Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Jayco YouTube Site

I'm trying not to be critical here, but I think the Jayco channel on You Tube needs some major improvements! Compared to other manufacturer channels like Keystone and Forest River, Jayco's seemed very old and not as exciting! I'd love to see more up-to-date technical and plant tour videos!

All in all, we did purchase a new Jayco fifth wheel and really loving it!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
I'm trying not to be critical here, but I think the Jayco channel on You Tube needs some major improvements! Compared to other manufacturer channels like Keystone and Forest River, Jayco's seemed very old and not as exciting! I'd love to see more up-to-date technical and plant tour videos!

All in all, we did purchase a new Jayco fifth wheel and really loving it!
I have come to the conclusion that Jayco is making so much money that they just do not care about much of anything.

Their marketing sucks, they have no control over their dealers, their quality control is non existent, and their website sucks, as well.

They seem to pawn everything off on the dealers (i.e. repairs) including marketing. The only YT videos I saw by Jayco were not even two minutes and provided no real information of any use. Not even a page with links to all their vendors or products.

On the other hand, you have dealers like Haylett that provide some of the best videos on their products with walk throughs. If it had not been for this dealer effort, I would never of bought my 330RSTS sight unseen.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I have come to the conclusion that Jayco is making so much money that they just do not care about much of anything.

Their marketing sucks, they have no control over their dealers, their quality control is non existent, and their website sucks, as well.

They seem to pawn everything off on the dealers (i.e. repairs) including marketing. The only YT videos I saw by Jayco were not even two minutes and provided no real information of any use. Not even a page with links to all their vendors or products.

On the other hand, you have dealers like Haylett that provide some of the best videos on their products with walk throughs. If it had not been for this dealer effort, I would never of bought my 330RSTS sight unseen.
Man, Dude...take a chill pill. You're bringin me down.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

Jayco YouTube Site

X2 with the Haylett comment. Josh Winters does a fantastic job with his walk throughs. I must have watched no less than 40 different videos before making my decision on a North Point 375BHFS
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

I enjoy Josh Winter's videos as well. I just wish he wouldn't beat the crap out of the cabinet doors so much, or jump up and down in the shower.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Man, Dude...take a chill pill. You're bringin me down.
Sorry. Call them as I see them.

I can not tell you how many hours of research I did before making a decision on a floor plan and a manufacturer. Of that time, only about 1% of my effort was on Jayco's website.

The Grand Design\Reflection was my second choice and although their quality was obviously better, in my experience, floor plan wins 9 out of 10 times, hence my decision.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I enjoy Josh Winter's videos as well. I just wish he wouldn't beat the crap out of the cabinet doors so much, or jump up and down in the shower.
Yeah, but you get to watch it all from "the corner of Boardwalk and Park Place."

LOL

P.S. I do not even want to admit how many of his videos I watched. He is very knowledgeable on his products and I learned a lot watching them.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

I use his videos as training for my retirement gig. Lol
Old 01-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #9

Now you got me thinking again. what other brands should I be thinking about?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Yeah, but you get to watch it all from "the corner of Boardwalk and Park Place."

LOL

P.S. I do not even want to admit how many of his videos I watched. He is very knowledgeable on his products and I learned a lot watching them.

Don't forget "dads medicine cabinet"

I've watched too many of his videos as well but he does do a great job with them

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
Now you got me thinking again. what other brands should I be thinking about?
I really like the Grand Design quality. Just not lots of floor plans to choose from.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #12

Grand Design has always been on a short list for us, thought they offer nothing we really want, but they have one problem I can't get over, and Jayco has the same problem. They all put darco wrap under the slides, and FAIL to cover screw holes where the floor is screwed up into the side walls. A brand new unit on the lot will have a rotten floor in no time due to the wicking of the screw holes.

Sorry a little off topic, but I try to throw this warning out there every chance I get for those looking / shopping. Look under the slides on the ends please. No brand is really superior in this area, except for a few that use a different design. There is a solution, but hardly any manf. does it. I fixed mine from day one with end caps. $16 worth of parts, $1000's worth of damage eliminated.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

I guess I have to also put in a good word about Jayco. To make a long story short we bought a 2006 Jayco 19H used from a private party in 2011. When we drove in rain, water would seep in through the hinges. I wrote to Jayco and explained the problem I was having and after series of back and forths with the customer service tech and a final letter to the CEO of Jayco they are replacing my front bed door with the new redesigned hinges. They are not only replacing the door but the labor to install it as well. I have to say that after this experience I have to give Jayco a thumbs up for the decision they made. Nine years old and out of warranty I would not look any further if and when I look for an upgrade.
campitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Grand Design has always been on a short list for us, thought they offer nothing we really want, but they have one problem I can't get over, and Jayco has the same problem. They all put darco wrap under the slides, and FAIL to cover screw holes where the floor is screwed up into the side walls. A brand new unit on the lot will have a rotten floor in no time due to the wicking of the screw holes.

Sorry a little off topic, but I try to throw this warning out there every chance I get for those looking / shopping. Look under the slides on the ends please. No brand is really superior in this area, except for a few that use a different design. There is a solution, but hardly any manf. does it. I fixed mine from day one with end caps. $16 worth of parts, $1000's worth of damage eliminated.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? What do the end caps look like and where do you get them? Could eterna bond tape be used?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #15

Best way to see the problem, is spray some water on the end of your slide. Watch it run down, then look what it does when it gets to the bottom. It runs up under the slide a bit, and if there are exposed screw holes, it wicks water into the wood floor. Another common problem is the darco material wearing, specifically on the slide ends. The material just doesn't hold up over time, even with the slick wear strip on the slide ramp.

I'm having trouble attaching a picture due to bad sat connection offshore now. For now, maybe you can check out this link, scroll down and see where I posted the pictures of them on our previous rig.

wood showing under slide out - Page 3 - Forest River Forums

One company that makes them is Majestic Formed Plastics. The sole purpose of these pieces is to prevent wear on the darco and the wicking of water into the screw holes and/or wood. You have to remove the end trim to install them. The cap goes about and inch or more up the side wall (covered by the end trim after installation) and extends under the slide about 6-8". They are L-Shape for lack of a better term. They come in pretty long lengths to accommodate the deepest slides, so a lot of times you have to trim to fit. On one end, they are shaped just like the wedge of the slide floor, the other end is what you cut to fit. You pull the slide in just a bit, jack the slide box up just a bit, then the end caps will slide under the floor. Some use double sided tape, others use a type of adhesive. If I can ever get a picture uploaded, I'll post it.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #16

Ok, here they are. A few of the piece itself, and one installed on one of our slides on previous rig. They make a left and right. There are a few dealers in Louisiana that are well aware of the problem and stock the pieces. I had a contact for the company, which said they'd sell me some later if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #17

Now I have to check, been under there but don't recall seeing screws. Where do you get that strip to make the repair BigJohnD?
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #18

Thanks John. I'll look into it. I used to be a FR owner once as well

Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #19

Edd, I bought them at 2 different dealers. After I had them in hand though, I took a shot in the dark and emailed Majestic with the P/N, and made a match. Here's their contact info.

Majestic Formed Plastics
69815 Brizandine St.
Edwardsburg, MI 49112
Phone 269-663-2870
Fax 269-663-2918

For additional please contact:
Dave Rheinheimer
drheinheimer@majesticformedplastics.com

This is the guy I had spoke with that said he could send some to me if need be. I think he had referred to them as "end caps". I've heard them called all kinds of stuff.

You won't really see the screws that well, but you'll definitely see the hole where the screw went in. And of course, if you have wear on the darco, you'll definitely see that when the wood starts to show on the end.

Others have come up with different fixes. I've seen some duplicate these plastic pieces out of stainless or aluminum. That's all good, provided it won't mess your floor up inside. Another alternative I've seen is someone take a drip edge, just like on your house, and cut it to fit under the end trim. This method does solve the water going up under the slide, but does not solve the wearing of the darco.

Tom, not to hijack this thread even more, but were you over their on that forum as well?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #20

Yes I was John. I had a coachmen. Same username. Learned a lot from old coot! [emoji1]