Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Jayco Quality as seen by Jayco Owners

While researching which new RV I was going to order I did a large amount of research on many different makes. One of the brands that kept coming up in the top 3 or 4 was Jayco. I have ordered one to be picked up in Mar, but of course I keep paging through the internet for more info. Someone on this forum put a link to the RV Coach website which shows owner's rating of their RVs. I must say I'm rather puzzled how current owners rate their Jaycos. Not really flattering.

There are several hundred makes of RVs represented on the survey. I counted only the ones with 50 respondents or more in order to get a good representation. Here's what the RV Coach responses indicate. Better than Jayco products = 41 , worse than Jayco Products = 8, which puts Jayco near the bottom.

Am I missing something? Sure hope so since I now have one coming.

http://www.rv-coach.com/RV/manufactu...v_results.html
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

My Jayco has been fantastic. I think you will find in all surveys that those who have a problem with a product will be more vocal than those who have no problems with that same product.

There may be more Jayco's sold and therefore the results slanted because of that problem.

I will buy another in a flash if needed.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

The internet is good for many things. But how reliable is this survey? How current is it? If you keep looking I'm sure you can find more related to the subject. I rarely put much faith in only one search. Maybe you have done more searching. But remember, anybody can post online and make info seem reliable.

We love our Jayco and will definately have them at the top of our list should we ever buy another.

And the second poster above is right..usually only people with bad experiences will report it. How many thousand satisfied Jayco owners are simply not going online to brag?
V-5 Talon hitch
Valley 1200 WD hitch w/ Valley sway
eatmorebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

I have been very happy with my Jayco Designer. A quality unit that stacks up very well to all competition that I have seen.

However, all Jaycos are not made to the quality standard (materials) that are used to construct a Designer. I have towed my Designer many thousands of miles and everything remains intact. Units made of cheaper materials I would suspect would not stand up to the miles of towing.

In most cases you get what you pay for and a Designer, now Pinnacle, is a quality unit. Higher cost, higher expectations fewer issues. As you go down the food chain, be it Jayco or competitors, you can expect more issues per mile. Screws etc just will not hold up to the road pounding in fiber board like they do in the solid wood construction cabinets etc of higher end coaches.

If you bought a quality Jayco unit, quit worrying - everything is going to be just fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

We researched on the Internet as most do where volumes of information can be found. After this we visited dealers who carried our final 3 which were Heartland for their Big Horn series, Dutchman for their new Infinity's and Jayco for the Pinnacle. All very nice with good construction. Our research started last June.

The Big Horn's were a little less money but it came down to floorplan, warranty and reputation. The wife fell in love with Jayco's new floorplan...the 36kpts wich stands for Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide. Awesome storage which was important as the wife is a crafter and will be bringing most of her supplies and tools along when we hit the road. No problem for that now and yet plenty of storage for the kitchen stuff.

The quality is something that Jayco has been known for years with a 2 year warranty that backs that up. I sold RV's from 1985-2007 with one of the largest dealers in the Midwest and we did not carry Jayco but a dealer close by did and they were always good competition. Jayco is still family owned and one of the oldest RV manufacturers in the industry.

With that you will have to do your own research and hope this bit of information helps.

Oh...as you see we live in Reno but ended up ordering in Menifee CA. About 9.5 hours from here. Why? We visit the San Diego area a couple times during the year, last time late October for the Packers/Chargers game, and made a point of going up to Menifee to see the Jayco as we knew they had them in stock and our local dealer here just took on the Pinnacle but did not have anything in yet. Menifee is also where we saw the Infinity. The sales person and dealership were fabulous even knowing we were from Reno. When we decided on the Jayco our local dealer would not deal the way we thought they would...to bad as we really wanted to buy locally. I still had the sales person's info in Menifee called him and 2 days later consummated the order. We will gladly drive the 9.5 hours to save $7000.

Our Pinnacle comes off line mid February and should be in Menifee the end of the month. Plans are to p/u in mid March and can't wait.

Again good luck with your decision.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

We shopped for our 5th Wheel for several years, we visited many dealers, RV Shows and a lot of internet research.

There were 3 finalists (at approx the same price porint) in our search which included Jayco, Heartland and Crossroads.
We felt all of these brands had good soild products that had good quality, great customer service and good factory support.

In the end the Jayco Pinnacle came out on top with construction, floorplan, fit & finish, warranty and most of all it just felt right when we sat in the Pinnacle at the dealer.
We also felt if we had any problems, Jayco would be there to make things right.

Best wishes on you search for the right RV for you and your needs.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

By asking a couple of hundred people in the U.S. what they think about any RV is not going to give any accurate results of good or bad quality. I scanned through the results. Alpenlite got a better rating than Jayco. So why are they out of business? I owned an Alpenlite 5Ver. I would never have rated it that high. If fact if I had even known that poll was there on the web I would have given them my opinion serveral years ago about Alpenlite.

I like my new Jayco. I like the two year warranty. I also just received my free membership for NMC road service for 1 year from Jayco. Every time I e-mail Jayco and ask a question about my TT they get back to me with good information. Most important, Jayco seems very innovative in their construction. They seem way ahead of other manufacturers, especially in insulation qualities of the RVs.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

I have to say that over the last 2 years of owning our Jayco the unit has been great. Things to take into consideration when looking at the company as a whole. Jayco is probaly the only company to stand behind the unit for 2 years. Has there been any major structural issues reported on the internet or recalled as it relates to any line of units? Only a few and they were mostly wall corners in a high stress areas. I personally think the bones of the units are some of the best out there.

What are people complaning about? It is component that failed which would be a vendor and not Jayco directly. Of all the issues I have seen presented here over the years most have been addressed and resolved to the customers satisfaction.

Overall every manufacturer is going to have some "quality" issues but as a whole I think that the Jayco's are minor compared to some that I have read about.

We looked at other competitors products and owned some others as well. The overall materials and structural components were just better overall compared to the units we looked at.

If you look at that survey also note the number of responses. Jayco had the most and by almost double of any other company. I have been to the dealer once for a minor issue with a slide adjustment and jack switch. I think some of the issues also lie in a bad PDI. Every dealer is going to do it differently which is where some of the complaints come from as well. Again mostly minor imperfections and oversights.

You should feel good about your choice and do your due dilligence at the PDI. Take a check list with you and spend the required time to check all the systems again.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Like everybody else who makes a big $ investment we did our research too. Among other things we asked what people thought of their current units while on walks thru campgrounds. Hearing very favorable things about Jayco products made an big influence to go with a Jayco.
wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #10

We bought an Eagle 5er after looking for a long time at Airstreams.Just kept comeing back to a 5er ,+ the unbelievable price on a new Air stream .The Pinnacle was just a little more than we wanted to spend since we are not full timers.
We are very happy with our unit.One thing that is so very important is the Dealership from whom you purchase.Looked at several Jayco lots and came right back to our local dealer that has been a family operation since shortly after WWII selling/servicing travel trailers & MH's.Yes we will get another Jayco if another one is in the cards.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #11

Thank you all for responding and giving your feedback. Your comments are very reassuring that we made the correct choice in chosing Jayco.

cheers and have a great day

moe
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #12

Gayle and I have had numerous camper units over the years, all TTs until now. Most good, some not so great. None were Jayco. After a very long vacation trip several years ago, from Virginia to Wyoming and back, we saw and talked to many owners of 5ers, and the hands down favorite units were Jayco products. So, last year, we bought a used 2004 Designer Medallion 29RLTS from the original owners, and are VERY pleased with it. It has quite a few miles on it, but still looks almost new, and most people would not guess from its present condition that it is 8 years old. We credit Jayco with building a superior unit that has really lasted in great condition. If we ever decide to buy another camper, it will definitely be a Jayco. Good luck with your new unit, and maybe we'll meet down the road somewhere, and share some good times.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

I did notice that only two RV's had an owner number over 300. Jayco had the most responces with 448 and Winnebago was second with 309. Most had less than 30 responces.

We are very happy with our Jayco.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #14

20 years of researching all the available RV's & attending RV shows and we bought a Jayco. We have already decided that our next RV will be a Jayco.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #15

Also note on that survey that Jayco had 448 reviews, with Winnebago being second with 310 and all others less than (most much less than) 200 reviews, this severely throws statistics off. I don't own a Jayco yet, but it keeps coming up in first place on my list. Best of luck and I hope we are both making the right choice :-)
2010 Travel Light 1000 SLRX Truck Camper
2009 268 Bryant Boat
www.newgentadventures.blogspot.com
1GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

I've had 4 different camper products from 4 different manufacturers. If there's one constant it's this: They're all built by talented people, but some are products are designed better than others. You need to pay attention to whatever it is that you're buying.

My wife and I were interested in an X23b last winter. They all had a goofy-looking TV stand. But through her research we found that the model was changed mid-year to have a full counter top, with the tv suspended from the wall. The deal was sealed right there.

So far, no leaks. Only one loose screw to tighten. No warranty work required whatsoever. I got exactly what I paid for. No more, no less.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote