Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Jayco Warranty Work

Since I have been critical of Jayco in the past about a couple of things on my trailer, I thought it only fair to report when they do something well.

We own a 2015 Seismic 3712. We have a "punch list" of things that need done, but are not near the dealer we bought it from (we bought in Ohio and are currently in California). I spoke with Manteca Trailer and Motorhome in Manteca, CA about getting the work done, and was told that they charge an hourly "inspection fee" that is hourly at $140 per hour. They told me that with my list, it would take "about two hours" to look at the unit and submit to Jayco, meaning I would be paying almost $300 to have warranty work done.

I called Jayco and asked about this practice, and a very nice lady told me that although they cannot do anything about it because they do not own the dealership, they do not think that their customers should have to pay to have warranty work done, and gave me the number of another dealer they thought could do the work. I was also told that if I cannot find a dealer within a reasonable distance, they would approve someone to come to me to look at my unit. Basically, they politely told me to tell the first dealer to pound sand.

I now have an appointment at another dealer and we will see how the warranty process goes, but so far so good. I will now be avoiding Manteca Trailer and Motorhome for future purchases.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

I think it's common in the RV industry for a non-selling dealer to be a bit uncooperative in repairing a warranty defect. But the idea of charging for an inspection is ridiculous. And a practice that Jayco should put a quick stop to. I wonder - does Jayco have any agreements with their dealers that define what a dealer's responsibilities to customers are?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I think it's common in the RV industry for a non-selling dealer to be a bit uncooperative in repairing a warranty defect. But the idea of charging for an inspection is ridiculous. And a practice that Jayco should put a quick stop to. I wonder - does Jayco have any agreements with their dealers that define what a dealer's responsibilities to customers are?
I would think if dealer that sells a particular brand, they would be obligated by the manufacturer to do the work. Shouldn't matter if you bought it from them or not. I can take my Ford to any dealer in the country and they have to fix it. Just my thoughts
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

My dealer told me that they will do any Jayco warranty work because Jayco always sends a check.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

My local dealer couldn't (wouldn't) make the deal I wanted so I went elsewhere. When I called them later about warranty work I was politely told they had no time for me, they were booked up working on rigs that were purchased from them. So be it, I'll take all my business elsewhere.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #6

I bought my first Jayco from Manteca. They were very clear with me then that if they didn't sell the trailer originally the customer would be responsible for the difference between the shop rate and warranty reimbursed rate. Didn't think much of it at the time, I was a novice and planned to purchase from them anyway. It was a good transaction at a good price and the only time I required warranty work they were very quick to get me in and out with no hassle.

Two years later we were looking to trade to the QBH. Manteca and I couldn't come to an agreement on trade-in and new purchase price. I really tried to work with them, but the environment around there was completely different. Maybe something changed or maybe they didn't my business this time around, either way I didn't buy from.

The sales manager called me a couple times after I left to change my opinion, but he didn't attempt to do that by working on either the purchase price or trade in value, but rather reminded me of a lot of their shop policy's for warranty work on units they didn't sell.

So not only did I not purchase from them, I doubt I ever would again unless something changes around there for the better.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

They do seem to be more about pressuring than some other dealers I have visited. With more input, maybe Jayco will step in. I doubt they want people thinking that their dealers charge for warranty work.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I would think if dealer that sells a particular brand, they would be obligated by the manufacturer to do the work. Shouldn't matter if you bought it from them or not. I can take my Ford to any dealer in the country and they have to fix it. Just my thoughts
It was explained to me once that RV dealerships are not franchises of the brand the way automotive dealerships are. I guess this is an important distinction in what authority the brand has over the dealership.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
RV dealers are not "franchised" like auto dealers so they are not obligated to work on units they didn't sell. Many even will put you at the back of the line if they do agree to handle the repair.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #10

I myself think the rv dealerships tend to have a lot of management turnover and then the quality and or attitude changes. The manager that dealt with us on our purchase and tried very hard to help us was gone when I went back to get my warranty repairs done. I hope our deal we got wasn't what caused him to no longer be there but over half of the people that were there when we bought were no longer there. I wonder how in the world Jayco would keep up with that kind of turnover when the people they original dealt with are no longer there. Who knows whether the people there now even know how to make the proper repairs. Shoot at 140 dollars an hour maybe I ought to get out of the car restoration business and start a rv repair business lol
Old 04-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #11

DH is in another service business. People who have purchased equipment from him justly get top priority as he promised service after the sale when selling the equipment. Those that purchased the cheapest price they could negotiate from someone else get service when it can be worked into the schedule. I think that's fair, don't you?
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #12

I think it is OK to take care of your best customers first, but you should handle all repair/warranty work in a timely manner. I know when I bought my camper they said the same line to me, they used that as a reason to not negotiate the price with me. I didnt let that ploy work. Everyone at the dealership is great, they treat me well and have done all the warranty work quickly. However, I can say that everytime I go there I always buy something from the parts store as well as having work done on the trailer. I stop there a couple times through out the year as well and buy something from them. They recognize that and I feel that makes you a good customer as well.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Selling products and servicing products should both be profitable businesses. So, I see no difference in who is scheduled for service first. JMO.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
It was explained to me once that RV dealerships are not franchises of the brand the way automotive dealerships are. I guess this is an important distinction in what authority the brand has over the dealership.
Thanks for the info. Wish I would have realized this before ordering from a dealer 6 hours away.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
RV dealers are not "franchised" like auto dealers so they are not obligated to work on units they didn't sell. Many even will put you at the back of the line if they do agree to handle the repair.
Thanks for the info. Again, wish I would have realized this before ordering from a dealer 6 hours away.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I now have an appointment at another dealer and we will see how the warranty process goes, but so far so good. I will now be avoiding Manteca Trailer and Motorhome for future purchases.
A tad further north and just before Stockton is French Creek where a huge PanPacific RV Center is located. We purchased our Jayco from their Morgan Hill location and they've been great with our warranty work ~ might be worth a try.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

I will check that out, thanks. This is something that the RV industry as a whole needs to work on, if only to have happier customers in the end. They are a couple of decades behind the car dealerships in terms of this, and that is setting the bar pretty low.

TexasRT, Jayco told me that if I couldn't find a dealer reasonably close that they would authorize someone to come to me. Six hours away should qualify, I would think. You might try that route if your local dealers won't treat you well.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
DH is in another service business. People who have purchased equipment from him justly get top priority as he promised service after the sale when selling the equipment. Those that purchased the cheapest price they could negotiate from someone else get service when it can be worked into the schedule. I think that's fair, don't you?
I understand that theory and think that is fair to a certain to a point. But to blatantly put someone off or try to charge for warranty work for a brand they sell, actually is not fair and in my opinion very bad business. I'm in no way saying your DH operates this, I'm just talking in general.

Yes, we ordered our 5'er from a dealer 6 hours away because of a $6500 savings compared to local dealers, and that was after we added all the options offered. Neither of the two Jayco dealers in our area (one being nationwide) would work with us on price.

So if we need warranty work should we get treated like we own some off-brand they've never heard. I'm sure Jayco wouldn't like the fact that a dealer representing their product would be treating people that way. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I will check that out, thanks. This is something that the RV industry as a whole needs to work on, if only to have happier customers in the end. They are a couple of decades behind the car dealerships in terms of this, and that is setting the bar pretty low.

TexasRT, Jayco told me that if I couldn't find a dealer reasonably close that they would authorize someone to come to me. Six hours away should qualify, I would think. You might try that route if your local dealers won't treat you well.
Thanks for the info. We are still waiting to take delivery at the end of the month and hopefully there will not be any major issues IF work is needed. There are actually two dealers in my area but we didn't buy from them, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #20

IMO I think the dealer's initial obligation is to "their" customers. As a customer I would expect them to put me before "non-customers". If I'm a dealer and have 10 TTs needing service when the camping season starts, those who bought from me will get serviced first.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote