Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Just got a 23RD - newbie questions!

Hey all, thanks for making this forum a great resource for others. I've already gotten a ton of benefit out of your posts. We just brought home a 2017 Jay Feather 7 23RD this month. We love it and can't wait to go camping more.

I have a few newbie questions that aren't TT-specific, that I hope some of you can answer.

1. Do any of you in humid regions leave your vent fans open in storage? I just installed a vent cover so that we can open the vent in the rain, but I was wondering if leaving the vent open would help or hurt ventilation/mold/etc in the camper. We keep it in outdoor uncovered storage most of the time and we live in Florida where it is very humid. I've seen conflicting reports on which is better. We definitely want to get ahead of any mold problems since it is brand new, so any tips are welcome.

2. Is it okay to drive with the LP fridge on? We want to make sure it is cold when we get to our destination so I was hoping to be able to power the fridge while in transit, but I don't know if that's recommended or not. Our fridge is a 2-way, so we can't run it on 12v alone, it must be either LP or AC.

3. Are there any upgrades you find are worthwhile or ones that just aren't worth it? So far upgraded interior speakers and vent fan are on our list.

4. Is it worth getting the extended service plan on anything in particular? We want to get the extended plan for our fridge since those are expensive to replace, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

5. For those of you that store your RV when not in use, do you use solar or a battery disconnect switch? I've read that the battery can usually only last a few days due to the LP detector draining the battery.

Thanks!
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't buy extended warranties. Anything going out will happen within 2 year factory warranty in my opinion. After that, it's on me.
I leave vents open, but in Ohio. Would have to test in Florida and see if you have any issues.
Battery disconnect switch or just disconnect positve lead on battery during storage.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

Welcome!

Howdy and welcome to the forum,

We have a 23RB and have faced similar issues and mods.
1. Intransit, we leave the vent open. Storage in 80-90% humidity, nope.
2. Yes, Frig on Gas is fine enroute. Be sure to watch for the SOLID light, you may have to prime the frig by lighting a stove burner if FLASHING.
3. I'll list the mods on my 20 month old unit below.
4. Extended warranty - It's an insurance policy. IF you service the unit annually, pack bearings ever 24 months, and maintain tire pressure, in my opinion, it's not needed.
5. Depends on the size of the solar panel (mine is 5 watts/ too small) and whether it's covered storage. I have both. My trailer gets the afternoon sun and the solar panel will keep the battery alive for a week. Just installed a Marinco battery cutoff switch on the back of the battery box, for longer storage. If most of your camping is off the power grid, a lot of folks go with 2 batteries. We seldom camp without power, so a dead battery isn't really a problem.

Upgrades and mods:
1. Maxxair vent cover
2. Screen door bar
3. Door sun shield
4. Storage hooks for: the leveler crank, jack crank, TV cable, etc.
5. Digital thermostat, from Amazon Warehouse Deal - Saves $
6. TV mount - called Jayco, they emailed the framing diagram. Still use a stud finder, I have trust issues.
7. Bath tub splash guards. Oh sure, we always are level...
8. Winegard RV Wing Ant. booster from Amazon Warehouse Deal - Saves $
9. Winegard Sensapro digital TV amp from Amazon Warehouse Deal - Saves $
10. Camco 30 amp plug with handle
11. 22" step covers/carpet x 2
12. Camco stove cover from Amazon Warehouse Deal
13. Camco wheel chocks
14. Camco leveling blocks/lego style
15. Camco sidewinder hose support
16. Camco dual flush with valves
17. Added panel to separate the bed from storage - 1"x2" furring strips and 1/4" ply.
18. Good Sam Roadside Assistance (covers RV, tow vehicle, all cars in household)

To Do:
1. Speakers
2. Vent fan
3. Valterra Dominator sewer kit (waiting for a sale)
4. Furrion 30 twist cord kit or Marinco 30 Parkpower kit (waiting for a sale)

This is our 4th RV. Two Jayco popups and a 19' Funfinder prior to this 23RB. We will keep it for 2 more years and decide if we upgrade or go to a motorhome. I am retired Army and really want to see America. Sandy places without a beach, not so much.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote