Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

JayPlus Service Plan

Heard our new trailer is being dropped off at the dealer tonight which leaves one more decision to make. Has anyone purchased the JayPlus service plan and found any value in it? I'm being offered the Platinum plan ($100 deductible) for about $1,200 at time of sale and it seems like it would be worthwhile for the seven years of total coverage it provides, even if only just one major thing goes wrong outside of the two year warranty.

PS: I've found all the recent tips that have been posted on the PDI in the 5th wheel forum very helpful and hope it will lead to a smooth and complete delivery experience.
'95 Coleman Chesapeake
Spray56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the funds and it gives you a piece of mind, it's certainly worth it.
I think sometimes people are satisfied with the best 2 year warranty in the business, thinking most things will shake out within that period of time.
Also, I think it depends on how handy you are in fixing things that may go wrong after the warranty period.

Congratulations on the new rig.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

Dont worry. After a year we just got an offer in the mail for the "JayPlus Extended Protection" plan. We have till June to decide.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Consumer Reports generally feels you are wasting your money on extended warrantees.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

I have purchased 2 extended warranties (ever). 1 paid for itself and 1 didn't. I do not purchase them anymore. That's just my opinion. Everyone has to decide for themselves.
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

That is a hard one... Good luck with your decision.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Its a personal choice but I generally don't agree to them. I did buy the plan through RVDirect on my new Jayco, it netted me a decent rate drop on their finance rate (which my local institutions wouldn't match) so it nearly paid for itself. You will have to weigh the length of ownership time you expect and if the warranty is transferable to a new owner or another unit. The one I selected can do either for a nominal fee - something that is a strong selling point when selling your rig on your own (which I've done rather then trading in the past).
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Never tried the JayPlus, but we bought one from Interstate on both our 2011 and rolled it over to our 2012 when the tornado hit our 11. Can't tell you it's worth it as I've not yet needed it. But personally, it's worth peace of mind to us to not have to worry about anything going wrong and costing us $$ for the next 7 years. Good luck on your decision...
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #9

I purchased the warrenty when we bought our trailer. I see u live in ma. Where did u buy your trailer from. I purchased from forest marine. Second camper i bought from there and will continue to go back. i thought the plan was a good deal for a peice of mind.
mikeauto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #10

Does the JayPlus Service Plan cover water intrusion leak damage to the ceilings, walls and floors? This is one of the most expensive types of damage. Here's a link to the plan booklet: JayPlus Service Plan. I found nothing in the booklet showing that such water damage is covered. Interesting that the booklet does not include the specific exclusions of the Platinum Plan. I'll bet (but do not know) that water damage is specifically excluded.

Extended service plans are like a bet. The company that provides the plan "bets" that the covered repairs in the time period will be less than the premium, and the buyer "bets" that the covered repairs will be more than the premium. I've always believed that the company offering the plan sets the premium and coverage very carefully. Occasionally the owner will "win", but you are betting against very experienced odds makers.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #11

I have the Jayco Extended Warranty, but I didn't have to pay for it. After I had a deal on my new Designer and before I closed, Jayco announced a free 3 year extended at no charge.

This coming week I will use it for the first time replacing both cooling fans on my refrigerator. One of them has started making noise and the dealer is replacing both of them since the refrigerator has to be pulled out to get to them. I was told the $100.00 deductible is only $75.00 if you are having the work done at the original selling dealer, so doing the work and both fans for $75.00? Good deal for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

JayPlus Service Plan

I agree with RVhiker

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

We were reluctant on purchasing at first but negotiated the plan price on our 2010 Jay Flight and I recently used Jay Plus to cover a power steering hose line replacement on my 09 F150. The Ford service manager asked if I had extended coverage and told him the only thing extended warranty I had was the Jay Plus for an RV and he said that should work. After all said and done I paid a $100 deductible and the plan paid $248 I was surprised
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #14

I purchased a new Whitehawk at my local dealer last week. After reading what other people are quoted for the JayPlus plan and exterior/interior protection plans, I feel my dealer is really trying to take me to the cleaners. I was quoted over $2400 ($50 deductible)for the 7 yr. JayPlus plan and over $2300 ($100 deductible). The Northwest Protection Package from "Duratain" was almost $1700 for the full meal deal. Consequently, I'm not doing anything. They have priced themselves out of business in those services. I'm going to do the exterior with Rejex (I think) and we are adding a monthly amount to our car repair savings plan for trailer breakdowns.

Randy
Randy Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Englehart View Post
I purchased a new Whitehawk at my local dealer last week. After reading what other people are quoted for the JayPlus plan and exterior/interior protection plans, I feel my dealer is really trying to take me to the cleaners. I was quoted over $2400 ($50 deductible)for the 7 yr. JayPlus plan and over $2300 ($100 deductible). The Northwest Protection Package from "Duratain" was almost $1700 for the full meal deal. Consequently, I'm not doing anything. They have priced themselves out of business in those services. I'm going to do the exterior with Rejex (I think) and we are adding a monthly amount to our car repair savings plan for trailer breakdowns.

Randy
IMO pass on all of it. Save the $2k+ in your repair fund and you will be ahead of the game. As for rejex, I've never used it so I can't comment, but I do wax my TT twice a year and my TT still looks like the day I bought it...even stored outside uncovered.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #16

I have heard (not verified) that the sales commission on an extended warranty plan is greater than the sales commission of the unit itself. Kinda bothers me.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Occasionally the owner will "win", but you are betting against very experienced odds makers.
You hit the nail on the head.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #18

Just be sure that you read the exclusions before buying. The devil is in the details.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Consumer Reports generally feels you are wasting your money on extended warrantees.
They do, and IMO they're right. I have not purchased this, or any extended warranty on any of our vehicles or appliances, with the exception of vacuums, which suck (pun intended), and as a result have saved enough over the decades to pay for any repair several times over.

I bought a new laptop for $500 a few months ago. The store wanted about a hundred bucks for the EW. 20% extra mostly profit! And who wants to fix a 2 year old computer anyway?

Think about it. How many times in the past have you regretted not having bought an EW? It seems most problems exhibit themselves soon after use begins.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
DGW

If you get it, you'll hate yourself for spending all that extra money for something that MIGHT happen. If you do NOT get it, you'll hate yourself the first time you need it and don't have it. It's almost a no win scenario. That being said, I've had extended on 2 campers and both times it has paid for itself. Just bought a brand new camper and extended warranty was no brainer.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote