Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Jayco's Optional Bolt On Hitch

I was wondering who has the optional trailer mounted hitch from Jayco, and what do you carry on it? Jayco states it has a 300lb rating, but haven't heard back if that is at a certain distance back from the hitch as I know it decreases beyond that point the further back you go.

I would only be using it to carry 4 bikes on the rear, in a tray style hitch rack. Can't remember how long the rack is from the pin, but it is about 3' if I remember correctly. It would be (for now until our twins outgrow them) 2-20" full suspension ToysRUs mt bikes (almost 35lb each), and 2 Specialized full suspension mt bikes, about 30lbs each. And the rack is maye 40-50lbs...

I know that weight is an all new ball game once going down the road, even more so how far back from the axles the hitch & rack would be.

Just trying to do all our homework ahead of time!

TY to all!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

I have one. I haven't actually used it yet. My driveway is so steep and the trailer is so long I would have to park on the street and then attach the bike rack. I will probably do this in 3 weeks when we head to the beach though.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

TY Spoon.

Measurement of the rack is actually about 40" from pin to center of the rear bike. My bike rack actually increases ground clearance the way it was made. Comes out of the hitch, curves up, and levels off adding maybe 4-6" of clearance. Not sure if it would help with my driveway or not?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Yeah, this issue is a hotly debated question: some lean towards the worry wart pessimistic view that the 4" sewer hose tube isn't strong enough. Some lean towards go for it because the manufacturer clearly condones it.

Here my opinion: I have YET to see a single piece of photographic evidence that somebody's 4" tube has gotten ripped off the camper. I've been active in the Internet RV forums since my first popup in 2003, and this debate spans decades, manufacturers, trailer types, motor homes, etc.

Until I see pictures of damage, or somebody's bicycle dragging down the highway, I have no reason to doubt the manufacturers 300 pound rating.
If course the static load will be different than a dynamic load - that's simple 3rd year engineering school classic physics. BUT... Don't you all think the manufactures are aware this device is intended to bolt onto a piece of steel that will be bounced down a highway at 65 miles an hour!?

I guess my point is... Unless you are strapping a $3,000 racing street bike to this thing, don't we have bigger things to worry about? How about that gross 16,000 pounds we are pointing down the highway at 65 mph?

Is my snark-O-meter level rising? You betcha. But, just like the typical weight police answer of "the insurance co will deny your claim" I'm just tired of it.

Needs: go for it. I wouldn't worry until 15 years from now, when that 4" tube is rusted out and just the paint is holding it together. Until then, it's got the structural integrity to take the abuse. And if it doesn't, you'll know on your first trip, and everything is under warranty anyways. Just weight the bike rack and the bikes, and make sure they are under 300.

Craig
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Craig,

TY for the input!

But actually the optional hitch bolts to the tabs that are welded to the bottom of the I beam at the rear, not the 4" bumper unless I am mistaken.

And I hate to say it, but our bikes (wife's and mine) were up there in price when new. Wife's was a little less, mine was a little more. Not that I was very competattive due to not riding real serious, but I have raced and had fun. Even raced (or more so rode) the Iceman MTB Challenge, which is from Kalkaska, Mi to Traverse City, Mi the first Sat of Nov (unless Nov 1 is Sat, then it's Nov 8). ~30 mile point to point mtb race, with unpredictable weather that time of year! Could be 70*, or could be 10* with 8" of snow!!!

Plan on an anti wobble/rattle unit on the rack.

TY again!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #6

I spoke to a fellow camper at a rv park this past weekend about this. His bike were drug down the highway behind his TT, but not because of the bumper giving way, it was because the welds on the cheap bike rack he had bought had broke. I say go for it!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #7

I have the factory installed bolt on hitch. Bought specifically for hauling bikes. Finally got that part up and working this year. Note that almost ALL bike racks specifically state that they are not for RV use, due to the longer moment arm from the wheels, and stress on the racks. Swagman is the only generally available one I have found with a couple of models (but not all of theirs either!) rated for RV use.

The hitch's receiver ends inside of the bumper, so I ran into clearance problems with the rack hitting the bumper, as well as the bike handlebars able to bang the rear window of the 5th. I had to get a 12" receiver extension to resolve, as well as then had to engineer some anti-rattle clamping to keep everything from banging around while on the road.

This is what I bought after my first trip: http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

As far as bumper mounts: Sorry, no picture, but we parked next to a trailer that had it's rear bumper twisted down about 45 degrees just this spring. Owner said it was due to one trip with four bikes on a bumper mounted rack. Not a Jayco, though. My Swagman came with an optional bumper adapter, otherwise it needs a 2" receiver. I'm glad I had the hitch installed!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #8

Anyone know a cost on the bolt on hitch?
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

I think the msrp per the website is $180. I haven't talked to the dealer yet about it yet. Probably be this evening the way things are looking.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

OK, dumb question, but what website? All I find at Jayco is clothing and water bottles under the e-store.

Thanks
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Price I posted is under the options list of the Jay Flight trailers. You will probably need to go visit your local dealer to order one. I did a search, even on eBay and didn't find it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #12

Took the first trip this past w/e since I bolted the rear cargo hitch up. Had 3 bikes on it for the trip, 2-20" full suspension Toys R Us bikes (our tiwn boys bikes), and my Stumpjumper 26" hardtail. Probably about 90lbs in bikes, and close to 50lbs for the bike rack. Seemed to be fine as every bike was still secure when we arrived at the cg and home! I did buy one of the anti-rattle u-bolt kits to secure the bike rack. Ours just uses the standard 5/8" hitch pin, unlike some which use a bolt to secure the rack. It is a 4 bike (has the 2 bike add on kit) tray style rack with fork mounts (remove front wheel).

Next trip if we take my wifes bike again there will be 4 bikes on the rack. Didn't put her bike on the rack because if something happened to it, we can't replace it: Specialized Safire Komen Edition. Maybe it was crazy, but wanted to do a "trial run" first!

Will add a pic to my mods thread and mods photobucket.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #13

I did a lot of research on a bike rack rated for the back of an RV. I decided on this rack Dispatch Two-Bike Rack - Swagman 68684 - Bike Racks - Camping World and do not regret my decision. It can be used on RVs as well as vehicles. Very well made and strong. It even has a threaded receiver pin which takes out all wobble and movement and a locking cable to prevent your bikes from being stolen when on the rack. Mine is for two bikes and I don't know if they are offered for four bikes.

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

Gold,

I have heard good things about the Swagman racks. We have had our bike rack for about 18yrs now. Used numerous times in the car or truck hitch, but just started using it on the trailer. The u-bolt kit keeps the rack from bouncing in the receiver hitch, downside is you need a 3/4" wrench to install or remove the u-bolt kit.

Here is a pic of it for two bikes, didn't have the two bike add on kit installed at the time....

Old 10-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Gold,

I have heard good things about the Swagman racks. We have had our bike rack for about 18yrs now. Used numerous times in the car or truck hitch, but just started using it on the trailer. The u-bolt kit keeps the rack from bouncing in the receiver hitch, downside is you need a 3/4" wrench to install or remove the u-bolt kit.

Here is a pic of it for two bikes, didn't have the two bike add on kit installed at the time....
I really put mine thru the test this week, I went thru Memphis on I-40W. That has to be the worst road I have ever been on. After I got out of the city and North on I-55 I stopped at a rest area and checked everything. I thought for sure the bumper, hitch, or something would be damaged but everything made it with flying colors. The pavement was so bad that when the truck hit the holes the entire truck would shimmy like the tires had lost contact with the ground and were bouncing across the pavement. If this trip did not crack the stock welded bumper I figure I will be good to go

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote