Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Jayco Warranty Question

Bought a 23F about 4 hours from home since that was the only closest place we could find with the trailer we wanted, as well as they had a great price.

We have owned it for about 4 weeks.

We have camped with it once so far, for 2 nights.

Up until now we have kept it on our side yard, but this weekend we moved it into the driveway where I can see the roof from the second floor window.

I noticed last night that it looked like the TV antenna wire was just lying on the roof. I went out to check it and the wire is broken and pulled from the antenna. I also noticed that there is about a 1/2" tear in the rubber roof material about a foot from the antenna, and a couple other scratch marks both on the roof and the awning material, which are white, as if the trailer had something white dragged or rubbed along a short part of the roof.

I called a local Jayco dealer in south jersey who will at this time remain nameless, and asked if I could bring the trailer by to have it looked at under the warranty. Which brings me to my point.

I was told that they are only accepting warranty work on Jaycos if I purchased the trailer there. I was under the impression that any Jayco dealer should honor my warranty.

Can anyone clarify the Jayco warranty policy for me? I'll call Jayco also but thought I might get a quicker answer here
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #2

Bring it to the dealer you bought it from. I know most dealers will service people that bought from them first. You can't blame a dealer for looking after people that supported them first, I'm sure they will get to you eventually. That is why I prefer to buy local.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

Perhaps not an "official" answer, but that is the same basic understanding my local Jayco dealer gave me...if you do not purchase the unit from them, they are not obligated to perform warranty work, and if they do you may well find yourself in the back of the line. Actually, it was one of the reasons we purchased locally instead of driving several hours. Over the years, I've never taken a trailer in for warranty work (we've always bought used), but when we bought our new Jayco the slight increase in price over a distant dealer provided the peace of mind that the local dealer will honor the warranty work and get it done in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

We have ordered a 5th wheel from a dealer 8ish hours from us. They are $7000.00 less than our local dealer. I have tried repeatedly speaking with our local dealer, and I want to support local, but not $7000 worth of support. They will not budge from their price, and have told us that since they are the only Jayco dealer within 5 hours, they can charge more, and will. Very arrogant. Also, they have told us if we don't buy from them, good luck getting service. They said if we bring our unit to them, it will sit and be the last thing they will work on.....

So,
With that attitude, I really don't want to shop with them.
If I need warranty work, I will call them up and see what happens. I can't imagine the Jayco factory would be happy to get a call about this type of behavior from a "signature" dealer.

Didn't ask my local dealer what would happen if someone bought a RV from a dealer 10 hours away, and then moved to the area?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
Can anyone clarify the Jayco warranty policy for me? I'll call Jayco also but thought I might get a quicker answer here
In my opinion, you are better off getting the info from Jayco than trying on this forum

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

I've been told the same thing by RV dealers. Except maybe Camping World, but they are so awful it doesn't really matter if you're on the front of the line or the back - you're probably getting hosed anyway.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I was told that they are only accepting warranty work on Jaycos if I purchased the trailer there. I was under the impression that any Jayco dealer should honor my warranty.

That has always been the issue with RV's. It's not like an auto dealer whose.computers are tied to a national network. If you didn't buy it there you may or may not get work done, usually traveling is the exception.

Definitely contact JAYCO since they have been known to authorize " non dealers" to do service.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Unlike the auto industry, this is the MO for RV dealers. Jayco's official response is that you can take it to any dealer. Trouble is most dealers generally won't do warranty work on what was not purchased from them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

People need to start calling Jayco when they have this type of problem. What if you buy in one state and then move? This leaves a sour taste in my mouth if this is how Jayco allows their dealers to operate. It should be first come, first served, whether you bought it from that dealer or not.
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:

I called a local Jayco dealer in south jersey who will at this time remain nameless, and asked if I could bring the trailer by to have it looked at under the warranty. Which brings me to my point.

This dealer doesn't want your business, now or in the future. Why try to give him more business? I have to drive 2hrs to get to a dealer, north or south...
Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

Everyone will have an opinion on this and will have their own experiences with it. My opinion - if they don't want to service it because you didn't buy it from them, then you don't want to be there for service anyway. Call Jayco and tell them the problem, they will help you with locating a good place for you.

My experience, I live in AZ, bought from CA because the AZ dealership was on drugs when they came up with the price for their trailers. I have been in for service a bunch of times. I talked with the service guy recently and asked them how they get paid from Jayco to get reimbursed. If I remember correctly, he said they get 85% of their normal hourly rate and all the parts free from Jayco. He said Jayco is the best to deal with because they are easy to get approval from. He said there were other manufactures that only want to pay 50% hourly and say the time it takes for the item to be worked on is 50% less than actual. He said those companies are really hard to get approvals from and they try to not do any of the work - reject the first time and then the dealer has to argue/fight for the customer.

I personally don't understand why dealers service departments would turn away work. 85% labor rate is better than 0%. If they deny once for warranty work, my guess is that customer won't ever go back to that dealership to get non-warranty work completed or buy from them. It would put a really bad taste in my mouth and I don't forget experiences like that.

Let me get off my high horse now.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I personally don't understand why dealers service departments would turn away work. 85% labor rate is better than 0%. .
95% of the time it's do to being under staffed since there is a major shortage of qualified techs. They only accept what they sold since they need to take care of their customers first instead of making them wait even longer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

So I guess I will speak up. I think the chances of ever getting warranty done is very low. 1st you need to make sure you cover the rip if you have not done so so no water can get in. The reason I said what I said the roof is the hardest part of the trailer to get covered. When you said what it looked like it sounded like you hit something. And that is not covered and they will say the trailer was fine when you left. If you didn't check the roof it is your word against them and if you did check it then you know it wasn't that way. Understand I'm not saying you did or didn't just saying I'm afraid you won't get anything done. If you do than all I can say is rock on. If not their are plenty of people that can help you to fix it your self. And congrats on the new trailer.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #14

I bought our trailer 400 miles from home. When a warranty issue came up the closest dealer wanted $250 above what Jayco would pay him to do the warranty work.

I told him to get stuffed. A dealer a little further away handled the warranty issue no problem.

I passed the whole story to Jayco. Their response was basically - we don't like that attitude but each dealer is an independent business.

Needless to say I will never buy anything from Dealer 1 and I am quite happy to tell others about their attitude.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #15

This information is troubling to me. I need some warranty work done on my new camper. I am using the dealer I bought it from and so far I have called 3 times and emailed once and have had complete lack of follow up. They say they will call back but never do. I am trying hard to like this dealer, but I get the feeling that customer service is a systemic problem in the RV industry. Honestly, quality doesn't seem to be very good either. I guess I should have bought a new Motercycle instead of an RV.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflyboym View Post
This information is troubling to me. I need some warranty work done on my new camper. I am using the dealer I bought it from and so far I have called 3 times and emailed once and have had complete lack of follow up. They say they will call back but never do. I am trying hard to like this dealer, but I get the feeling that customer service is a systemic problem in the RV industry. Honestly, quality doesn't seem to be very good either. I guess I should have bought a new Motercycle instead of an RV.
The Jayco dealer service department that has done my warranty and other work has been AWESOME! They are Affinity RV in Prescott Valley, AZ . I'm giving them a 'shout out' because their service has been so outstanding on a topic that often has a lot of negatives.

Good service is out there!

(Affinity other service locations in the area, but I don't know about those, only Prescott Valley. BUT, Affinity sales department in several locations seriously disappointed me.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #17

Our experience has been great with the dealer we purchased our last 3 units from. They've been in the same location for over 30 years.

In my opinion and experience:

Any Jayco dealer will help you out with warranty repairs if you are on vacation.

Camping World is the absolute worst for repairs.

The Jayco Factory Service Center is the absolute BEST for repairs.

Our dealer has always been upfront with us about serious, heavy duty repairs... They CAN do it, but it can take months. At their suggestion, we have been to the Jayco Factory Service Center 3 times. It's the best because they don't need "authorizations", they have the parts and special tools to do the job fast, and they are not just very knowledgeable, but are also very nice folks.

The last time we were there, what would have taken several months at the dealer took 4 days at the factory.

So if there is any way, take it to the factory! We made a min-vacation of it, and played tourist while Jayco worked their magic. It was a 10 hour drive, but it was worth it.

JMHO
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
The Jayco dealer service department that has done my warranty and other work has been AWESOME! They are Affinity RV in Prescott Valley, AZ . I'm giving them a 'shout out' because their service has been so outstanding on a topic that often has a lot of negatives.

Good service is out there!

(Affinity other service locations in the area, but I don't know about those, only Prescott Valley. BUT, Affinity sales department in several locations seriously disappointed me.)

I have had good luck with World Wide RV in Mesa, AZ. I don't know how their sales department ever sells trailers at the prices they want (I saved $7000 by buying in CA (Richardsons RV in Menifee is where I picked it up, but bought from their Riverside internet sales team as their price was better)), but the service department has been good. Also, Jayco has been really good about covering everything I have needed done without any push back. You are right, there are good places out there. All will have their problems, but so will every other company in the world.

One other suggestion - use the warranty as much as you can. You paid for it when you bought the trailer (included in the purchase price). Having 2 years standard, there is not a better warranty out there.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #19
Wyn

The Jayco dealer I purchased my motorhome from in North Jersey has an excellent service department, I have had various warranty issues, and all have been taken care of in a timely fashion and their work is high quality. I mention this in the spirit of fairness, as not all dealer service departments are bad.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #20

I had warranty work done at the purchasing dealer which is 1300 miles from my home. I have had the rest of the warranty work done at a dealer near my home and the service has been excellent. I had a problem on the road and called Jayco direct for resolution and they sent me to the nearest Jayco dealer for assistance. My unit is almost 2 yrs old now and it had it's share of warranty work. Most of it was small except repainting the front cap that faded. If you have a dealer that tells you he will put you at the back of line for service work what makes you think he would honor anything he promises? Looking for a good dealer near you try asking other RV owners on this forum or another brand forum for some recommendations.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote