Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

jayco jay flight 195rb

Anyone have this model. We looked at it today... the price is great.... I looked at the tank size and was floored by how small they were. How has this affected anyone? 26 for Fresh 15 for gray and 9 for black. These have to be the smallest I have ever seen.

Help we love the model.. and the price... and want to make a decision. The 175RD also has the same take size. CHIME IN PEOPLE>... EXPERIENCE WANTED!!!:>)
2dogspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

don't forget, as the brochure states the 26 gallons also includes the hot water heater which is 6 gallons so it is really 20 gallons fresh. we had the starcraft versions with the same capacities and in a blink of an eye the water tank is empty and both holding tanks are full. nice units though and would buy another.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

Thank you

I do appreciate the honest feedback.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

We have a 2015 195RB Baja and love it. It's the perfect trailer for how we travel and camp. I do agree that the black/grey tanks are small but we've never had an issue with that. We do carry a portable 4-wheel waste toter just in case. Looking at the specs on Jayco's web site for the 2017 model shows that they have increased both the black and grey tank capacities to about 20g each - a much needed improvement.

If you want to have an increased fresh tank capacity then look at the Baja edition - it has a 30g fresh water capacity instead of the standard 20g. The Baja edition has an increased GVWR of 3750, which for some reason doesn't appear on the specs on Jayco's web site. That improves the cargo capacity a bit over the standard of around 550lbs or so. Ours has 735lbs cargo capacity as delivered. It also larger 30lb propane tank and flip axle with LT all-terrain tires. The flip axle gives you several inches more ground clearance which we needed in order to back it up the incline of our driveway and around back for storage. The standard model wouldn't have made it without scraping.

On longer trips the loaded trailer weight is about 3700lbs, so you do have to watch your loading, as with any of the smaller light-weight units. Tongue weight runs about 440lbs on average. We tow with a RAM 1500 using an Andersen No-Sway weight distributing hitch. Properly adjusted it is a nice and easy tow - never worn out after a long day of traveling.

We've made a few modifications, some of which you can see on our registry. Overall the unit has been fairly trouble free over the 2 years and 10K miles we've put on it so far. We had a couple of minor warranty items - a small water leak that we caught right away and some fit & finish items. We feel we made a pretty good choice given our wants and needs.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

I will look into it thank you!

I appreciate the time.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

Our 2015 195RB is permanently set up (on blocks) on our own camping property. It will never move off this spot unless we sell it. We do have electric now, but no other utilities.

We use it on weekends throughout the Summer, usually 2 or 3 nights at a time with only the 2 of us. Our kids have their own campers. Typically take 2 showers, wash dishes, etc. The wife will only drink bottled water. I get water from a city park spigot 6 miles away and carry it back in 5 gal. carboys. We usually top off the fresh water tank with 10 or 12 gallons at the end of the weekend. Never have put in more than about 18 gallons, and that's when it was 90 degrees and we took more showers. Our reserve is 60 gallons and we only have to refill my stash of carboys 2 or 3 times a Summer.

Showers are the main use of the water. With a little conservation and common sense you only need a couple of gallons to get the job done.

I empty the grey tank about every other day. since its only bath and dish water (and I OWN the place) I use it to water my gardens. The trailer is level, but on a hill, and at its location I can easily fit a 2 gallon pail under the grey spigot.

The property has a nice clean and sanitary outhouse, so we don't use the black tank because of the inability to clean it.

Our choice for the 195 over the other single axle models was that it has a full closet. When we Winter camp we need the space for bulky jackets. Also, in the Winter we bring water in plastic jugs (store in the bathtub....LOL) for drinking and dishes. When its only 25 degrees out we can wait 2 days to shower when we get home.

We went to 2 RV shows this year and saw nothing that would meet our requirements better. If i had to do it over again I would buy another 195.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

This is great feedback. THANKS TONS.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Just thought of a couple other things....

I had a few minor adjustments, but in the 2 1/2 years we have had the Jayco it has been quite trouble-free. The kitchen faucet leaked after about 22 months and I contacted Jayco directly, rather than bother the dealer. The sent me a new faucet and i had to return the old one. I replaced it in 5 minutes. That was the only warranty claim.

I made quite a few mods, but only more customizing on my part.

After having only gravity furnaces in old RVs up to now, the furnace and air conditioning are what have really made us happy. We can go down to Camp in January, shovel a foot of snow off our back porch to get the RV door open, and about 15 minutes after firing up the furnace we are comfy and cozy and enjoying microwave popcorn and our TV.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

I have never had a wall AC... why is this not on the roof and does this make a difference in the comfort level?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #10

it's just me , the wife and a 6 year old boy, with the 9 gallon tank we can get 3 days without too much effort, and 4 days if we are careful.

it's the grey water that is a pain, mine has 11 gallons, so that fills up pretty fast just washing dishes and taking showers, so I got a 5 gallon pail with cover to dump some gray water when needed
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogspod View Post
I have never had a wall AC... why is this not on the roof and does this make a difference in the comfort level?
The wall mount A/C units are less expensive and easier to replace as you can generally pick one up at a big box store for $200-250 and don't have to mess around with roof seals. That said, they do have some drawbacks. They are lower rated - 5K BTU in the 2013 and older models and 8K BTU starting in 2014 forward compared to 13.5K BTU for the roof mount. I think they are louder than the roof mounts and are not as effective in circulating the cool air. They may also be more prone to leaks including from the condensation tray.

For our use we have not found any of these to be an issue. We spend a couple weeks a year in the south west and the wall mount does fine for us up to about 90-95 degrees outside. When it starts approaching 100 or more then you can tell the wall mount isn't quite up to the task. So unless you are going to spend the majority of your time in a very hot climate the wall mount is usually sufficient.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

For my family of 4, we have a 24 gallon black and 24 gallon gray tank. Generally the gray tank is full after 3-4 days (damn you dishes, and the kids are still learning to take it easy on the water). The black we have never been close to full, and that is generally easy to achieve if you can use campground facilities unless absolutely necisary. In terms of the Gray, again it could be mitigated more if we used the outside shower more often for washing hands and what not.

Those tanks are pretty small, but you CAN make due with small tanks if you are mindful of what you are using.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

We bought ours last summer and used it boondocking for 4 days. As it was cool we cut back to one shower each and some rinsing. Dishes also took some plus flushing. But when we pulled out I still had 5 or 6 inches in the tank and my black and gray were not full.
We only drink bottled water as it saves us a lot of worry about bacteria and water refill sources.

In short, other than the lousy seat cushions and mattress it is great. The AC was used several times during our trips and cooled well. Slightly less noisy than a roof AC plus other comments on repairs. If ours fails I will put in a quieter unit.
One shortcoming, no silver ware drawers (or any drawers). I intend to build a drawer under the table seat if I don't pull them out and replace with more comfortable chairs.

Easy to pull with my v6 jeep grand cherokee and Andersen hithch combo.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

In our case a roof mount AC would have been a deal breaker. Our driveway is heavily wooded and I would not have taken a chance to have the unit hit a branch. The wall unit is just like the window unit in my bedroom when i was a kid. It cools the trailer remarkably fast, though the hottest we ever experienced was about 92.

The dinette cushions could be softer, but they are adequate. We eat outside 90% of the time anyway. I thought the mattress was quite comfortable. The two of us top out at about 350# combined.

Our old trailer had drawers, but the 195 pantry's shelves are so convenient we don't miss them. A plastic silverware caddy from the dollar store serves us well.

Our old trailer was 50 years old when we retired her. (a 1964 model) It had an ice box and hand pump on the sink. No battery. Propane lights and furnace. We camped in her for 28 years and loved every minute of it. To us, the new Jayco 195 is the Taj Mahal.

Just spent the day at Camp today. The old '64 had a minor roof leak that needed attention. Yes, we still use her - she's our guest house!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #15

IMO grey water doesn't hurt anything. A couple ways to manage it is to do dishes in a plastic bowl, then pitch the water outside.

If boondocking, I have a sewer cap with a garden hose that I use. I string it out, and leave the grey open. I don't use if there are campers nearby, they might think I'm using it for black.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39463-S.../dp/B000BQKBP2

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #16

We have a 2014 185rb, same size tanks. We wash dishes outside or at dish sinks at campgrounds. Bath house for showers and daytime needs. Also carry a 27 gal waste tank. Only takes 30 mins to fill tank and go to dump station after 4 days. A/C is fine considering the size of the trailer. We live and camp in Florida. Cools off enough for us. Tanks are small, but with some practice, it all works out.
EdandLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogspod View Post
We have been in Florida for a month.. Its been quite warm at times. The wall AC makes it quite cool inside. Low temps have been in the high 70's. As we are from Maine we like the temp for sleeping at 64. The AC can do that. The high yesterday was 98. It was comfy inside. The nice thing about the AC is we can power it with a 2000 watt generator. And we can lift the generator into the truck. However the air circulation is better in front of the AC than in the bed area.

A roof mounted AC would not work for us.. We live on a camp road where the tree branches are low.

The tanks are small but we come from tent camping. We find that we have to empty and resupply every third or fourth day.

We also carry a five gallon bucket for stealth emptying of grey water tank..

Our big gripe is the mattress. Wasn't long before it was in the bulky waste facility.

We got this little unit for easy on the road travel.. By the end of 2017 it may have visited almost all of the States and half of Canada. If we were in one spot for a month we probably would have picked a bigger unit.. You have do dance with others inside politely.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
IMO grey water doesn't hurt anything. A couple ways to manage it is to do dishes in a plastic bowl
We do this and then dump the soapy water in the toilet to help fill it and flush better at the dumping station.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
It's a great trailer ..... great floorplan, and easy to tow!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #20

Yah,, 700 miles yesterday . In the same snowstorm that followed us from VA to Maine.

Luckily its obedient.. The winds were high and whiteout conditions for a couple of hours.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote