Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #21

We are generally pleased with our trailer. Several minor warranty issues that have been dealt with by in a positive and successful manner by our dealer. A couple of those issues I consider as QC and so give Jayco a 7 out 10 on QC and the dealer a 10 out 10 so far. A year left on the warranty!

Tom
Amateur Photographer
Family History Researcher
Former Canoe Camper & Retired Airline Pilot
tjerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #22

We are on our 3rd Jayco trailer and have had a few minor issues with the trailer and one major issue (front and rear end cap oxidation) Would consider two of them QC issues a cabinet latch and a white thermostat when all the switches and outlets are black and others as infant mortality on an outside speaker, lighted keypad on the door, and some of the light bulbs. Our dealer has corrected all of them without question and they are the main reason we keep going back.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #23

This is our first Jayco. The only problem we've had (but it's a big one) is the AC doesn't work. We are awaiting a part from the manufacturer and hopefully it will be fixed soon. But we are scheduled to head out for a five week vacation to a very hot climate. It it isn't fixed soon, we'll have to cancel.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #24

Well.. I pointed out this particular thread to our rep at Jayco. If I hear anything, I will let you all know.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #25

Good, tell them not to dispose of garbage above the thermal bottom cover. And don't leave out cabinet hinges. Or mount the water pump in a way that rattles the whole kitchen and bathroom wall. Or pinch the air mattress outlet plugs because the outlets are to low. Or use an inappropriate length cable from cd player to the tv that renders the swivel useless. Or forget to adjust the door so it can close without slamming. Or supply the correct battery the manual says group 31 and not smaller 24 (dealer issue) Or leave off screws so the brake wires are hanging low and almost got ripped off. And make a water tank system that can actually hold the water without siphoning it out the vents. And don't install black tank flush 3 inches from fresh water fill hole. And lubricate the windows so you can actually open them. And use brake light bulbs that can make it home from dealer without blowing out. And if you bolt the main battery cable circuit breaker to the frame and it cracks, replace it, don't just leave it. Probably more minor stuff I am forgetting but I try to just correct stuff as I find itand then try to forget it. Oh yeah, the radio quit working probably as a result of the short cable pulling on the harness. I had to solder a new end on one of the wires to fix that.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #26

We are very happy with our Jayco Skylark, but after two years of ownership we have noticed that there are some minor problems that are factory related. Specifically some of the exterior trim is attached in place with screws. I've noted that a few of these screws are rusting, leaving rust streaks down the side of the trailer. There are about 2 dozen of these screws and 3 or 4 are rusting the remaining screws are stainless steel and not rusting. Apparently some of the assembly personnel don't pay attention to what screws they are using and Jayco isn't aware that a zinc plated screw in contact with aluminum will rust very quickly. They need to eliminate steel screws from their floor stock or get them with a different head so that assembly personnel can't use the wrong type of screws on the exterior.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #27

Short answer-- Yes
I have found MANY screws that were missing or installed at angles screws are not supposed to be installed. If I worked on aircraft with the same amount of sloppiness and carelessness my Eagle was put together with, I'd be in jail right now. And I am not exaggerating one bit.
Here is one example. You might have to zoom in to see the crooked screw.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0625131730.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	13480
To the credit of the dealer, they got me a trim cover like on the front arm to conceal the unsightly screw. Once a screw is put in crooked, there is no undoing it. Covering it up was my best option.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #28
Site Team

Issues during 4 2/3 years of ownership:

One bad compression washer under the sink which I replaced.
One defective toilet valve module of which Thetford sent me one at no charge, replaced it myself.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #29

Angry

I would love to say that we are completely happy with our first Jayco but I can't lie! We have had many issues which are still unresolved and our warranty is up. Our 2012 Eagle has been to the dealer(s) several times with the same issues and they call us up and tell us it's fixed and it isn't! I have come to the conclusion that we will never get these ( sewer gas smell, loud squeak in floor, bad gas regulator, crimped gas hose, bubbling of fiberglass on cargo door) fixed because of a dealer (CW) who doesn't care and a manufacturer who should have a better QC dept! Our FW has been at the dealer for over 12 weeks so far this year. We have only used it one time in 2014! To say we are frustrated is an over-statement!
jeffc1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #30

Have a 2014 Eagle 338RLTS - traded a 2007 Jay Flight 29BHS. Love the Eagle; however, are questioning Jayco's quality. Had to replace the roof on the Jay Flight. It was done under warranty. No other significant problems.

The 2014 338RLTS has had several issues:

Major issues - the cabinet doors (washer/dryer) are so tight that they must be closed together or they overlap a little. Tried to adjust but can't adjust enough to make it work properly. The biggest issue is the kitchen/dining room floor squeaks like an old house. Camper is parked in permanent site and dealer is many hours away. Tried re-leveling, removed all jacks and re-leveled again, still squeaks. Last couple of weeks the squeaking area is expanding. Also have a cracking sound in floor when stepping from bedroom to bathroom and back.

Other issues - Bad screw in outlet above counter - the damaged screw should never have been put in in the first place and outlet was loose and came out when unplugged the coffee maker the first time; both shower faucets have "H" for hot - dealer sent replacement parts and I fixed them.

Also have screws that hold the awning frame in at an angle and one screw is in the large hole in the awning frame, holding nothing. Very sloppy.

One of the two lights above the table continues to quit working. Must pop the lens off and wiggle the bulb every time we turn the light on.

Bathroom sink - the lip that the plug rests on is paper thin and broke off. Dealer says Jayco had a bad batch of sinks for several years and has now changed providers. Remedy for us - purchase a screen to put in the drain when using the sink and want water to flow out. Use the plug when want to accumulate water in the sink - Jayco is NOT replacing the sinks.

Screen door had many scratches and was warped. Worked with dealer and when I was unable to to spring the door so it would close and seal, dealer arranged to send a new door.

Some windows are so tight that extreme force must be applied to open and close. Screen in one bedroom window is too short for opening, leaving ~ 1/4 inch gap for bugs to enter.

Very disappointed! When we purchased our new camper we only looked at Jayco because of Jayco's reputation and our previous experience. We expected a relatively trouble free experience by purchasing an Eagle. Dealer has been great, but we're so far away that it's not practical to return the unit for repairs. In addition, because we're on a permanent site and the site setup, it's very difficult to move the camper off the site.
Eagle2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #31

The only real quality control issue I've had with my 2013 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS has been that the screws holding the cabinet doors on were overtightened, and they have been getting loose. I assumed they used some kind of screw gun and just applied too much torque. I've been replacing them with larger screws and tightening them by hand, and all is good.

My biggest problem with Jayco has been their response to warranty issues. I had several issues with the keyless entry on my door. The response I received from Challenger Door was much more satisfying than the response I received from Jayco.

My other issue has been the front landing gear jacks. They have been inadequate since the day I picked up the camper. The dealer has made every effort to correct the issue, but they have been limited by Jayco's response to the problem. For whatever reason, the single motor installed on the jacks is simply not up to the task. There is an ongoing thread about this issue in the fifth wheel forum.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #32

On my Swift, I have many screws that are in on an angle. I had to redo all the screws on the converter because All the screws came loose and the converter was rattling around. That is just one of many screw issues. I remember on our 806 sport tent trailer all the screws on the one bed came out and one of the walls had 2 inches if play. Why did I go back to jayco. The customer service.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #33

I'm not impressed with their quality control that's for sure..........hate to say it, but if any of those fabricators worked on any of my projects, they would be fired real quick.

Unfortunately, it is a common ailment in most fabricated products now days.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #34

Got a new 2014 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS about 4 weeks ago. While we still love the camper as much as the first day we saw it, they are some little ''nit pickey'' stuff I could complain about.....not nothing major really, just the kinda things that piss you off a little after giving ~ 30,000.00 plus for a trailer.

The first nights sleep in it, we woke up to find some water in the kitchen floor! The hot water heater ''out'' line was loose and dripping....about one full turn by hand and it was tight. The water swelled a piece of trim a bit, but it will be fine for now.

2 of the air conditioner vents were hanging down on one end because the screws were half way in.

The antenna crank handle assembly fell off the first time I touched it because the set screw in the handle wasn't tight.

The kitchen sink faucet has a rocker switch on it to switch between spray and stream, it came tore up, it will wait for now too.

While I was prowling around taking covers off.... just seeing where stuff was the first week we had it, I found the whole furnace unit wasn't even screwed down! The wires were pulled tight as banjo strings and the exhaust and wires were all that was holding it still! I haven't looked much futher yet, but it also appears the hole cut for the duct work exit it about 2 inches bigger than it needs to be and they will be a lot of air just blowing out there instead of making it through the duct work. Also the ground wire that attaches to the duct work isn't connected to anything, just hanging loose in there....and I have no idea where it's supposed to go and why. I'll get to that in a few months though.

First time we used the outdoor kitchen sink I had to fix another water leak, on the drain side this time.

Had to finish driving the staples in that hold the carpet down on the main slide after my wife and kids and actually even myself stepped on a few staple heads....about 20 after I looked closer and got the hammer out.

Had to adjust the main door, screen door, and outdoor kitchen door to open and shut properly....not a big deal either but damn does nobody at jayco even check to see if the doors (the first thing you touch to go in) even works right?

I'm fairly confident my 8 year old daughter could put the hex head screws that hold the awning on, in straighter than the factory did.

A few of the screws that hold inspection covers on don't even hit anything on the back side.

A few of the wardrobe and cabinet doors were out of adjustment and would rub or hit each other while closed or closing.

If I really wanted to be pickey, the main slide is out of square about an 1/2'' on one end, but it works perfect and still seals far as I can see in the in and out positions so I'll leave it be till the warranty is out and I'll adjust it to perfection myself.

The ground wire screw for the electric rear stabilizer jacks came broke off in the frame and the wires just hanging there.

Besides the hot water leak and the furnace just thrown in, my other biggest gripe is one of the screws on the gutter above the wardrobe slide was over tightened and broke off leaving the gutter to hang down on one end after a few weeks.

As a custom construction and excavating man, I probably am a bit pickey when it comes to attention to detail.....If I built someone a new house I certainly wouldn't expect them to be fixing stuff the first 4 weeks of ownership even if it is little nit nacks. I've fixed about all of the above issues myself because I'm highly capable to do so, and it would be cheaper and easier on me just to do it myself than it would be to haul it an hour and half one way across the mountain to the dealership....and then probably wait on it half of camping season.

No kind of oxidation-cracking on the front brown cap yet, but Im prepared to deal with that when the time comes....I knew about that issue before I went into this.

All in all, If I had to do it over again, I would but MAINLY just for the floor plan, not so much for Jayco. The whole family just loved the layout and floor plan of this trailer so that makes it a bit better as well. Not that the issues are that big a deal as I said, but damn the QC guys need to wake up a bit! If I were turning out thrown together work like this, I wouldn't stay in business long.

After reading on Heartland owners and a few other forums, It still makes me feel better about going with Jayco. I coulda spent a lot more money on a heartland product we looked at before the jayco, but their QC lacking was obvious after a 5 minute walk through.....
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #35

Well isn't this discussion a downer. Yeah our current TT had issues and I corrected them myself. I did bypass the dealer about them and contacted Jayco directly because I was so pissed off for spending money on a product that should have had no issues. I didn't even involve the dealer because we were camping at the time I corrected them. For my "inconvenience" Jayco sent me a check for $100.00. We are considering an Eagle HT next year. I told my dealer to expect a long walkthru. It won't leave the lot until any issue I find is corrected. Fortunately the dealer is only 30 minutes away.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #36

I am on my third most recent 2015 Seneca few little things but no real problems
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #37

We love our 31.5 RLTS. But I was disappointed in spending $40,000+ that there were dings on the woodwork, kitchen drains not tight. Kitchen Sink drains not put in straight, cargo door latches not adjusted correctly.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #38

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a serious enough issueor numerous minor issues while still under warranty that they've demanded a new trailer or had to file an action under the lemon law? And, if you've had to cancel trips and lost money on deposits due to your RV being unroadworthy at the time due to maintenance/service issues, will Jayco reimburse those costs?

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #39

I don't beleive this is limited to the last 2 or 3 years. We've purchased 3 Jaycos new, 10 years apart from one another. A '93 1208 PUP, a Kiwi 17a hybrid in '03, and our current X20E in 2013. Every one of them had missing/loose screws, misaligned doors or cabinet doors, etc. Once these little things were fixed the units are pretty solid.

On our X20E the plastic molding around the bathroom door wasn't completely glued down and prevented the door from fully closing. The outside door wouldn't open easily and the screen door wouldn't stay closed. There plastic cover in the channel on the top back of the trailer was too short and the end 2 screws were exposed. I just fixed all this stuff myself, but you'd think there'd be a bit more pride in the finish work.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #40

over the years we have had the minor issues like everyone else and have fixed most of those problems ourselves. on our current trailer however we cannot draw our water tanks down to anywhere near empty. when the water pump starts sucking air we still have well over 10 gallons of water left in the tanks.(I know because I have drained and measured what comes out of the tanks) and to make matters worse, if we are slightly off level we have over a 3rd of a tank of freshwater and the pump will run dry. tried with the dealer twice and say they cannot fix it period. wouldn't be so bad except we dry camp exclusively and could really use the stated capacity of the water. I am not impressed one bit!!