on a rake until I knew it would work.
As you can see, it has the adapter for a 2" receiver size. With the adapter removed, it fits a 1-1/4" receiver.

I had a few sections of scrap 3/4" angle and 1-1/4" ID square steel tubing from my wrought-iron fence/gate project. The tubing fit over the 1-1/4" OD mount, so I used what I had available.

I drilled a hole to fit the retaining pin(red arrow) and secured the receiver to the pin-box with six 5/16" bolts(yellow arrow). I then drilled a 5/16" hole on the top and welded a 3/8" nut over the hole(red circle). I welded a section of Key Stock on the head of a 3/8" X 1-1/4" bolt(sort of like a wing-bolt).
Once the bike rack is inserted and pinned into the receiver, the wing-bolt can be tightened to keep the rack from flopping around.

This worked out well with no problems. I was going to invest into a folding bike rack this year, but I sold the 5er and bought a Toy Hauler.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote