Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Site Team

Winterizing and Battery disconnect can be assumed to be the owners responsibility. I left mine at a dealer lot for a month once and I went there and winterized it, marked it winterized. Forgot to disc the battery and it was ruined when I got it back.

I would not assume anyone is doing it without having a conversation about it with the dealer or company that has it for whatever reason.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #22

I have had good luck with our local dealership. I had a few items I knew would take sometime. One time I brought it in, fixed what they could, took it home and used it. When the parts were in, they called, and I dropped it off. Another time, I email the dealer photos so approvals could be made, before dropping it off.

I think if you want it back so you can use it, while parts are on order, the dealers will try to accommodate.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #23

This is probably the second biggest problem with the RV industry (the 1st being quality control in building them to fast). My new Starcraft needed a gel-coat repair to the front cap plus a long list of other things. I emailed the dealer pictures of all the items, asked them several times to get the needed parts coming before I dropped it off, made an appointment 30 days ahead of time. Dropped it off, it sat there 6 weeks before it was even close to being done. I finally had to pick it up to put it in storage. Several things were not done and I had to bring it back in the spring for another 6 week stint. There is really no excuse in the parts delay, I waited 2 months for someone to ship a quart of gel-coat. If I had the color code I could have ordered it from one of my marine suppliers and had it here in 3 days. I blame the lack of organization of the dealer, waiting for approval from the manufacture for repairs, and lack of specialty parts stock for the problems. I work in the boating industry and I can get any part for a boat or engine the next day, or maybe 3 days on an odd part (excluding the rare back-ordered item). We could do any warranty repair without authorization, except major assembly replacements (like a blown engine).

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #24

Luckily my dealer is only 15 minutes away. I've taken it in to have them look at the problems then take it back home if it is something they need to get parts for. They get the warranty approval and once the parts come back in, they call me to bring it back in. The longest they have kept it has only been 1-2 weeks for serious repairs. Usually it is only for a few days.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
Site Team

When I had my gelcoat repair on the front cap, Jayco gave me the number of the supplier and I called them. They shipped me the gelcoat in the correct color at no charge is less than a week.

I don't understand either why there are so many disparities in doing the same thing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #26

I think most of the disparity on service is dealer related. When I have taken my RV in for warrantee work close to my home they will order the parts and call when they arrive. If there is a hold up on parts they call and give me an update. Some of the parts may come from a vendor that doesn't have an adequate supply which delays parts. The parts needed from Jayco usually show up in less than 2 weeks. When I called Jayco about my fading gel coat they approved the repair in days and the dealer scheduled the work in a few weeks and the decals were there when the work started.
When I was on the road I needed a TV replaced and the convection oven failed. Jayco had a local dealer buy a TV locally and sent out a local repair man to fix the oven. I can't complain about Jayco's warranty service. If the dealers I worked with can do this so can others.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBevil View Post
During my camping trips over the summer I ask every Jayco owner and Jayco dealers what they thought about the Jayco maintenance/warranty program. Most owners and surprisingly most dealers said that it takes to long to get TT and 5ers in for service. Most stated that when they had to take the TT in it was usually 3-4 weeks before they got it back. Most dealers said that getting the parts in quickly was a problem. This keeps the Jayco owner from enjoying their TT or 5er for one month of camping season, if not longer. Most dealers and owners told me that most warranty/maintenance was not safety related but it still stayed at the dealers for 3-4 weeks at best. I know when I took my TT in for a broken ladder in early March, I was not returned to me until late April (6 weeks). The ladder was not a safety issue and I could have used the TT during March and April and when the ladder was received by the dealer I could have been called and scheduled a time to bring the TT in. Most dealers do not have enough bays to handle the work, so therein lies the backlog. Yesterday I went by the dealer to ask about a sticking entry door. Dealer said I should bring it in on Tuesday and they would look at it. If it needed a new door it would be 6-8 weeks before they could get to it. Which brings up another question who is responsible for winterizing. Probably will not get cold until December here. Again not a safety issue and, in Texas, October, November and early December is prime time for camping. In my opinion Jayco needs to address this issue and come up with a better solution. My dealer says that he has way to many units on the lot for maintenance and with only 4 bays he stays backlogged. Most units could have the maintenance scheduled and only be in the shop for a week at most. Jayco is a leader in the industry and if they change the way maintenance is scheduled then the rest of the industry will follow suit. Sorry for the long rant but all of us paid good money to use our units for camping, not to see it setting at the dealers
Seems like part of your issue will be resolved?
Jayco adding to customer service space | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

"I blame the lack of organization of the dealer, waiting for approval from the manufacture for repairs, and lack of specialty parts stock for the problems."

I have read lots of these types of complaints. Some service providers do better than others, some worse.

The only owners I know that seem to not worry about this stuff much are the ones that have up-skilled themselves and do most of the warranty work themselves OR go to a local rv repair shop and just pay to have it fixed.

These are entertainment toys. That is part of the problem.

The owners are increasing much faster than the new service technicians. So, expect it to get worse and more expensive as dealers raise wages to compete for technicians AND yes, they often don't fill all their open job slots.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I think long service times have as much to do with the dealer as with Jayco (and maybe more so)....... Maybe, just maybe, we expect too much?
Yes, its more of a dealer issue than with the manufacturer.

NO, the problem is we expect too little. If our expectations are large and we settle for less, we let them get away with it. We talk with our checkbooks. Stop buying the product / service and they'll get the message.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
This is probably the second biggest problem with the RV industry (the 1st being quality control in building them to fast)..
My experience with different RVs is limited. Our first unit was 23 years old when we bought it and we had it for 27 years. We currently own a 1 year old Jayco and the experience has been good.

However, I have been involved with the manufactured housing industry for 40 years, as a supplier and a new product developer. Mobile Homes are just bigger trailers that don't travel....LOL.

Anyway, the problems are the same. A Jayco is built in the same time frame as a Doublewide "Home", the QC is the same and the issues are the same.

If they built them any slower and paid attention to detail we couldn't afford them. Its like comparing a trailer house to a stick built house. You get what you pay for!
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #31

Quickest way to get them on the ball is bad reviews and no repeat purchases. YELP is one source.
shaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #32

When we first bought our trailer it had more problems than one could think about. We always called ahead and made appointments far enough ahead that they could get the parts needed. One time we paid for a repair rather than wait for Jayco approval and were later reimbursed by Jayco. I can understand dealer dissatisfaction with pay back for warrantied repairs as it took three months for us to get our money back. We also found that dealer quality varies as the dealers in Twin Falls Id. and Deerpark Wn. were very good and the selling dealer in Phoenix really sucked.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #33

I have had reasonably good luck with appointments at Albany RV (No I don't work for them). One time their repair man didn't show up (scheduling confusion at their service dept). Most times have gotten an appointment within a week and repaired that day.
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I can understand dealer dissatisfaction with pay back for warrantied repairs as it took three months for us to get our money back.
?????
Both times we received reimbursement for on the road warranty we had the check in 2-3 weeks.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #35

Parts Availability Dissatisfaction

I just took delivery of a new Eagle HT on January 4th and told the dealer on the walkthrough about a defective folding leg on a table in the living room area. They said they would order it and now it is Feb 15th and they still can't tell me when the part will be in. I know this is a minor part, but I am used to getting parts in a few days for vehicles and other equipment. I am not a happy camper at this point, if this is how customer service is going to be. I know I am not the only one that has a sizable investment in their RV; I expected better response time. Also, the person I spoke with in the dealer service department did not seem too concerned about my situation. Basically, I was told they could not do anything about it in rather short words.
BennyCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #36

My TT had a defective table top discovered during the PDI. My dealer (in Middlebury) submitted a warranty claim with Jayco (in Middlebury) and POOF! roughly 2 months later I had my table top!

My sofa has a defective back and a couple of other minor issues. Just before Thanksgiving, I took it in to my dealer (here in AZ). Last week the dealer received two back cushions! The sofa back was reordered.

As far as I know, dealers don't stock parts and neither does Jayco. Jayco has to go through their warranty claim approval process and then, in most situations, order the part from their vendor(s).

There was a recent post about Jayco expanding their customer service department. That may not help you, but it seems Jayco is trying to improve things in that area.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote